03-24-2013, 08:37 PM
User Info
I've had a unique experience with some Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet aftershave balm, which I just bought because I already had the splash aftershave and liked it and because this balm is no longer made. I've used the balm twice, and each time it has smelled extremely pungent, with almost a rancid character, when first applied; but it became quite pleasant after 5-6 minutes; and actually smelled wonderful, just like the splash form, after 15-20 minutes. All of this was verified by my wife.

I have never noticed this kind of phenomenon with any other balms or with any splash aftershaves. Has anyone else had this experience of changing character?

184 12,003
 03-24-2013, 08:54 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I wonder if some of the oils in it have gone off, so until they dry/are absorbed, you can smell them?

10 1,858
 03-24-2013, 08:59 PM
User Info
(03-24-2013, 08:54 PM)Songwind Wrote: I wonder if some of the oils in it have gone off, so until they dry/are absorbed, you can smell them?

I guess that could be possible. I have no idea how old the tube is; I bought it from someone who said she had it sitting in a drawer "for quite awhile."

184 12,003
 03-25-2013, 07:04 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
John, no experience here but glad it turned in the right direction!

35 2,703
 03-27-2013, 12:58 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Sounds like the balm has a personality of its own. It's making you pay for the goodness it has in store.

43 1,690
 03-28-2013, 06:06 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I have the Hammam Bouquet EdT and it's been exactly as you describe from the start and has been since new. Biggrin

I had been on Basenotes for years and have a huge accumulation of colognes,EdT's etc. and some scents really have an acrid or fecal top note on application that thankfully dissipates.
After some reading and research on perfumery a while back, a lot of off putting ingredients are used in many mixes and either they are not individually noticeable and are added to the mix to ultimately enhance the scent or used as a fixative or lastly, in this case, you notice it before it burns off.

I think that this is the case with Hammam Bouquet and being a quality product, I'm not too surprised that what you describe is in the balm too. I'm VERY surprised that you don't notice it in the A/S splash though unless the added alcohol content or inherent nature of an A/S splash equates to less of a percentage of the scent oils. As mentioned, this is in my EdT in spades and it does burn off after a short while.

I don't think that it's because your balm is too old or has gone "off" for any reason.

Eric

6 905
 03-28-2013, 08:45 AM
User Info
Eric, your post is quite interesting and somewhat reassuring, although I was planning to continue to use the balm anyway, regardless of its possible lack of freshness. The unpleasant but transient first notes are tolerable. Assuming you are correct, I too am a little surprised now that I don't experience something similar with the splash aftershave.

184 12,003