03-24-2013, 07:45 PM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
I recently acquired a birth year, 1966, Gillette TECH. It is in great shape. Dropped an unknown brand blade in it, a Super Platinum I believe. Smooth for sure but waaaaaaaaay mild. Man, I quit counting how many passes it took. I ran outta lather in my brush. Using Mikes Orange Stick. I finally rinsed and applied my homemade shave oil and finished up. I cleaned her up and placed her beside her other 4 1966 sisters on the display shelf. I like no nicks when shaving but damn the blade has gotta contact the whisker to cut it! Ball End Tech is a great newbie razor, but I ain't a newbie no more.

2 334
 03-24-2013, 08:43 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
I like a mild razor, and I'm not a newbie either!

Of course, the narrower the blade gap (as in a mild razor), the more exact the shaving angle has to be. This can be a challenge if you have a neck like mine with sharp peaks and gullies. I also make a wetter lather and apply it more thinly to promote the cut of a razor this mild.

- Murray

4 1,150
 03-24-2013, 09:09 PM
User Info
BL, you can make it more aggressive by shimming it. I find a Tech to be unusably mild too as is, but 2 shims installed under the blade makes it a pleasant shave for me. Not desirable, just pleasant. Shimming allowed me to put my travel tech back in the travel case.

To make a shim, take a spent SS blade and using scissors cut a thin ribbon of the cutting edge off of both edges. Removal of 1/32" is more than enough. Just remember the shim(s) are there when changing blades. Throw them away and you need to make more. Since they're Stainless they'll last forever if you hold onto them.

32 6,310
 03-24-2013, 09:42 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Is it an American tech? Aluminium or brass core?

I have American, English and Canadian techs. English Techs are heftier in my experience and shave the best. Don't give up on the Tech! They can give a very, very good shave. I regularly use a range of Techs, including an English ball-end and I have no problem getting a 2.5 pass smooth-as shave. I have coarse, red (now grey) hair.

There are some minor differences as we know, slight modifications over the years that can make all the difference. perhaps you just have an exceptionally mild Tech? I find the Tech gives a far, far better shave than the AS-D1, for example, but costs, what? One-tenth the price? Less?

Or, as per Shadow's advice just above, try a shim!

0 1,625
 03-25-2013, 06:30 PM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
I believe it's an American TECH. I'll post a photo in a few days.

2 334
 03-25-2013, 06:54 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Lately, I have been shaving with a US pre-WWII Tech head (triangular slots) on a hefty aftermarket handle (Sabi T2), which is a very nice combination.

The Tech with triangular slots is still fairly mild, but it has enough added blade gap to make an easier cut than with the later US Techs.

I also have a mint English Tech with an aluminum handle and a lightweight head, but I have never tried it out. It doesn't look like the typical English Tech, however.

- Murray

PS. I've always had a soft spot for Gillette Techs. I would love to get a nice English (and a Canadian) Tech to add to my US Techs.

4 1,150