07-26-2012, 08:42 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
If you are interested in fountain pens or penmanship, why not show what you have here. Smile

2 11,211
 07-26-2012, 08:52 PM
  • freddy
User Info
Here are two pocket/purse fountain pens I own, an aluminum and orange Ohto Rook and a demonstrator Kaweco Classic Sport.

[Image: OhtoRookandKawecoClassicSport.jpg]

The Ohto Rook proved to be a disappointment after a while but the Kaweco Sport has shown itself to be a real winner and goes everywhere with me. As pocket pens, it is imperative that the caps stay firmly posted to the barrels of the pens when writing. Unfortunately, the Rook's cap was forever working its way loose. Not only do I not have that trouble with the Classic Sport but it is a smooth writer, as well.

2 11,211
 07-26-2012, 08:58 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
I Got to borrow a friends Kaweco sport, a thread on cap is great for pockets at work, even if it did drip out, which i didnt anyway, i know i would have been safe, they are great little pens

I only have some cheap chinese pens right now, a Hero, and my Jinhao, but after getting to play with a friends lamy safari in a 1.5 italic, i would like to replace it with another italic, if nothing else it makes my writing look my better then it actually is lmao

So im looking around for a nice pen between 50 - 100 bucks but probably closer to fifty, then i can add some ink, oh and some paper, and one of the wax bars and letter stamps, and maybe a quill and some vintage ink bottles, but i hear you can save a lot of money over Bic multi cart uhhh pens

wait something sounds familiar with that

My Jinhao
[Image: %2524%2528KGrHqIOKk%2521E5CWdCtGDBOcVSwc...7E60_3.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1181.jpg]

And this seems to be my next guy, a monteverde invincia stylus, the round bit at top of the cap works as a stylus on cell phones and tablets, and its just a gorgeous pen in my opinion
[Image: InvinciaStylusFPChromeMain.jpg]

3 748
 07-26-2012, 09:04 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(07-26-2012, 08:58 PM)syngent Wrote: I Got to borrow a friends Kaweco sport, a thread on cap is great for pockets at work, even if it did drip out, which i didnt anyway, i know i would have been safe, they are great little pens

I only have some cheap chinese pens right now, a Hero, and my Jinhao, but after getting to play with a friends lamy safari in a 1.5 italic, i would like to replace it with another italic, if nothing else it makes my writing look my better then it actually is lmao

So im looking around for a nice pen between 50 - 100 bucks but probably closer to fifty, then i can add some ink, oh and some paper, and one of the wax bars and letter stamps, and maybe a quill and some vintage ink bottles, but i hear you can save a lot of money over Bic multi cart uhhh pens

wait something sounds familiar with that

LOL. Here is a dip pen set I got while in Venice, Italy earlier this summer:

[Image: P1030459.jpg]

As for a pen around the $50.00 mark, I really like my TWSBI Diamond 540. I have a fine nib on mine.

[Image: P1020278.jpg]

2 11,211
 07-26-2012, 09:05 PM
  • freddy
User Info
James, I don't see your attachments. Sad

2 11,211
 07-26-2012, 09:07 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
Hmmm, i see them,... wonder why

try this one, its a better picture of my hero

[Image: %2524%2528KGrHqZHJCQE%252BNnrcV-oBP699i1...7E60_3.jpg]

omg that dip set is stunning, wanna trade for some arko or williams ?

3 748
 07-26-2012, 09:13 PM
  • freddy
User Info
James, this is all I see in your last post as far as an attachment goes, and it's the same for the other post:

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=256128&d=1341672463] Sad

And as for your generous trade offer for my dip pen set, um...nope. Biggrin

2 11,211
 07-26-2012, 09:13 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Freddy, I have the same Kaweco Sport! It is currently my only fountain pen, but it is quite fun to use or even just to look at. Unfortunately it doesn't get much use, maybe once I get back into the swing of things next semester I will try and incorporate it more.

And James, that monteverde invincia stylus is beautiful, I may look into it as well due to its duel purpose (plus I can be a sucker for matte black and white).

35 1,732
 07-26-2012, 09:14 PM
  • freddy
User Info
Anthony, I love that little Kaweco Sport. I can even do the JUMBLE mixed word puzzle in the newspaper with a minimum of feathering. That is pretty decent.

2 11,211
 07-26-2012, 09:17 PM
  • freddy
User Info
James, one attachment finally came through on your original post but I'm not sure which pen it is. If it's the Monteverde Invicia Stylus, it's beautiful!

2 11,211
 07-26-2012, 09:20 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
there i moved pics to picasa and did it from there, i think i had them up somewhere that wouldnt allow the url post, all should be fixed now !

Freddy, how do you find dip pens work, is yours purely for show, or does it get Xmas card duty, or actually goes into regular use when the mood strikes you ?

and have you ever done an eyedropper converstion to any of your guys ?

3 748
 07-26-2012, 09:41 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(07-26-2012, 09:20 PM)syngent Wrote: there i moved pics to picasa and did it from there, i think i had them up somewhere that wouldnt allow the url post, all should be fixed now !

Freddy, how do you find dip pens work, is yours purely for show, or does it get Xmas card duty, or actually goes into regular use when the mood strikes you ?

and have you ever done an eyedropper converstion to any of your guys ?

Yes, they're all up now. That Jinhao is a beauty. I have a Hero 100 that isn't a bad little writer.

As for the dip pen, it is a completely different writing experience and it even changes the look of my penmanship. I would not attempt Christmas cards with it but I have written full letters to other fountain pen friends and quite enjoyed the experience. In all fairness, I have had more success with this dip pen than any others that I have tried, for some reason.

I have only converted inexpensive Platinum Preppy pen bodies to eyedroppers and I also own a Wality 69 that was an eyedropper to begin with. The Wality is quite decent for a cheap pen. Here is a photo of it:

[Image: P1020345.jpg]

2 11,211
 07-26-2012, 10:07 PM
User Info
Great to see you took up my suggestion, Freddy. Pens! Oh, my. Man, you guys have some nice pens.

75 20,883
 07-26-2012, 10:19 PM
  • leo
  • Two Rivers WI
User Info
Beautiful pens.
I'm one of those people that have a horrendous penmanship so I never seen a reason to invest in anything like this.

0 126
 07-27-2012, 04:30 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Beautiful looking pens keep them coming.

100 12,439
 07-27-2012, 05:10 AM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
Been using fountain pens since shortly after getting involved in the wet-shaving forums. I have to give superbleu (Bong) a long of the credit for converting me to FP.

I am embarassed to admit how many pens, inks, etc.. I have accumulated since then, so here is just a picture (if I can get it to work on the new phone) of my currently inked pens.
[Image: IMG_20120727_074056.jpg][Image: IMG_20120727_074106.jpg]

From left to right:
Ranga model 4 eye dropper filled with Noodler's Gruene Cactus
Lamy Al-Star filled with Pelikan Green
TWSBI 540 filled with Diamine Syrah
Monteverde Invincia filled with Noodler's Habanero
Lamy 2000 filled with Diamine Denim
Edison LE Herald Grande (B&B 2012 pen) filled with Diamine Denim
TWSBI 530 filled with Waternan Mysterious Blue
Lamy Studio filled with Diamine Mediterranean Blue
Reform 1745 filled with Noodler's Black

To be filled later today - a Kaweco Sport (currently drying as I flushed and cleaned the pen this morning before I took the picture of my EDC) I will probably put Organics Manganate V in the Kaweco.

0 253
 07-27-2012, 07:59 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
Well I don't have a whole collection of them. But we do have one in the house now, thanks to Freddy. He mailed my son a care package that included an invisible ink kit as well as what my son now calls his first fountain pen.

You see my son isn't quite like the rest of his peers. He has severe ADHD, aspergers (which is on the autism spectrum), he also has other disorders added to his diagnosis. But most of all these have affected something so simple as his penmanship. He's only 11. His writing is so bad that in his IEP for school it's written that others can do the writing for him if he tells the person what to write. It's also in his IEP that he doesn't need to learn how to write cursive but needs to learn to read it because he hasn't mastered printing yet. There are kids in grade 1 that have neater writing than my son. On average most of his letters are 1" to over 2" in height when he writes. He has issues with motor skills as well. The school has tried many different sizes of pens/pencils in the barrel size, one pen that looped around his finger and didn't look like a traditional pen, even added many different shapes and styles of adaptive pieces to the barrel of the pen/pen trying to improve his handwriting. Nothing worked, and his writing is almost impossible to read at times. They began teaching him to use a special keyboard a number of years ago to help when he gets older so he can type all his stuff in class rather than write it down. Which makes it easier for him and the teacher!

Yesterday I actually cried..... they were happy tears when he began writing with his new fountain pen.

For the first time in his life I could actually read his writing and it looked more normal. It had to be the pen. If you don't hold it right then the pen won't write. I actually measured his letters that he wrote and the "C in his name was just a hair over 1/4" tall vs almost 2" in height. The improvement was as stark as night and day. I even took photo's and sent to Freddy so he could see the difference as well. As he practiced through the day his writing got even better. He was proud that his writing was neat for the first time in his life.

So I know fountain pens are considered old fashioned by some, but for me they have become a life saver for my little boy. And yes he is correct in saying that it is his FIRST fountain pen. I think the teachers and IEP team will be excited to find out that this year he will be using one in class because of the improvement it has made to the quality of his life.

THANK YOU FREDDY for helping one little boy who has many struggles in life and for making such a difference!!!!!

This is his handwriting with a regular pen.
http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm454...AG0178.jpg

This is his handwriting the first time he used a fountain pen.
He was copying the letter Freddy sent.
http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm454...AG0176.jpg

7 405
 07-27-2012, 08:10 AM
User Info
I've used fountain pens for most of my life.......certainly from a lot before I ever started shaving.

I don't really collect them, but I have a few nice ones - A Duofold, a lovely Vacumatic, some Waterman's, etc.

They're all really nice. I was taught by my dad that a personal letter should never be written in ball-point, so I still write them with my fountain pens.

37 1,731
 07-27-2012, 08:29 AM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
That's a great story Krissy so glad something so small like a pen can make such a huge improvement, even for those of us who suffer from bad writing I have found my pens have improved my HW and since I like writing with them I tend to practice more. It may be the same for your boy who will only get better as he keeps it up

3 748
 07-27-2012, 10:56 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Fountain pens came before Vintage Safety Razors and wet shaving.
I have both vintage and modern fountain pens, I've accumulated over a hundred pens.
Here is a sampling of three of my fountain pens, my oldest, unique, and favorite.

I also have major IAD, for ink.

1 3,507