03-27-2013, 02:20 AM
User Info
I have been shaving with my opposite hand for about a month now.
Some days are better than others. Weepers are pretty common but I am getting pretty good shaves.

I am not a fan of menthol but have started using Skin Bracer after a less than good shave. It staunches the blood flow better than witch hazel. The scent is light enough that I can use a cologne no problem.

I do not enjoy the burn but the results (no blood flow) are worth it.

Imagine my surprise today when I read this on the label:
"Do not apply to broken or irritated skin".

I thought that was the point of after shave - to soothe irritated skin.

On bad shave days (getting less and less) I will continue to use Skin Bracer.

Phil

7 363
 03-27-2013, 02:30 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Phil, that is so odd!

I guess one requires a perfect shave to apply that juice. Huh

I'm glad that you are getting good results and I would surely continue if it works well for you. I think that I'm going to pick some up based on your recommendation.

Two other A/S that give me the same result you mention are Speick and Eau d'Emeraude but I don't see anything on the packaging of those products that says "do not apply to broken or irritated skin"!!!

6 905
 03-27-2013, 02:36 AM
User Info
I'm not sure, but maybe it's just a disclaimer sentence.

0 128
 03-27-2013, 05:30 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(03-27-2013, 02:36 AM)MrDentini Wrote: I'm not sure, but maybe it's just a disclaimer sentence.

This would be my assumotion as well. Also, a shout out for Speick...one of the best!

35 2,703
 03-27-2013, 10:00 PM
  • RobE
  • NY USA
User Info
(03-27-2013, 02:20 AM)PhilNH5 Wrote: ...I am not a fan of menthol but have started using Skin Bracer...

I do not enjoy the burn but the results (no blood flow) are worth it.

Imagine my surprise today when I read this on the label:
"Do not apply to broken or irritated skin".

Phil

Hey Phil, Skin Bracer is a nice AS splash ...but, to stop any minor blood flow, use styptic pencil first, after the cold rinse, but before the splash. It burns a bit, (but so what!). It will stop any minor blood flow immediately. It'll dry to a powder. When it does... rinse it off and then use your after shave. Apologies if you already know all this but from your post, I'm guessing you don't. Just tryin' to help. Smile

17 290
 03-28-2013, 03:01 AM
User Info
"Hey Phil, Skin Bracer is a nice AS splash ...but, to stop any minor blood flow, use styptic pencil first, after the cold rinse, but before the splash. It burns a bit, (but so what!). It will stop any minor blood flow immediately. It'll dry to a powder. When it does... rinse it off and then use your after shave. Apologies if you already know all this but from your post, I'm guessing you don't. Just tryin' to help. Smile"

Rob,
I have my original stypic pencils from 30 years ago. I also have a neat roll on liquid stypic called My Nik Is Sealed. Works great.

The opposite hand shaving is taking some time to get used to. Prior to this i only got weepers in a small area from a bad razor stroke. Now When I have a bad shave the weepers cover an entire area.

I found for this large weeper area the SB AS was easier to apply and works almost.as well as the styptic. Plus using my opposite hand to apply even the roll on was hard for me to control. Comical at times.but still hard.

Phil

7 363
 05-21-2013, 08:30 AM
User Info
All,
I was so intrigued by the Skin Bracer directions that said:
"Do not apply to broken or irritated skin", that I wrote to Golgate Palmolive Corporate offices. Due to Freddy's bad influnceBiggrin I sent a hand written letter via the USPS

I explained that I used SB to soothe irritated skin caused by my newly mandated left handed shaving technique. I mentioned that it did a great job of soothing my skin and I now used it every day. I also expressed my surprise at the directions and asked for clarification.

I received a reply yesterday:
[Image: Z2Tx6Hu.jpg]

They said what we all know. AS is for soothing your skin post shave. But no explanation about this reply and the directions discrepancy.
Included were a slew of coupons. I was just pleased to get a reply.

Phil

7 363
 05-22-2013, 09:17 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
At least she said "deep" cuts. Maybe weepers don't count as "deep" cuts.

173 23,500
 05-22-2013, 10:26 AM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
I once met a guy who wrote consumer product directions for various companies. He told me that avoiding lawsuits was paramount and that if the directions were not airtight, any ambulance chaser worth his salt could exploit it. For example: " Your,honor, when my client applied the aftershave in accordance with the directions onto his irritated skin, it's contents caused my client such agonizing pain that he flailed his arms in pain. This flailing action caused my client to incidentally strike his wife in the Adam's Apple while they stood in the bathroom, This caused her to fall and grab my client who attempted to grab.......thereby..... To wit .....causing pain,agony, and suffering, etc.
SO, they have to write it so no one can remotely claim discomfort from it. I 'm surprised the mass market stuff even has alcohol in it any more!

2 334