03-24-2013, 11:21 AM
User Info
I am not one for writing reviews but this soap caught me totally off guard! Chops Barber Shop in Harrisburg, PA created a house brand of pomades and shave supplies for their customers and also branched out onto Etsy from what I have read on Facebook from a group called ATP (Addicted To Pomade). I am a member there and I have been meaning to try out their pomade for quite sometime now and finally got around to ordering it. While on their Etsy page HERE I noticed they sell shave soap as well. While looking at one of the photos of one of their product listings I saw a Dirty Bird scuttle and thought they must be educated in the shave soap category as well. So I pulled the trigger on a Shea Butter & Olive Oil Shave Soap with my pomade order. They have 23 scents to choose from. I am always nervous about choosing a scent with my sensitive skin. I read several great reviews on the scent of their pomade on ATP so I emailed them and asked if they could possibly use the same scent for their shave soap as well. I quickly got an email back and they added the House scent for me to order. I was very impressed by that. I received my order 4 days later.

This is a big tub of soap! They advertise it in the listing as 8oz. but it looks bigger. It is a melt and pour type of soap but has a white cream tint to it. Their description says:

"8oz.

Shave soap with a Shea butter and Olive Oil base. Great for extra dry skin. Contains jojoba and coconut oil.

This is a harder soap and will last longer than our Olive Oil soap.

Use your shave brush directly in the jar!"

[Image: IMAG0181_1_zps33893aca.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0182_zps42ab0dd4.jpg]

I test lathered it not expecting a whole lot since I am not a big fan of melt and pour soaps. I mostly use MWF, Cade, and Valobra shave sticks. I loaded my brush for 20 seconds before I palm lathered. I did not soak the soap before I loaded my brush either. It loaded easier than I expected since they say it is harder than their olive oil base soap. Boy, was I blown away! It really reminded me of Cade by the way it lathered. It exploded with thick and dense lather in my palm. Later that night I face lathered for my nightly shave. It had lots of cushion which I have yet to experience in the other melt and pour soaps I have tried. It was also very slick for my razor. The scent is very nice as well. I am horrible at describing scents but I will try. The first whiff reminded me of egg nog in a way. I get hints of clove and nutmeg. It is very clean smelling though. I can smell the very faint undertones of the shea butter in it. Once again, it is very clean smelling. My face has never felt so moisturized after a shave. It was like I already applied an aftershave balm to it. That was another reason this soap surprised me.

[Image: IMAG0185_1_zps3dd33c8d.jpg]

Overall I am very impressed with this soap and I was not expecting it to make make such an impression on me to write a review. On a side note, the pomade I ordered is great too. I highly recommend this soap but as everything in the shave world goes, YMMV.

10 173
 03-24-2013, 11:28 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Very informative review ... Thanks!

102 17,664
 03-24-2013, 11:56 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I'm glad it worked out for you. Typically olive oil based soaps are hard to lather but doesn't seem to be the case with this soap.

45 3,955
 03-24-2013, 11:57 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Nice! One of several impressions I got out of your feedback is the fact that there are so many products out there, many "off the beaten path". We just have to find them! Thanks for sharing.

35 2,703
 03-24-2013, 12:02 PM
User Info
(03-24-2013, 11:56 AM)tgutc Wrote: I'm glad it worked out for you. Typically olive oil based soaps are hard to lather but doesn't seem to be the case with this soap.

That is why I ordered the Shea butter & olive oil base. They offer just an olive oil based soap but I haven't tried it.

10 173
 03-24-2013, 01:19 PM
User Info
(03-24-2013, 12:02 PM)J_Rock Wrote:
(03-24-2013, 11:56 AM)tgutc Wrote: I'm glad it worked out for you. Typically olive oil based soaps are hard to lather but doesn't seem to be the case with this soap.

That is why I ordered the Shea butter & olive oil base. They offer just an olive oil based soap but I haven't tried it.

Thanks for the great review J Rock!! Typically the olive oil AND the shea are both difficult to lather but we've come up with the right combination to make it lather well as long as load up the brush properly. I tested it in the shop for a while before we started selling it as well as the pomade and mustache wax.

ENJOY!

0 2
 03-24-2013, 01:38 PM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Excellent review! Thank you Jeff.

I love their pomade and the "house" scent is fantastic. When I saw the olive oil in the shave soap, I hesitated to pull the trigger. You've put my incorrect notion to rest. The lather looks superb.

Thanks again!

Eric

6 905
 03-24-2013, 01:44 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Thanks for your impressions about this soap.

What are its ingredients (the whole list)?

86 7,123
 03-24-2013, 01:48 PM
User Info
(03-24-2013, 01:44 PM)Teiste Wrote: Thanks for your impressions about this soap.

What are its ingredients (the whole list)?

I am not sure. It isn't on the listing or the soap.

10 173
 03-24-2013, 02:47 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
An excellent review. I do have one question though. Don't ingredients have to be listed, by law? Perhaps I'm wrong in that assumption but it is information that I would like to have in case I was knowingly allergic to one of them.

2 11,211
 03-24-2013, 05:48 PM
User Info
Freddy - soap is not considered a cosmetic therefore they aren't listed on the packaging. We did add ALL ingredients to the Etsy site where the soaps are purchased. Thanks.

0 2
 08-18-2014, 03:15 PM
User Info
Has anyone tried these soaps recently? I see that they were included in the "Shave of the Month" club, via a video that Nick Shaves did, and it looked like a pretty good option. They have a ton of interesting scents on their etsy site. I'd love to some recent opinions!

15 236
 08-19-2014, 07:08 AM
User Info
(03-24-2013, 05:48 PM)Chops Wrote: Freddy - soap is not considered a cosmetic therefore they aren't listed on the packaging. We did add ALL ingredients to the Etsy site where the soaps are purchased. Thanks.

Bath soap is not considered a cosmetic, but shaving preparations (like shaving soap) are. FDA regulation requests (but does not necessarily require) that all cosmetic shaving preparations have their ingredients listed in full under Title 21, Ch. 1, §720.4 ©(11)(vi) of the CFR. Just wanted to pass the info along. Smile

5 407