03-25-2013, 07:28 PM
User Info
That's not a bad thing. Bear with me for a moment.

Today a Wide Waist Mighty Midget and a Lil Bambino arrived and as I normally do they went into the sink for a short soak and a first hand lather- one of typically many hand lathers to break the fibers in.

I just went to the dry brushes to lather them again and, AMAZING (!), they already have split ends. I lathered them anyway, but they are ready for use.

OK, so I can break a boar in fairly rapidly, but one hand lathering and the brush is broken in is absolutely nuts and I wasn't the magic. It has to be something Omega is doing.

Has anyone else experienced this recently?

32 6,308
 03-25-2013, 07:40 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
My Pro 49 had some broken in hairs when it came out of the box.

10 1,858
 03-25-2013, 07:45 PM
User Info
Interesting Eric. I should have looked closer before lathering. I didn't because the brushes were so stiff. I just assumed...

Come to think of it, my Omega before these 2 also broke in amazingly fast too. I think I noticed it after 3 hand lathers. They must be breaking the fibers in somehow in the manufacturing process. It was the Omega travel brush in the travel brush review. I think I may even have mentioned it there.

Edit: I checked and it's mentioned in the review of the brush linked to in the review. What's happening with Omega brushes can't be a coincidence. That's not a bad thing. My hat's off to Omega! They are making boar brushes as accessable as a badger, and at a price that's simply phenominal.

OK, so their low grade of boar has inexpensive handles, so what? For $7 who cares? Just buy another when it wears out, or buy a bunch now, use them, and the brushes will outlive the buyer.

Don't think I'm giving up on Badgers, I'm not. I love badgers as well, but lots of folks will find the new "pre-broken in boars" to be just what they can use. $7 for a Wide Waist Might Midget!? That's insanely inexpensive!

32 6,308
 03-25-2013, 10:29 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
(03-25-2013, 07:45 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Interesting Eric. I should have looked closer before lathering. I didn't because the brushes were so stiff. I just assumed...

Come to think of it, my Omega before these 2 also broke in amazingly fast too. I think I noticed it after 3 hand lathers. They must be breaking the fibers in somehow in the manufacturing process. It was the Omega travel brush in the travel brush review. I think I may even have mentioned it there.

Edit: I checked and it's mentioned in the review of the brush linked to in the review. What's happening with Omega brushes can't be a coincidence. That's not a bad thing. My hat's off to Omega! They are making boar brushes as accessable as a badger, and at a price that's simply phenominal.

OK, so their low grade of boar has inexpensive handles, so what? For $7 who cares? Just buy another when it wears out, or buy a bunch now, use them, and the brushes will outlive the buyer.

Don't think I'm giving up on Badgers, I'm not. I love badgers as well, but lots of folks will find the new "pre-broken in boars" to be just what they can use. $7 for a Wide Waist Might Midget!? That's insanely inexpensive!

I agree, and it lathers up fantastically well, too; actually they both do. Mine were not as easy to break in as yours by the sound of it, so perhaps since I purchased mine about...18 months ago (?) they may have started treating them? Couldn't say. The wide waist certainly has a LOT of backbone, that's for sure. Despite the plastic handle, it still looks a well designed brush, feels good in the hands, nice proportions, etc.

A solid resin version of this brush would be an absolute best seller, I feel, especially with that elegant slim black ring.

0 1,622
 03-26-2013, 06:43 AM
User Info
I recently purchased an Omega boar brush after a blog review I read. That author commented on how fast his brush broke in.

Personally, I can't tell because it is my first boar brush. What should I be looking for to tell if it is broken in or still needs more work?

6 122
 03-26-2013, 08:06 AM
User Info
When the brush is dry look closely at the tips of the bristles. You should see them split. Too, I find the entire bristle (the knot) becomes slightly softer and losses a bit of backbone after break in. That's while wet, typically boars feel terrible when dry. They continue breaking in to a lesser degree over much more time.

32 6,308
 03-26-2013, 08:10 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
My Omega 48, was my first name brand brush. It broke in with a month compared my Semogues that took nearly three months to break in.

1 3,507
 03-26-2013, 09:08 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(03-25-2013, 10:29 PM)Shaun Wrote: I agree, and it lathers up fantastically well, too; actually they both do. Mine were not as easy to break in as yours by the sound of it, so perhaps since I purchased mine about...18 months ago (?) they may have started treating them? Couldn't say. The wide waist certainly has a LOT of backbone, that's for sure. Despite the plastic handle, it still looks a well designed brush, feels good in the hands, nice proportions, etc.

A solid resin version of this brush would be an absolute best seller, I feel, especially with that elegant slim black ring.

Speaking of solid resin boar brushes - the 31156 has already been selected as my next boar brush.

10 1,858
 03-26-2013, 10:50 AM
User Info
I contacted Gary from Shoebox Shaving last night to ask him the "treated boar" question. He told me that Omega definitely treats their high end boars and selected other brushes with a secret treatment. I guess they are either treating all of their brushes now or I've simply been lucky for the last 3 brushes.

For those who don't know (why would you?) the last few Omegas I've bought have been low end boars. Amazing that Omega would treat all of their boars. I hope it continues. Kudus to Omega! Amazing what $7 buys!

32 6,308
 03-26-2013, 12:36 PM
User Info
My 20102 has two shaves under its belt plus a couple of test latherings before that and there are many split hairs on the ends. It's very comfortable on the face already but still stinks a bit. Additionally, it's really well made: the turned wooden base is lovely, well finished and I believe may extend up into the black plastic top section. Surprisingly, the silver coloured top band is not chromed plastic but metal of some sort which my teeth can confirm!

Omega shaving brushes are amazing value for money and this model, given its sturdy, attractive construction, even more so. Their big boar knot is the prime reason for my loss of faith in expensive badger brushes as while said badger does offer another level of luxury, the price increase to me, makes much more difference than any extra potential pampering. And as for the Pure Badger grade, don't even go there. Go Piggies! SmiliePig

1 253
 03-26-2013, 12:57 PM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Same experience here with the same 48. It might have even been quicker than one month though!

My SOC took f-o-r-e-v-e-r to break in but it was worth it.

(03-26-2013, 08:10 AM)Howler Wrote: My Omega 48, was my first name brand brush. It broke in with a month compared my Semogues that took nearly three months to break in.

6 905
 03-26-2013, 05:01 PM
User Info
My new Omega no 40 premium had split tips from the get go. I had just assumed that was par for the course with the premium line.

6 1,224
 03-27-2013, 02:24 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
All of this talk makes me want more Omega boar brushes..Biggrin

As if I didn't already have acquisition disorder problems....

6 905
 03-28-2013, 11:30 PM
User Info
The knot on the Omega Wide Waist Mighty Midget is an exceptional knot. The knot is firm, compact and has a very nice face feel. The knot will splay but you need to exert some pressure for it to do so. It is not a floppy knot even when broken in. That being said the handle is just poor and has a very uncomfortable feel in the hand. I have purchased a number of these brushes and have rehandled two that I have in use. The knot fits in the handle of the Turkish #6 handle as well as a Whipped Dog 24mm after opening up the hole a bit. For me these are economical upgrades for the poor handle. In the future I will be looking for a turned acrylic handle option for the remaining knots I have.

If Omega put this knot in an acrylic handle and charged $20, they would kick Semogues butt, IMHO. I have a few short loft Semogue brushes and they feel lumpy and suffer from a bad case of cowlick. Neither have the compact feel, backbone, or the softness when broken in of this knot. Guess I am not a Semogue guy. Wake up Omega.

0 52
 03-29-2013, 12:42 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I'll be sure to examine my MM upon it's arrival and prior to use...

91 17,803
 03-29-2013, 01:57 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Really??? What did I miss.....Ben with a Boar brush??? Tongue

I don't mind the handle on my 048. It serves it's purpose. Can someone point me to the nicer handled Omega's? I'm having some difficult discerning the better handles from net pics.

(03-29-2013, 12:42 AM)ben74 Wrote: I'll be sure to examine my MM upon it's arrival and prior to use...

6 905
 03-29-2013, 02:10 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I have a Mighty Midget that's a little over a week old with about four shaves and a few hand lathers. Blended knot on this one. It's not entirely broken in (or maybe it is) and I see very few split ends.

33 914
 03-29-2013, 03:55 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(03-29-2013, 01:57 AM)EHV Wrote: Really??? What did I miss.....Ben with a Boar brush??? Tongue

I don't mind the handle on my 048. It serves it's purpose. Can someone point me to the nicer handled Omega's? I'm having some difficult discerning the better handles from net pics.

(03-29-2013, 12:42 AM)ben74 Wrote: I'll be sure to examine my MM upon it's arrival and prior to use...

No I haven't gone the whole hog yet... Maybe Simpsons will change that?

I'm waiting on the 11047 MM which is a mix of badger and boar.

I have 3 badger boar mixed brushes from Semogue and although I don't expect the Omega to be the same, I do quite enjoy the mix.

91 17,803
 03-29-2013, 03:55 AM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
(03-26-2013, 10:50 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I contacted Gary from Shoebox Shaving last night to ask him the "treated boar" question. He told me that Omega definitely treats their high end boars and selected other brushes with a secret treatment. I guess they are either treating all of their brushes now or I've simply been lucky for the last 3 brushes.

For those who don't know (why would you?) the last few Omegas I've bought have been low end boars. Amazing that Omega would treat all of their boars. I hope it continues. Kudus to Omega! Amazing what $7 buys!

My first Omega brush, was a low end brush of their line. It took quite a while to break in, and the smell out of the box was not "really good" so to speak. My 3 next Omega brushes, where 2 professional and the original mighty midget boar brush (No. 40033). All these brushes smelled good out of the box, and my first thought was that they were treated with somethin my first Omega brush wasn't treated with.

(03-29-2013, 01:57 AM)EHV Wrote: Can someone point me to the nicer handled Omega's? I'm having some difficult discerning the better handles from net pics.

I really like the handle of my Omega no. 45 I thin it is very nice Smile

7 858
 03-29-2013, 04:25 AM
User Info
(03-25-2013, 07:28 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: That's not a bad thing. Bear with me for a moment.

Today a Wide Waist Mighty Midget and a Lil Bambino arrived and as I normally do they went into the sink for a short soak and a first hand lather- one of typically many hand lathers to break the fibers in.

I just went to the dry brushes to lather them again and, AMAZING (!), they already have split ends. I lathered them anyway, but they are ready for use.

OK, so I can break a boar in fairly rapidly, but one hand lathering and the brush is broken in is absolutely nuts and I wasn't the magic. It has to be something Omega is doing.

Has anyone else experienced this recently?

Mine have all broken in relatively quickly. I am not trying to be a wise ass, but of course all the hairs are treated. The plain ones are bleached and the banded ones are dyed. I am pretty sure just about every boar brush regardless of manufacturer has been treated at least once before it reaches the consumer.

18 567