03-26-2013, 12:18 PM
User Info
I have been using DR Harris Arlington cream in the jar for the last month. Its a fresh package (month old) from Royal Shave. Ive noticed the last two times I shaved it dries out on my face before I finish shaving. When the razor drags across the cream I get many small flakes of soap bubbles floating in air. Foam in the bowl I used to prepare the cream still looks good and moist and puffy. This was not a face lather, but a bowl lather. True, here in New England, the humidity inside is low. Mid to low 20%. But still would not expect face drying so quickly with a cream. Any ideas out there on what may be happening?

Art

0 113
 03-26-2013, 12:48 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I generally don't get this problem unless I don't add enough water, then it can evaporate out quickly enough to mess up a shave pass.

10 1,858
 03-26-2013, 02:57 PM
User Info
Not enough water is the issue.

9 2,988
 03-27-2013, 09:24 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Art, as stated above, not enough water. The cream loads very easily, to the point of overloading. You probably had a very thick lather too...

91 17,801
 03-27-2013, 09:36 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Add more water in very small amounts until you find that sweet spot. You will know when that is.

173 23,493
 03-27-2013, 02:19 PM
User Info
(03-27-2013, 09:36 AM)Johnny Wrote: Add more water in very small amounts until you find that sweet spot. You will know when that is.

Ok Thank you all for the input on the H2o issue. Will keep an eye on that.

0 113
 03-27-2013, 04:49 PM
User Info
I don't want to sound negative about a specific soap or a brand but using a straight razor, shaving with a soap that drys out fast enough to flake or just feels really dry is a real problem. When ever I come across one, and I've found quite a few, if adding more water doesn't correct the problem, it down the drain and I go back to a Known soap.
In the past I would try to salvage the problem soap by adding other soaps to it, but... In both the long and short runs it easier to just dump it.

5 410
 03-28-2013, 01:09 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
This happens to me when I shave slowly near my beard. I have to dip it in the water and reform the lather on the Final Pass...happens to me with the three T's, the only cream I don't have this issue with is Castle Forbes, but that one is a thick mountain of goo until I rinse the brush!

(03-27-2013, 04:49 PM)Johnus Wrote: I don't want to sound negative about a specific soap or a brand but using a straight razor, shaving with a soap that drys out fast enough to flake or just feels really dry is a real problem. When ever I come across one, and I've found quite a few, if adding more water doesn't correct the problem, it down the drain and I go back to a Known soap.
In the past I would try to salvage the problem soap by adding other soaps to it, but... In both the long and short runs it easier to just dump it.

Next time you want to dump one, hit me up...LOL

68 1,416