03-24-2013, 06:34 AM
User Info
I swear I saw a thread about this previously, but I've just searched the forum and can't find the info I'm looking for...

I just received a Turkish #6 Horse Hair Brush from bestshave.net, and I tried it out this morning. I liked it. But, I did find the smell a bit unpleasant. Confused I know that the smell will eventually go away, but is there a good way to eliminate the odor immediately? I would try using various soaps to rid it of its smell, but I don't want to ruin it on accident.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!

2 234
 03-24-2013, 06:39 AM
  • Ghostay
  • Glasgow, Scotland
User Info
I usually do a couple of test lathers with the brush to get rid of the smell, but I'm sure there are some better ways to do it.

2 26
 03-24-2013, 06:40 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
A bit unpleasant is an understatement for those brushes. You can do a vinegar mix but what I normally do with one of those is use the stinkiest strongest scented soap you have and make a few lathers with it. That will get rid of it.

116 3,804
 03-24-2013, 06:42 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
As Dave stated, find a particularly strong soap ... I use my old Tabac, lather/rinse/repeat ... all will be well! Smile

Note : no offense to Tabac lovers out there! Biggrin

102 17,665
 03-24-2013, 06:44 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
(03-24-2013, 06:42 AM)Agravic Wrote: As Dave stated, find a particularly strong soap ... I use my old Tabac, lather/rinse/repeat ... all will be well! Smile

Note : no offense to Tabac lovers out there! Biggrin

I was going to mention Tabac by name but didn't. That's exactly what I'd use. Tabac has a great scent (to me) but it will cover most any other smell.

116 3,804
 03-24-2013, 07:54 AM
User Info
Those brush stink like were made from the hair around the horses arse. Nasty! Between the stink and the big void in the center of my brush, i got rid of mine.

0 836
 03-24-2013, 08:05 AM
  • Elbe
  • Wolfsburg, Germany
User Info
It's made of pink horses making oink-oink. That's the reason it's smells so awful…

0 229
 03-24-2013, 08:17 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(03-24-2013, 08:05 AM)Elbe Wrote: It's made of pink horses making oink-oink. That's the reason it's smells so awful…

Haha!

I've always been skeptical of these brushes that are being sold as 'horse-hair' brushes. Their appearance and described characteristics are very suggestive of a more 'porcine' origin!

102 17,665
 03-24-2013, 11:19 AM
User Info
haha, okay. thanks for the info. it has really good reviews, even among nook members, so I thought I would take a chance. I doubt it's made out of anything other than horse hair, but it def is stinky horse hair!

I will try doing a vinegar rinse and then lathering up a few times, using tabac. Hopefully that will work.

If that doesn't de-stinkify it, I will just stick with my Omega Boar Hair brush. It's nothing fancy, but it works for me.

2 234
 03-24-2013, 12:14 PM
User Info
Hand-lather with an Arko stick - it'll smell less of horse (or pig - I suspect it's made out of whatever hair the manufacturer can scrounge up)... It'll smell like the Arko stick though, which can be a problem for those who don't like that scent.

The No6 is - in my opinion - a brush that delivers a lot more than it cost. Trouble is that when it's so cheap, corners like washing the hair is cut away from the production line.

3 3,562
 03-25-2013, 06:41 AM
User Info
The last #6 I got I simply lathered up a big bowl of Arko and left the brush in it for a few days.

0 252
 03-26-2013, 06:00 AM
User Info
That is what happens when you ride a horse named BACON!

[Image: wall-bacon-horse-head-450x337.jpg]

1 2,827
 03-26-2013, 04:04 PM
User Info
so i did several hand lathers, lots of rinsing, i soaked it for 8+ hours in vinegar, rinsed and hand lathered a few more times, let it dry then buried it in coffee grounds, did several more hand lathers, let it soak in some bay rum... and it still smelled like ass.

so, i tossed it in the trash. no one can say i didn't try. i found it to be really unpleasant smelling. and since i only spent a few bucks on it, i decided i had wasted enough time trying to de-funktify it.

i have a $10 Omega boar hair brush that does a perfectly acceptable job, and does not smell like butt, so I will just stick with that one.

2 234
 03-26-2013, 06:02 PM
User Info
(03-26-2013, 04:04 PM)el_mustango Wrote: so, i tossed it in the trash.

Good move. I went through nearly the same experience, though I did get it to the point where I could tolerate the stench after 4 or 5 nights in a row of lathering CO Bigelow and letting the brush sit in the lather overnight.

Life's too short to deal with garbage, even if it was just a couple of bucks. You couldn't pay me to take one of those turkish brushes now.

0 836
 03-26-2013, 07:07 PM
User Info
Them's bad boars made from hair that must have been growing out of poor little piggy's impacted anal glands. I had two and they smelled of badly managed sewage works. Waste of four bucks as the handles were atrocious, one knot had a huge glue bump that resulted in a top view doughnut and the other made the leaning tower of Piza look like a moral, upstanding citizen. T'was more bent than one of Uri Geller's spoons! Horse hair? Neigh chance. My bin ate them.....Wave1

1 253
 03-27-2013, 09:38 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(03-26-2013, 07:07 PM)Gairdner Wrote: Them's bad boars made from hair that must have been growing out of poor little piggy's impacted anal glands. I had two and they smelled of badly managed sewage works. Waste of four bucks as the handles were atrocious, one knot had a huge glue bump that resulted in a top view doughnut and the other made the leaning tower of Piza look like a moral, upstanding citizen. T'was more bent than one of Uri Geller's spoons! Horse hair? Neigh chance. My bin ate them.....Wave1

Laughing1

91 17,828
 03-27-2013, 05:56 PM
User Info
lol well I'm glad I'm not alone in my misery :-)

I'm not bothered by the loss of the brush. I'm much more bothered by the fact that my package from bestshave was so badly beaten up by the post office, that the copper bowl I ordered was mangled.

[Image: VoxsHR0.jpg]

2 234
 03-27-2013, 09:18 PM
User Info
I really like the #6, it's one of my favorite brushes. It did take about a week of work to diminish the scent, but I felt that it was worth it. I've heard that previous versions of this brush were seriously lacking in quality, but I find that the current production looks nice and works well...once you get it to stop smelling like a diseased horse.

Sent from my Transformer using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

6 327
 04-25-2013, 05:35 AM
User Info
i swear the faint odor of that damn brush still haunts my cabinet like a malevolent little ghost. worst $4 i've ever spent!

Angry

2 234