02-27-2012, 11:07 AM
  • Ryan
  • New England
User Info
Just picked up D.R. Harris' Lerinia Hair Lotion 1/4 Oil and an Acca Kappa military style brush. In the past I'd typically use a paste or pomade for style and never brush or comb, just used my hands and fingers for styling. My hair has never been shinier and best yet it looks and feels natural.

0 12
 02-27-2012, 10:33 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I have the Geo. F. Trumper Eucris hair tonic, also oil based, and I really like the way it makes my hair feel and it does, indeed, put a nice luster into the hair. However, I tend to find that it leaves my hair looking somewhat flat.

2 11,211
 02-28-2012, 08:00 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I mainly use the Tabac hair cream. It comes in a green metal tube and all it takes is a pea sized dab. The hair cream leaves your hair looking natural and not overly groomed but, it does a great job of controlling the hair. I love the stuff. Of course if you like the really groomed look it will do that too...just use a little more.

45 16,307
 02-28-2012, 08:47 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Taylors Of Old Bond Street # 74 without oil. I bought it to compliment the AS and Cologne. My thinning hair needs control for special days and this works very well. I thought it a pricey gimmick until I read the ingredients. There are some subtle diffrences- mostly in alcohol formulae. I also invested in a KENT comb and have MWF shampoo on my hit list. Ironic, after a youth of using second rate products I'm assembling quality.
'Old age is a shipwreck.'- General De Gaulle

2 3,171
 02-29-2012, 03:09 PM
User Info
I picked up a tube of Brylcreem from a grab bag recently and have been using it for the last couple weeks. I even picked up a couple cheapo boar military brushes from Sally Beauty and have really been enjoying the results. I'll keep watching this thread to see what other products I may try in the future.

31 7,912
 03-01-2012, 08:22 PM
User Info
(02-28-2012, 08:00 AM)bullgoose Wrote: I mainly use the Tabac hair cream. It comes in a green metal tube and all it takes is a pea sized dab. The hair cream leaves your hair looking natural and not overly groomed but, it does a great job of controlling the hair. I love the stuff. Of course if you like the really groomed look it will do that too...just use a little more.

I agree with Phil on this one. I was fortunate enough to have gotten a tube of the Hair Tabac in one of the Simply Shaving forum's traveling boxes and I love the stuff. One of my teenage sons uses it as well so you know if a teenager likes it then it passes the "cool factor" test.

It smells exactly like the Tabac shaving soap and has what I would call a lightweight hold. It leaves the hair very manageable and definitely adds a nice shine.
(02-29-2012, 03:09 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I picked up a tube of Brylcreem from a grab bag recently and have been using it for the last couple weeks. I even picked up a couple cheapo boar military brushes from Sally Beauty and have really been enjoying the results. I'll keep watching this thread to see what other products I may try in the future.

You must have read my mind. I have been wanting to buy me a boar hair brush. I have seen them at a couple of stores for around $4.00 depending on the size.

0 123
 03-02-2012, 05:34 AM
User Info
(03-01-2012, 08:22 PM)koolereye Wrote:
(02-29-2012, 03:09 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I picked up a tube of Brylcreem from a grab bag recently and have been using it for the last couple weeks. I even picked up a couple cheapo boar military brushes from Sally Beauty and have really been enjoying the results. I'll keep watching this thread to see what other products I may try in the future.

You must have read my mind. I have been wanting to buy me a boar hair brush. I have seen them at a couple of stores for around $4.00 depending on the size.
I got mine for $2.49 each at Sally Beauty.

31 7,912
 03-02-2012, 09:27 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Another none greasy hair cream is "Groom & Clean" made by Suave available at Walmart for a couple of bucks. Works very nicely and you get a lot (4.5 oz 127 grams).

100 12,439
 03-05-2012, 05:47 PM
  • Qhead
  • Cleveland, Ohio
User Info
I use gel rather than lotion or cream and have found Anthony for men hair gel to be one of the best. A little goes a long way. It gives good control and is not sticky at all - no alcohol. The smell is a little weird but got used to that. It's pricier than most of the brand names though.

15 185
 03-05-2012, 09:43 PM
User Info
I too use "Groom & Clean" - after not using it for years I picked up a tube a few months ago.
I've found that even hours after I use it, it is still not dry. So if something disturbs your hair,
like maybe putting on a sweater, you are able to re-comb your hair without reapplying it.

0 79
 03-29-2012, 04:46 PM
  • Sargon
  • St. Louis, Missouri
User Info
The short answer is, IMO, "almost any classic product will outperform the mainstream modern ones." a slightly longer answer is... Tonics are lighter than creams and pomades, and tend to be better in summer ( they perform better in higher humidity in my experience, plus the oils in pomades and creams are less pleasant if you are sweating a lot).

1 189
 03-29-2012, 07:18 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
When I was young I used either Brylcreem or Vitalis. Talk about totally opposite products. Today I use nothing. Just shampoo with a good tea-tree shampoo and right now that is a product named Crew that I picked up from my local barber.

173 23,508
 03-31-2012, 07:42 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I use TOBS #74. It is excellent with my fine and thinning hair and complements the AS and Cologne.

2 3,171
 03-31-2012, 07:50 PM
User Info
I use Brylcreem or Groom & Clean in the morning after a shower. I use Pinaud hair tonics in the afternoon to freshen up the hair and cut the shine, especially if it has been a hot day

2 697
 04-04-2012, 06:42 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I agree with Johnny, opposite ends of the spectrum but.....I actually sometimes use Vitalis followed by Brylcreem. The combination seems synergistic in my hair, taming any frizzies and then adding some control and shine.
Otherwise, I have a .....pomade obsession...Cool I'm as outta control with pomade as I am with SAD/RAD/BAD. Grease, water based, beeswax, pastes, creams, etc. Crazy......and I have not so plentiful, thin, fine hair.

Has anyone ever tried any of the other tonics? Lucky Tiger, Jeris, Master, etc.??? The #74 sounds like a winner.

(03-29-2012, 07:18 PM)Johnny Wrote: When I was young I used either Brylcreem or Vitalis. Talk about totally opposite products. Today I use nothing. Just shampoo with a good tea-tree shampoo and right now that is a product named Crew that I picked up from my local barber.

6 905
 04-04-2012, 07:16 AM
User Info
I use the Booster cream with lanolin. It nicely controls without plastering. You just have to be very careful not to put too much in or else my hair looks greasy. I got a Kent military brush off their eBay site, so I think it was $10-15. However my barber (new) says that you should be able to style your hair with just your fingers, so I've been doing that and it looks pretty good; not as slicked down as with the brush.

72 1,407
 05-20-2012, 09:50 AM
User Info
I'm with EHV and the pomade obsession, I have thick wavy hair and used gels mainly but got tired of having hair that could cut someone. I started experimenting with Brylcreem, liked it but doesn't have the hold I needed. Then I tried a few waterbased pomades and was hooked, great hold, love the shine, and hair was pliable. I the ventured into what I call real pomades, grease, like Black and White which is awesome, Sweet Georgia Brown red tin, and lately thanks to my barber I mix Nu-Nile for hold with Royal Crown for shine and I like it A LOT! Although, it's getting warmer i'll probably stick with waterbased pomades like Woodys.
Cheers!

0 143
 05-20-2012, 09:56 AM
User Info
Just finished my tube of Brylcream. I've already picked up a replacement as well as some Groom & Clean. Both work well for me. I do think that I'm the boar brush may not work as well with my thick hair so I'll try to pick up a good comb here soon.

Any comb recommendations?

31 7,912
 05-20-2012, 10:17 AM
User Info
I use some vintage Houbigant Fougere Royale hair lotion that I picked up somewhere. It has separated over the years, so I have to stir it up a little with a straightened coat hanger before each use, but it works quite well and smells wonderful. If anyone has any ideas for remixing it, please let me know. I thought about using a hardware store paint mixer, but I doubt that the store would let me do that or that it would even fit in the machine.
[Image: IMG_5316.jpg]

184 12,002
 05-20-2012, 01:44 PM
User Info
Not a big "product" guy for my hair. It's kept short so that the only thing I do after showering and washing it is sort of run my fingers through it and and sort of lean it to one side. The problem is that it's quite thick and cowlicky (real word?) and without anything on it at all, it flys off in multiple directions. 4 years ago, when in NYC the guy who cut my hair turned me onto Moroccanoil and I've been using it ever since as has my wife and daughter. In fact, were it not for them, a single 32 dollar bottle would last me at least a year.

Just take about a dime size for very short hair and work it in and then shape. Has a nice nutty aroma which is quite faint and just enough hold. Plus, non-substantiated anecdotal evidence says it's good for the hair and scalp. It certainly hasn't hurt ours.

5 298