03-24-2013, 02:26 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
Can anyone tell me from their experience, what the relative aggressiveness of the M1 or R1 heads are to, e.g., the Fatip or the Merkur 38C. I am interested in a moderately aggressive head, something in between the 38C and the Fatip (or Fatboy set at 5).

Any guidance would be appreciated.

1 744
 03-24-2013, 02:53 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I would consider the R head as the M is quite mild...I also have the H and like the R41 you either like it or not. Personally it is hard to do better then the Merkur Progress because you can dial up or down with more range and at less cost.

6 1,913
 03-24-2013, 02:54 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I owned the ATT H1 which was fairly aggressive. Next would come the Fatip and a long time ago the 38C. From what I have been hearing the R1 would seem to fit right in there with what you are looking for.
As far as the M1(mild) is concerned it might be too mild for your tastes.

100 12,447
 03-24-2013, 03:49 PM
User Info
Good write-up here:

http://shavenook.com/thread-stainless-st...rt-6-added

47 1,114
 03-24-2013, 03:59 PM
  • Codfish
  • Product Tester
  • Connecticut Shoreline
User Info
From one of my posts:

"H Base Plate. The H plate, the most aggressive/effective of the plates included with the system, provides a blade gap of .036″. I am familiar with this base plate because of my experience with the Titan. I expected that like the H1, the shave experience would be very close to that of the Mühle R41. Unlike the R41, however, I find that I can use the H plate freely and without the need for close attention and concentration. The H plate, in use, is like using a well-behaved R41. My shave results are identical—with BBS results guaranteed nearly every time, and in just three passes, without need for worrying about nicks, cuts or irritation.

R Base Plate. The R plate provides a lesser blade gap of .023″. I had imagined that the shave experience would be similar to a Merkur HD, but found that it was closer to that of a slant. The R plate is easy to get BBS shaves with, and carefree in actual use. The quality of shaves were not as close as those of the H plate, but very, very close with three passes.

M Base Plate. The M plate provides the mildest shaving experience of the three. With a blade gap of .010″, I anticipated that the shave experience would be similar to that of a Gillette Tech or other mild DE razor. This class of razors is generally not well-suited to my wiry beard, and I have difficulty getting a BBS shave with my standard four-pass approach. In actual use, the M plate provided an excellent BBS shave nearly every time in four passes. The shave was close to or better than the results I get from my Merkur HD."

0 254
 03-24-2013, 04:44 PM
User Info
Im buying the 7-Piece ATT Atlas/Titan set with an extra top cap next month - will use the third head on my Ikon OSS handle Cool

22 5,064
 03-24-2013, 05:51 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
Thank you for your prompt and thoughtful comments. They make a difference.

(03-24-2013, 02:53 PM)Harvey Wrote: I would consider the R head as the M is quite mild...I also have the H and like the R41 you either like it or not. Personally it is hard to do better then the Merkur Progress because you can dial up or down with more range and at less cost.

I love my long-handled Progress, and will consider your advice carefully. It's good to save some money, e.g., I'm a soap-head.

1 744
 03-25-2013, 05:22 PM
User Info
I have had both the Titan R1 and M1. Before I start let me say that "for me" my most comfortable DE shaves come from a EJ or Merkur style head so that is my base line. I've always wanted something a little more agressive than an EJ or Merkur but could not find somehting that worked.

YMMV of course
- R41 was WAY too aggressive for me
- Fatip, also too agressive
- R1, a litle more agressive than I wanted, but if I paid attention I could get a confortable shave out of it. I just sold it but am kinda regretting it.
- M1, allows me to shave without thinking too much (like the EJ and Merkur) but is a little more agressive than either of those two. I plan to hold onto this one....... for now ;-)

(03-24-2013, 03:59 PM)Codfish Wrote: M Base Plate. The M plate provides the mildest shaving experience of the three. With a blade gap of .010″, I anticipated that the shave experience would be similar to that of a Gillette Tech or other mild DE razor. This class of razors is generally not well-suited to my wiry beard, and I have difficulty getting a BBS shave with my standard four-pass approach. In actual use, the M plate provided an excellent BBS shave nearly every time in four passes. The shave was close to or better than the results I get from my Merkur HD."

I would echo this, especially the last line "The shave was close to or better than the results I get from my Merkur HD". I find the M1 to be a bit more aggressive than the Merkur. I would say though IMO that the M1 is quite a bit more agreesive than a Tech.

24 212
 03-25-2013, 05:44 PM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
Blade gap is only part of a larger equation regarding the ATT selections. Blade "exposure" must also be factored in.

29 466
 03-25-2013, 09:25 PM
User Info
(03-25-2013, 05:44 PM)Samjax Wrote: Blade gap is only part of a larger equation regarding the ATT selections. Blade "exposure" must also be factored in.
and prep as in proper lather and blades too.

0 606
 04-07-2013, 04:28 PM
User Info
Currently enjoying my Titan M1.
I would suggest that it is more aggressive than a Muehle R89(L) but less than a Gillette Adjustable set @ "7".
Very well made. I life the heft of the whole piece.

2 150
 04-07-2013, 05:05 PM
User Info
(03-24-2013, 02:26 PM)Teddyboy Wrote: Can anyone tell me from their experience, what the relative aggressiveness of the M1 or R1 heads are to, e.g., the Fatip or the Merkur 38C. I am interested in a moderately aggressive head, something in between the 38C and the Fatip (or Fatboy set at 5).

I have a 38C and I've owned a Fatip and a Fatboy. My current daily shaver is the Atlas R1 and in my experience it falls right between the 38C and Fatip in aggressiveness. The Atlas pretty much put all my other razors in the display case. The only other razor I use regularly is a Schick Injector to shave my head!

Good luck in your search for the perfect razor!

Chris

0 74
 09-30-2015, 08:05 AM
User Info
(03-24-2013, 02:26 PM)I have the ATT Kronos and Atlas handles with the M1, R1, and S1 heads.  I use the M1 for a touch up if I am going out at night and already shaved in the morning.  I alternate between the R1, and S1.  I find the R1 to be the best all around head.  All in all these are beautiful razors.  I also own a feather and have had an ikon stainless that I sold.  The ATT is the best of them all, and the quality is second to none.  They can provide several generations with great, enjoyable shaves.  Worth the investment! Wrote: Can anyone tell me from their experience, what the relative aggressiveness of the M1 or R1 heads are to, e.g., the Fatip or the Merkur 38C.  I am interested in a moderately aggressive head, something in between the 38C and the Fatip (or Fatboy set at 5).

0 2
 09-30-2015, 08:10 AM
User Info