03-26-2013, 10:20 AM
User Info
Hey honored DE shavers Smile

With my growing collection of DE razors I started to experiment a little bit the other week.

I tried to use my most aggressive razor, my Ikon Bulldog XL Polished handle with my 2011/2012 Mühle R41 head for the first pass, then used my UFO Goliath Red Bronze XL handle with a Goodfella Black head for the second pass - then only did a bit of touch up with the R41 on the neck and chin area and the Goodfella on the lip and jaw area.

The hazzle of cleaning two razors instead of one pretty much makes up for the time I save on doing one less pass - but to rotate my razors and for the fun of it, I actually got a very smooth BBS shave out of it - 2 passes with touch ups.

Am I the only geek that think of doing such a thing Tongue - or does it in fact make a bit of sense to do shaving this way Idea

The aggressive razor for first pass, the mild razor for the second pass.
Touch up in delicate areas with the mild razor and touch up in the less delicate areas with the aggressive razor.

Or is hits just an excuse for me to own a lot of mild razors that I can't seem to get to work for a full shave (Feather AS-D1 comes to my mind Tongue )

Anyone else doing a 2-Pass shave this way ?

The 2-Pass shave with 2 DE razors - Club Tongue

24 5,917
 03-26-2013, 10:42 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I have been doing that for years.....favorite DE of the day for first pass and touch up and then (blasphemy) Gillette Fusion for the neck (and yes I have at least a dozen custom Fusions and Mach 3,s)....even Sensors. In Europe the major high end sites have more Mach3,s and Fusions than DE)....check out Joris(Vikim Diffusion) and Czech@Speake and you will see very few DE.Even though some people will cringe the Fusion does a good job on the neck area and the blades seem to last for months.SmileSmile

6 2,007
 03-26-2013, 11:36 AM
  • GregDR
  • Illinois
User Info
Sometimes when I have 3 or more days of whiskers I usually do my first pass with a FaTip then finish up with whatever razor of choice I decide to go with Fatboy, Superspeed, etc...

53 555
 03-26-2013, 12:00 PM
User Info
If I have more than 3 days I have used my iKon OC Deluxe and then finished off with the iKon SB Deluxe. Sort of like using an S3S, but with less rinsing.

3 244
 03-26-2013, 12:35 PM
User Info
(03-26-2013, 10:42 AM)Harvey Wrote: I have been doing that for years.....favorite DE of the day for first pass and touch up and then (blasphemy) Gillette Fusion for the neck (and yes I have at least a dozen custom Fusions and Mach 3,s)....even Sensors. In Europe the major high end sites have more Mach3,s and Fusions than DE)....check out Joris(Vikim Diffusion) and Czech@Speake and you will see very few DE.Even though some people will cringe the Fusion does a good job on the neck area and the blades seem to last for months.SmileSmile

I agree to some extent Wink

I own 4 Fusion razors (blasphemy) - Edwin Jagger Bulbous Lined Chrome, Edwin Jagger Chatsworth Barley Chrome, Joris Palladium Chrome and Mühle Sophist Black Lacquer.

I use my Fusion once a week for when I need to shave in 6 minutes and get a DFS - no brush, and use my favorite Shave Gel Goo (Sanex Shaving Aloe Vera Gel or Clinique Shaving Aloe Vera Gel) BLASPHEMY

I also use my Fusions backside blade for under the nose hair, which it removes better than any DE I own (and I now own quite a few)

I did not start DE shaving because I hated the Carts. I started it because I like the tradition, the luxury feel, the whole gear thing and the cosy people, who love traditional wet shaving Smile

I prefer a DE razor on 1-3 days stubbles, but when I use my Fusion on 3-4 days stubble after a weekend for instance, I get a BBS and no burn in just one slow pass with touch ups and rinsing the blade very very often (20-25 times during the shave)

I also love the way a DE razor looks, not so much the way even a Joris Fusion or an Edwin Jagger Bulbous Lined Chrome Fusion looks Biggrin

My Mühle R41 does a very fine job at 2-4 days beard stubbles, but I seem to get more irritation when doing ATG with it, so it seems logical for me to use a milder razor for when most of the whiskers are removed by the first pass.

I love an aggressive razors for my longer stubbles, not so much on my shorter stubbles......

24 5,917
 03-26-2013, 01:06 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I think the deal is this.....Razors are tools (or instruments) and you use what works for you ....lord knows we have tried many and after a while we pack our "tool" belts with our favorites and use them where and when and how we like.What is BLASPHEMY to some is Nirvana to others.CoolSmileCoolSmile

6 2,007
 03-26-2013, 02:16 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
I do use 2 or even 3 razors quite regularly but use the 2nd and 3rd razor to shave my head with (as sometimes a particular razor isn't aggressive enough to do all of my head so I use the 3rd one to touch up bits here and there).

33 653
 03-26-2013, 03:28 PM
User Info
I'll shave one half of my face with one razor and the other half with the other to compare the two.

4 309
 03-26-2013, 09:40 PM
User Info
(03-26-2013, 10:20 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Hey honored DE shavers Smile

With my growing collection of DE razors I started to experiment a little bit the other week.

I tried to use my most aggressive razor, my Ikon Bulldog XL Polished handle with my 2011/2012 Mühle R41 head for the first pass, then used my UFO Goliath Red Bronze XL handle with a Goodfella Black head for the second pass - then only did a bit of touch up with the R41 on the neck and chin area and the Goodfella on the lip and jaw area.

The hazzle of cleaning two razors instead of one pretty much makes up for the time I save on doing one less pass - but to rotate my razors and for the fun of it, I actually got a very smooth BBS shave out of it - 2 passes with touch ups.

Am I the only geek that think of doing such a thing Tongue - or does it in fact make a bit of sense to do shaving this way Idea

The aggressive razor for first pass, the mild razor for the second pass.
Touch up in delicate areas with the mild razor and touch up in the less delicate areas with the aggressive razor.

Or is hits just an excuse for me to own a lot of mild razors that I can't seem to get to work for a full shave (Feather AS-D1 comes to my mind Tongue )

Anyone else doing a 2-Pass shave this way ?

The 2-Pass shave with 2 DE razors - Club Tongue
I do 2 pass shave 1 razorWink

0 606
 03-27-2013, 09:16 PM
User Info
At times I do a first pass with an easy razor like a blue-tip Gillette and then a second pass with a Wardonia because the Wardonia is too aggressive for a first pass for me (and I just think they look cool) Cool

13 196
 03-27-2013, 09:25 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I have done it in the past. Used a more aggressive DE for the first pass and then a milder one for subsequent passes. I actually discussed my positive experiences here in regards to it some time ago and was made to feel like a leper!

99 18,011