03-25-2013, 01:50 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Received today from Connaught in England. I ordered the Grande and it is SWEET.Base plate 99% the same...a very small bit wider 1 mm as I measure it.Changes are in the top plate which is also 1 mm wider and 1.5 mm deeper. This encloses the blade a bit more and curves it slightly. These are small changes but quite effective. I used the original 2011 model and the new one and used 2 brand new Derby blades because they came with it (as well as a pack of silver/blue Gillette)Used with less caution and love the sound of the blade. Definitely more mild but not TOO mild (we all have plenty of those razors)If fact in testing both I really don,t know why I do not use the original 2011 more often.If you want an excellent value and extremely well finished OC this is your shaving machine. The Grande handle is super and even though my other one has a custom BRW Aluminum handle there is no issues with the Grande.One other feature is that if you have detailed sideburns or like a sharp clean edge on your beard this will do it.Use a light touch and I,m glad they did not change it too much.

6 1,913
 03-25-2013, 02:24 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Great review Harvey. Mine is on the way from Connaught so when I get it I will be able to compare the 2013' model with the 2011' R41 which I previously owned.

100 12,447
 03-25-2013, 03:54 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I can't compare the new Muhle R41 because I didn't have the more aggressive, earlier versions. I shaved this morning with the 2013 model. Fine shave; perhaps I was going a little more cautiously, but I didn't find it an overly aggressive shave. Having said that, I wouldn't want it any more aggressive. The acoustics were interesting. I went for three passes just to see if it would burn (weird I realise) but I got no burn. I used the alum afterwards, not a lot of feedback. Used 444 mixed in with a balm: not too much burn. I'd say it was a like a Slim or Fat Boy turned up to 8 or 9. I like the dissipation of foam, though, that's quite good to observe.

I'd say it was a very good shave, good as a daily shaver to get through the stubble reasonably quickly on the way to work, say; the need to concentrate is a slightly higher requirement than usual, but nothing to cause any kind of concern. It didn't do a bad job WTG, especially over the chin line. I took a little more care right under the nose, though, just in case.

More aggressive than most fixed blade gap DEs, but this is not a scary monster. You definitely are NOT tempted to apply any pressure at all, because you know it's mowing the stubble down, not that you should apply pressure in any case, but as I say, any temptation to do so is eliminated. I think this is not a razor for someone starting out for the first time ever, but you can easily manage this new R41 easily enough. Quick learning curve.

I find the weight quite good really; I don't think it needs to be heavier at all. Not sure why people think it's too light: it isn't. Its standard weight is all that's needed to do the job. Balanced nicely: easy to find the correct angle, fairly intuitive.

That's my input; I am happy with this new acquisition,; I'll be using it a lot.

0 1,625
 03-25-2013, 05:30 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Thanks for the comparison Harvey, I'm STILL waiting for mine (last time I EVER order direct from Muhle)...

91 17,856
 03-25-2013, 06:42 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Muhle actually denies that the razor has been redesigned since 2011. Christian Mueller of Muhle states as such on my facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/321552225356/po...2809230357

45 16,352
 03-25-2013, 06:49 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(03-25-2013, 02:24 PM)slantman Wrote: Great review Harvey. Mine is on the way from Connaught so when I get it I will be able to compare the 2013' model with the 2011' R41 which I previously owned.

You should also compare it with the 2009 model. Gets confusing. Cool

45 16,352
 03-25-2013, 07:05 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
If the pictures that were recently posted are anything to go by, the newer 2013 R41 is significantly different. The amount of blade exposure looks to have been significantly reduced. If it hasn't changed, and the 2013 model I am using is anything to go by, then this razor has an undeserved reputation for being a blood-letting, fire breathing dragon that has to be wielded with the care of a brain surgeon. I think it must surely be a different razor; what I used earlier today was not that kind of an experience at all. Aggressive? Yes, but not a life-threatening experience.

(03-25-2013, 07:18 PM)bullgoose Wrote: I do not doubt that it has been redesigned. I do however wonder two things:

1) Why doesn't Muhle change the model number when they totally redesign a razor?

2) If it has been redesigned (and it appears that it has been) why would Muhle deny it?

It is extremely vexing!

Perhaps it's too much of an admission that they got it wrong last time (even though a lot of people think they got it right). Or maybe the person you spoke to at Muhle just doesn't know? It can happen within an organisation, left hand, right hand and all that.

Yes, agreed about the model number. If anything a small detail like that would make all three more acquirable (is that a word?)."Yes, I have all three models", etc. 2011: The Vampire; 2011: The Moulin Rouge; 2013: The Girlie Smile

I have just re-read all the posts on this topic. Am I the only one who has shaved with the 2013 yet and written about it?

I am really keen to read a comparison by an R41 enthusiast.

0 1,625
 03-25-2013, 08:03 PM
User Info
Shaun, IMO, with proper technique the R-41 is aggressive but just a fantastic razor, exactly as you described it.

My spare '11 R-41 head is with my buddy as I write and he's used it probably 5 times now and he says exactly the same thing about it. OK, he has more to say about it as well. He says it's not as aggressive as the Kampfe '13 LC I loaned him, but he does say it's aggressive for a DE razor. He's an aggressive razor fiend. Wink What have I done! Biggrin He'll never be the same.

32 6,309
 03-25-2013, 08:37 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I have all 3....R41...#1 OC same head as the Merkur. #2 New R41 from 2011 or whenever and the brand new #3 . There IS A DIFFERENCE....slight but effective. Good engineering does not need MAJOR changes. We all know there are plus and minus "things" which make us like a particular razor and because most of us have way too many....we keep buying,testing and moving around our favorites. I would bet that not a single one of us has and use just one razor. If we did R.A.D begone!!!At any rate maybe R41 became R41+ and now it is R41-.Compared to the PILS,IKON,s ,TRADERE and Above the Tie this is a real bargain....not made in America ...not stainless but a very good razor and I like it a lot.However I will still keep a 150 others or so in case of a razor shortage.SmileSmile

6 1,913
 03-25-2013, 09:01 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(03-25-2013, 08:37 PM)Harvey Wrote: I have all 3....R41...#1 OC same head as the Merkur. #2 New R41 from 2011 or whenever and the brand new #3 . There IS A DIFFERENCE....slight but effective. Good engineering does not need MAJOR changes. We all know there are plus and minus "things" which make us like a particular razor and because most of us have way too many....we keep buying,testing and moving around our favorites. I would bet that not a single one of us has and use just one razor. If we did R.A.D begone!!!At any rate maybe R41 became R41+ and now it is R41-.Compared to the PILS,IKON,s ,TRADERE and Above the Tie this is a real bargain....not made in America ...not stainless but a very good razor and I like it a lot.However I will still keep a 150 others or so in case of a razor shortage.SmileSmile

Are you saying it's milder than the 'original'? If so, according to your gauge, the 2013 model is two steps 'milder' than the 2011 model, yet it is still reasonably aggressive. The 2011 must have been a really aggressive beast then.

0 1,625
 03-25-2013, 09:13 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(03-25-2013, 07:05 PM)Shaun Wrote: Perhaps it's too much of an admission that they got it wrong last time (even though a lot of people think they got it right). Or maybe the person you spoke to at Muhle just doesn't know? It can happen within an organisation, left hand, right hand and all that.

Quite possible. Cool

45 16,352
 03-26-2013, 04:57 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I will repeat a recent email I received from Muhle addressing this question ( I sent to them ).

"Dear Jerry,
we have launched the redesigned version of the R41 razor in late 2011. We no longer sell the 2011 version and if you order now, you will be receiving the new design.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards,

Beate Unger

Kundendienst / Customer Support

--
MÜHLE / Hans-Jürgen Müller GmbH & Co. KG,
Hundshübel, Hauptstrasse 18, 08328 Stützengrün, Germany"

100 12,447
 03-26-2013, 05:25 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
(03-26-2013, 04:57 AM)slantman Wrote: I will repeat a recent email I received from Muhle addressing this question ( I sent to them ).

"Dear Jerry,
we have launched the redesigned version of the R41 razor in late 2011. We no longer sell the 2011 version and if you order now, you will be receiving the new design.

Beate Unger

--

That's an ambiguous reply. Post-2011 might mean two different things.

0 1,625
 03-26-2013, 05:38 AM
User Info
Does anyone have both and can post pics?

2 697
 03-26-2013, 06:08 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
The released it in late 2011? It is now 2013. Huh

45 16,352
 03-26-2013, 06:12 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(03-26-2013, 05:38 AM)SteelTown Wrote: Does anyone have both and can post pics?

Yes in another thread on our forum pictures were shown as a comparison.
Look at post #45

Here

100 12,447
 03-26-2013, 06:19 AM
  • mantic59
  • Unregistered
User Info
FWIW I got a "new" R41 from Muhle last week and have been comparing it to the prior version. The new version supposedly has a slightly larger cap; it is also 1 gram lighter according to my digital scale. Speaking strictly for myself I don't notice any difference between the two: they're both aggressive as hell and if you're not very, very careful it will "bite" you quickly. Sad

I'm planning a more detailed post on Sharpologist for 15 April.

03-26-2013, 06:28 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
What ever Muhle did to modify the R41 and not tell anyone has worked to their advantage because it appears sales is skyrocketing. The only way I will know is when I get mine and make comparisons. This should be evident immediately.

100 12,447
 03-26-2013, 06:35 AM
User Info
(03-26-2013, 04:57 AM)slantman Wrote: I will repeat a recent email I received from Muhle addressing this question ( I sent to them ).

"Dear Jerry,

Beate Unger

--

This reply just reveals she does not what we're talking about.

She addresses the new R41 head released in 2011, the Mühle designed head. Before 2011 the head was a Merkur designed far milder and visible quite different looking head. It was made in 2009 and was a mild open comb head.

The changes made to the R41 head in mid 2012 only is very minute modifications - and only people who have been told about it or actually worked with the redesign would know !

22 5,064
 03-26-2013, 06:53 AM
  • Elbe
  • Wolfsburg, Germany
User Info
Claus, completely right!

0 229