04-04-2012, 10:09 PM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
After much thought and internal debate, I decided to order a Simpson Rover 2. Looks like I waited too long, as I got an email today saying that the inventory software was wrong and it's on back orderSad The message also said they ordered more and should get them in a couple of weeks. I was under the impression this was a limited run brush, any input as to the validity of being able to just order up some more? (Limited runs don't mean scary low numbers, but it seems like the Rover has been out for quite some time.) I have no reason to doubt the info, but find it a bit upsetting at the same time. I am waiting on a reply to the email, but it took a full day to find out they were out so we'll see what I get back. I guess I should have just done it sooner, no one to blame but myselfAngry

1 73
 04-04-2012, 10:18 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Did you order the one with best badger hair or one of the LE with Manchurian Badger?
The Rover has a beautiful handle,and with the Tulip,I have been tempted myself to get one of each...

86 7,124
 04-04-2012, 10:49 PM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
Best Badger. I have several Best offerings from Simpson and love them all!

1 73
 04-05-2012, 05:53 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I've really enjoyed my Rover in Best,
[attachment=740]
in fact it's been one of my favourite brushes.

But now it's making way for my Manchurian Rover!
[attachment=741][attachment=742]

91 17,875
 04-05-2012, 06:41 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Andy, did you place your order with West Coast Shaving? If so, those are not LE brushes. The ones Simpsons has on their website are LE brushes.

173 23,554
 04-05-2012, 08:47 AM
User Info
I thought the WSC Rover in Best was a somewhat limited edition re-release?

But the Simpson direct/exclusive limited brushes are a different kind of limited brush...

Kinda like how BGS had the Ehsan and so on.

Is this correct, or is the Rover in Best now a regular production model? I never found any other stateside vendor that had the Rover and there are a lot of Simpsons vendors in the U.S.

0 189
 04-05-2012, 08:54 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Now I could be wrong about this, but I think the only thing limited about the Rover is that it was limited to West Coast here in the USA. There are other vendors world wide that sell the Rover in best badger.

173 23,554
 04-05-2012, 08:55 AM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
Good to know, Johnny. Thank you. The site lists them as a limited edition run, so I got concerned. I'm more interested in the brush for what it is and not the limited edition run, so I guess it's all good. Perhaps they need to update their description if this is the case. Either way, still waiting on their reply, maybe it will contain some info pertaining to this.

EDIT: That would make sense as a limited edition, limited to one vendor. The description still could use a touch up. From the Rover page...
"Description
The Rover is a classic Simpson shaving brush but not part of their regular product line. Due to renewed interest in vintage Simpson shaving brushes, they produced a Limited Edition run of these special brushes."

I guess it's the "produced", as in past tense, that had me worried. We'll see what happens.

BTW: I would like to point put that I've never had an issue with WCS and I'm in no way trying to put them down or discouraging folks from future purchases, just trying to get to the bottom of this so I don't get my hopes up just to have this beauty of a brush slip through my fingers.

1 73
 04-05-2012, 09:04 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well, I may have to eat my words. Now I am having trouble locating one of these. Angry

173 23,554
 04-05-2012, 11:05 AM
User Info
The "limited" description and the fact that it was on sale recently at WCS are what pushed me over the edge to buy it. The brush appears to be opening up some after a little use...on the first two or three uses I wasn't enamored with it. Used it yesterday and really liked it though. Hopefully you can still get one. Worst case, you could contact Simpson directly and see if they can do one for you...would probably cost more that way though

0 189
 04-05-2012, 11:35 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
There is one for sale in the B/S/T section.

173 23,554
 04-05-2012, 11:36 AM
User Info
i had read they were limited to 200 at WCS and would assume and hope, once gone, they are gone for good.

they come up on the BST on B&B every now, if you can't get a new one.

8 2,718
 04-05-2012, 03:28 PM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
All seems to be well in the Rover brush world, well for me at least. I received an email, and the brushes must have been on order already since they arrived today and one will be sent my way tomorrow. This doesn't address the "limited" in limited edition, but as stated earlier the brush itself is more what I'm after. Might be a good time to check in with WCS if the Rover is something you've been interested in.

1 73
 04-05-2012, 03:49 PM
User Info
that's great news Andy, glad you were able to get one.

re: LIMITED

per the WCS website:

Description
The Rover is a classic Simpson shaving brush but not part of their regular product line. Due to renewed interest in vintage Simpson shaving brushes, they produced a Limited Edition run of these special brushes

i wonder how LIMITED it really is then? perhaps of the of the Simpson members could address this.

8 2,718
 04-14-2012, 06:50 PM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
Well, I got the Rover the other day and have had a chance to use it a few times. What a great brush! The handle has a nice weight to it, I like a solid hefty handle. The best badger once again is a joy to use. Holds the perfect amount of water, the diameter and height are in perfect balance. I should not have waited this long to pick up this beauty.

1 73
 04-14-2012, 07:03 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
But the wait was worth it.

173 23,554
 04-14-2012, 07:45 PM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
Yes it was!

1 73
 04-14-2012, 07:57 PM
User Info
I used mine today. The more I use it, the more I like it. In fact, I'm not really a fan of midgrade badger hair knots but the hair Simpsons uses seems to definitely be a cut above. I know there is a lot of variance with Simpsons brushes, but the Rover I have has quite soft tips...close enough to Silvertip not to irritate my face. I don't see too many scritchy black hairs in the mix either. If I had some assurance that other Simpsons "best" brushes were like this, I might consider another, such as the Colonel 2XL or maybe one of the 50 series. Still I think I prefer the 2-band Super hair just slightly. Still haven't gotten around to trying the 3-band super. Hearing lots of conflicting opinions on the softness of those lately.

0 189
 04-19-2012, 10:45 AM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
When I ordered my Rover from WCS last October I was told that Simpson was committed to only producing 200 of them, although there was no guarantee they may not produce them again in the future. It's a great brush once it breaks in, especially with hard soaps. I hope they continue producing it, in case something ever happens to mine.

0 204
 04-19-2012, 01:29 PM
User Info
(04-19-2012, 10:45 AM)njpaddy Wrote: When I ordered my Rover from WCS last October I was told that Simpson was committed to only producing 200 of them, although there was no guarantee they may not produce them again in the future. It's a great brush once it breaks in, especially with hard soaps. I hope they continue producing it, in case something ever happens to mine.

^This^

We manufactured a certain number. If they prove a success, who knows ... we may produce more.

They are not a standard run though as the traditional designs. So, technically they are LE's.

1 630