03-24-2013, 03:05 AM
User Info
Now although I don't own any razors with this type of handle, I don't feel it gets the praise it deserves. Again, I don't know what it's like in use but to me at least, it's a very pretty, solid and classy looking tail to put on any razor head. It seems nice and thick with a good, sensible knurling pattern and the rounded end looks good too. Here is a picture from a very talented fella who is a font of much knowledge, a member here and a general, all round good guy:

[Image: 1936GilletteNewNorfolkChromiumCommonBarHandle.jpg]

I hope you dont mind me using your picture for this thread, Gary. T'was the best example I could find on the Interweb. Wink Smile

I'd love to see any pictures of razors sporting the common bar that you gentlemen and ladies, may have. Please feel free to say what you like or don't like about them be it from an aesthetic point of view or a practical one. I'm also keen to commission a friend to make an over-sized one from stainless so this thread would be a a great resource, just like the forum in general. So post 'em here and have me salivating at your prize (or otherwise) possessions.

Thank folks. Biggrin

1 253
 03-24-2013, 04:18 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I find the Common Bar handle, well... common!

To me it's uninspiring. The knurling is shallow, the handle is hollow and the detailing provided by the unknurled or shiny surface varies among the handles.

I much prefer the Tech style handle which provides significantly more detail, more grip and a weightier feel.

I believe a homage to the Common Bar was under consideration by a handle manufacturer.

91 17,875
 03-24-2013, 04:24 AM
User Info
I agree with Ben. They work, but uninspiring is a good adjective.

They also tend to split like the ball end handles.

I find it better than the hollow ball end handles, but prefer the fat handle found on the tech more than this one.

18 569
 03-24-2013, 09:36 AM
User Info
Very interesting, thank you. A well made solid stainless steel one with deep knurling and sized to suit still appeals hugely to me. I like its understated looks more than the fat tech handle but agree the latter works very well as a razor handle.

1 253
 03-24-2013, 07:10 PM
User Info
(03-24-2013, 03:05 AM)Gairdner Wrote: Now although I don't own any razors with this type of handle, I don't feel it gets the praise it deserves. Again, I don't know what it's like in use but to me at least, it's a very pretty, solid and classy looking tail to put on any razor head. It seems nice and thick with a good, sensible knurling pattern and the rounded end looks good too. Here is a picture from a very talented fella who is a font of much knowledge, a member here and a general, all round good guy:

I hope you dont mind me using your picture for this thread, Gary. T'was the best example I could find on the Interweb. Wink Smile

I'd love to see any pictures of razors sporting the common bar that you gentlemen and ladies, may have. Please feel free to say what you like or don't like about them be it from an aesthetic point of view or a practical one. I'm also keen to commission a friend to make an over-sized one from stainless so this thread would be a a great resource, just like the forum in general. So post 'em here and have me salivating at your prize (or otherwise) possessions.

Thank folks. Biggrin

Less is more,I think the elegant common bar is one of the best looking handles of all time.A reissue less susceptible to cracks would be welcome,but I'm not sold on solid stainless steel as a solution,IMO...there's such a thing as a handle that's too heavy,but it seems that heavy razors are popular these days.

I have nothing against nickel plated brass....

7 414
 03-24-2013, 08:48 PM
User Info
I love my 1934 Red And Black New DeLuxe. One of the best shavers I have. Never had any issue with the handle either. I think it looks classy for a razor made in the depression era. At least it does if the original cheap gold wash plating is still intact. I really like the head with the flat bottom plate as opposed to the one with the groove running down the middle.

Attached Files Image(s)

2 805
 03-25-2013, 02:06 AM
User Info
Good to hear from some folks that like the common bar! Now that is a particularly lovely example, Sunflake. The head of course is gorgeous but this handle has a greater aesthetic balance in my eyes. I really like how the top section echoes the bottom with an area of plain surface after the top band of knurling before going onto the neck piece. This, for me, lends it yet more simple elegance and is a refinement of the one I pictured at the top. Thank you very much for posting.

Aye, heavy razors. Being still fairly new to DE shaving (August last year) I've found that I prefer a heavy razor as it is more reassuring in the hand and somehow just feels right. I suppose it's a question of balance too so I very likely wouldn't like a handle with too great a diameter and the subsequent excess weight. Something around 14mm diameter by 85-90mm length would seem ideal. My knowledge of metallurgy is near non-existent but would nickel plated brass at the same dimensions be lighter than stainless steel? Food for thought indeed.

Thank you gents. Biggrin

1 253
 03-25-2013, 04:25 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Graeme I just read my post and I'm sorry it's tone was unflattering of the Common Bar handle. Although I may favour other handles there is no denying the popularity and absolute functionality of this handle. I want you to know that you are not alone in admiration for the handle and that I'm aware that a handle maker was giving much consideration to reinventing it (and you can't have much greater praise than that!)

91 17,875
 03-26-2013, 05:12 PM
User Info
Och Ben, never worry! Your post was just what I was after - an honest opinion. Can't say fairer than that even if you do live in the 'wrong' Perth! Tongue

1 253
 03-26-2013, 05:30 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Yes, the wrong Perth, but again imitation equals flattery!

My father went to university in Scotland and it's been far too long since I've had the pleasure of a Burns night...

91 17,875
 07-31-2013, 04:18 AM
User Info
Gents, just for your info...not advertising. Suddenly I have remembered this thread.
Handle maker who Ben was speaking is Rafael.

This project began in November, 2012. A british friend did the inquiry.
After 8 months, three finished prototypes (the first discarded), and one more unfinished and wasted proto, two handles are in hands of him.

Proto #2, 60 gr, knurled until the collar
Proto #3, 59 gr, slight ring at the collar

They are made of 316L stainless steel, 12 mm caliber, and 77 mm long, to fit in Gillette bakelite boxes.

Also they have a new UFO aristocrat knurling, more slimmer, more classy.
(This new knurling will be released with the future handle UFO Colibri in 12 mm caliber.)

This handle probably will not be part of the UFO catalog. It is an exercise. a custom handle to please the desires of our friend.
Here the UFO Common Bar
http://www.uforazorhandles.com/2013/07/c...ments.html

1 1,428
 07-31-2013, 04:54 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(03-24-2013, 08:48 PM)sunflake Wrote: I love my 1934 Red And Black New DeLuxe. One of the best shavers I have. Never had any issue with the handle either. I think it looks classy for a razor made in the depression era. At least it does if the original cheap gold wash plating is still intact. I really like the head with the flat bottom plate as opposed to the one with the groove running down the middle.

That is one beautiful and well preserved razor. Congratulations.

100 12,448
 08-02-2013, 11:26 PM
User Info
(03-24-2013, 08:48 PM)sunflake Wrote: I love my 1934 Red And Black New DeLuxe. One of the best shavers I have. Never had any issue with the handle either. I think it looks classy for a razor made in the depression era. At least it does if the original cheap gold wash plating is still intact. I really like the head with the flat bottom plate as opposed to the one with the groove running down the middle.
The New Deluxe head is one of my faves....

(07-31-2013, 04:18 AM)Dr Dulcamara Wrote: Gents, just for your info...not advertising. Suddenly I have remembered this thread.
Handle maker who Ben was speaking is Rafael.

This project began in November, 2012. A british friend did the inquiry.
After 8 months, three finished prototypes (the first discarded), and one more unfinished and wasted proto, two handles are in hands of him.

Proto #2, 60 gr, knurled until the collar
Proto #3, 59 gr, slight ring at the collar

They are made of 316L stainless steel, 12 mm caliber, and 77 mm long, to fit in Gillette bakelite boxes.

Also they have a new UFO aristocrat knurling, more slimmer, more classy.
(This new knurling will be released with the future handle UFO Colibri in 12 mm caliber.)

This handle probably will not be part of the UFO catalog. It is an exercise. a custom handle to please the desires of our friend.
Here the UFO Common Bar
http://www.uforazorhandles.com/2013/07/c...ments.html
Amazingly beautiful [Image: IMG_0019-1.jpg]

0 606