03-27-2013, 05:18 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
Hi all.
I have finally broken in my second custom Shavemac D01 2-band, 22/46, to the point where it lathers my face nicely without feeling as if I'm lathering with a hairbrush. My first Shavemac D01 2-band 26/46, required a lot of work - palm lathering almost nightly for >6 weeks, closer to 8. But now it is a pleasure. But my second, the custom 22/46 was a tiger. Nightly palm-lathering for almost 2 months helped the softness of the brush but not the prickliness. With the help of a magnifying lens it became clear that there was an abundance of solid black tips in the knot. These black tips are sometimes inverted hairs or just plain bad hairs that creep into the knot somehow and are responsible for the prickly feeling. My first Shavemac 2-band has very few of these hairs.

My next strategy was soaking the brush in hot water for a few minutes, then coating the knot, especially the tips with Pantene hair conditioner, and let sit for a few hours. I then rinsed out the conditioner and towel-dried the brush. Then I SOFTLY stroked a piece of very fine sandpaper (I forgot the grain; if you PM me I can find out for you) approx. 20 back-and-forth strokes. In all, I did this three or four times. What I was trying to do is to soften the black tips by gently fraying or disrupting them-similar to breaking in a boar brush. If, per chance, the white tips also frayed and softened, so what? After all, for some of us, softness is what one seeks in a great brush. The result is that I now have a thoroughly enjoyable brush with soft tips (but not perfectly scritch-free) and great backbone.

During my research on BB about D01 2-bands it seemed to me that the level of scritch was hit-and-miss; some did and some didn't. I love Shavemac's brushes but I think maybe there is a quality control issue with respect to their 2-bands. I say this as a heads-up, not to derail your buying one. These brushes are great once you get them tamed.

Cheers.

1 744
 03-27-2013, 06:16 AM
User Info
Please post a pic. I've been considering a D01 2 Band in the very size of your new one.

97 615
 03-27-2013, 06:29 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • NYC
User Info
OK, but it will have to wait until tonight.

1 744
 03-27-2013, 07:35 AM
  • marcel
  • The Netherlands
User Info
If I received a brush like that it would have been replaced by now, instead of trying to make it better myself.

0 117
 03-27-2013, 07:39 AM
User Info
(03-27-2013, 07:35 AM)marcel Wrote: If I received a brush like that it would have been replaced by now, instead of trying to make it better myself.

I agree. Teddy, you are one patient person!

15 222
 03-27-2013, 08:33 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • NYC
User Info
You guys are correct. I just have this crazy idea that once a brush is used, it cannot be returned. What vendor would accept a returned brush that has been used? It doesn't make sense to me either, but there it is.

1 744
 03-27-2013, 09:16 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(03-27-2013, 08:33 AM)Teddyboy Wrote: You guys are correct. I just have this crazy idea that once a brush is used, it cannot be returned. What vendor would accept a returned brush that has been used? It doesn't make sense to me either, but there it is.

My retail experience is that when there is a return of an item that can't be resold, the vendor usually RMAs it back to the wholesaler or manufacturer. So if you got a bad brush, used it and discovered the flaw, and sent it back to (for instance) Bull Goose, Phil would send that brush back to the maker and get a good brush in its place.

Or at least, that's how it always was for computer parts and software. I'd find it hard to believe that a brush maker would stay in business long by trying to make their dealers eat the cost of flawed merchandise.

10 1,858
 03-27-2013, 09:19 AM
User Info
Your right Teddy. If nothing is wrong with it, you can't expect a vendor to change it.

D01 2 band is quite a stiff know. While the hair is pretty strong, the knot construction is also different. All my 2 bands have quite a large glue bump so I can see how the OP has benefitted from lathering every day n

7 1,179
 03-27-2013, 09:33 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I admire your perseverance Teddy!

91 17,851
 03-27-2013, 11:36 AM
User Info
(03-27-2013, 09:33 AM)ben74 Wrote: I admire your perseverance Teddy!

I do too. I have couple D01 2-band brushes in custom handles from Rudy Vey, and most of the scritchiness disappeared - and the brushes became quite comfortable to use - after the first 6-8 uses.

184 12,003
 03-27-2013, 12:45 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I have one D01 2-band brush, 24mm ... although the break-in period can be tedious, as others have already commented, these brushes do deliver in the end! Smile

102 17,670
 03-27-2013, 01:22 PM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
Well worth the wait. Cool

10 1,120
 03-27-2013, 01:52 PM
User Info
Interesting pre-shave routine ... could catch on!

1 630
 03-27-2013, 06:16 PM
User Info
My first out of 14 custom made Shavemac brushes was delivered to me with 6 mm too short loft - and it was a D01 2-band in bulb Cool

Bernd immediately offered me an exchange, but I had bought a lot of stuf that month and was tired of waiting in line at the post office - so i took the chance and kept the brush.

Now I own quite a few brushes, not Dr. P or Ben like but I bought 70+ badger brushes in 2012 alone, so I have not used this Shavemac brush more than 4 times since I got it in june 2012, and it still is a scrubby little devil Biggrin

It has 25 mm loft, D01 2-band hair, bulb shaped knot and ther loft is..........are you ready.....46 mm :monoloco:

I tell you guys, this is a scrubby little devil.
I avoid using it on anything shorter than 3 days stubbles, and when I reapply lather for the second pass, I make sure to use a pre shave cream - otherwise it would tear up my face Tongue

But I enjoy using this brush as an acquired taste and I probably will never sell it. I find that owning a lot of brushes is all about good fun and great variety in your collection.

My most floppy brushes are gone, I like backbone in my brushes - and this little devil has ample amounts of backbone - let me tell you that !!

But it has excellent flow through and I can wip up nice solid lather with any Musgo Real with this brush in 1 minute, which is fast with the hard water I have to deal with in my area.

I have actually grown quite fond of this little devil of a brush to be honest - and I love the golden foot with the genuine bruyer/briar wood handle in combination with the dark 2-band D01 hair Smile

22 5,062
 03-27-2013, 06:44 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Glad to hear you are enjoying it Claus.

By the way you purchased more brushes than me 2012 (and by a fair margin too).

91 17,851
 03-27-2013, 08:06 PM
User Info
(03-27-2013, 06:44 PM)ben74 Wrote: Glad to hear you are enjoying it Claus.

By the way you purchased more brushes than me 2012 (and by a fair margin too).

Thanks Ben Smile

WoW - I wouldn't think that I purchased more brushes than you last year, but it has to be said that I also have sold 25 of them by now and only added a few in 2013 since that - so I'm still hovering around the 50-60 mark, 60 probaly when July has passed.

2013 will be my serious RAD year however - having bought nearly 25 DE razors in 2013 alone by now, and not stopping any time soon Cool

When did your shaving AD start, Ben - just curious Smile

22 5,062