03-27-2013, 08:35 PM
User Info
The SB was a gift from my wife 7 months ago. She knew my OCD tendencies on new hobbies so she (naively) thought that if she got me the best there is, that would be the AD killer.

She was right on one part - for me, the SB is the best razor I have tried. That includes Weber, vintage Gillettes (though the Old Type and NEW are really good), Merkurs (Progress, 23C) and on the SEs, the Cobra is superb and I do get a lot of joy from using the Damaskeene and Micromatics. Nothing wrong with those razors, they are all great. But SB, for me, is a full notch above.

I rotate my razors for the interest, and I sacrifice some shave quality or even comfort (due to my technique no doubt) for a little bit of time travel. I even tried to pick up straight edge razors, but had to give it a break. But to be honest, if I needed to choose the razor that gives me the closest, most even and with no irritation - that would be the Tradere SB.

It was not love at first sight. When I first got it I thought I'd post it on BST after the first shave. My technique was spoiled rotten by super-forgiving razors like Gillette Tech and 40's Super speed. These razor would forgive poor techinque and you can get away with putting a lot of pressure, without risking a cut. Not the Tradere, you need to let the weight of the razor do the work for you and once you dial in the angle, which is slightly different as the blade is not bent like with other DEs, it just glides gently on your skin like no other razor that I have tried.

So come along and share your Tradere SB experience.

6 808
 03-27-2013, 10:40 PM
User Info
I briefly owned and sold a Tradere SB and did find it a superbly crafted razor. Unfortunately, it was just too mild for me. I am glad you enjoy yours so much, I look forward to hearing more rave reviews and pictures are encouraged!!!

63 2,128
 03-28-2013, 12:10 AM
User Info
I own it, but have yet to use it :-)

I will pair it with my UFO Goliath XL custom handle

22 5,055
 03-28-2013, 01:53 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I have an SB and do like it very much.

Initially, I thought it fairly mild and very "Weberlike" Smile but I find that if I am not careful with the Tradere, it will bite me and I usually do not experience this unpredictability with other SB razors.

It's worth the extra bit of care to use it and I think that I'll be keeping it for a long while.

Edit to add: Interestingly, I have experienced some rust on the blade,(not the razor head like the previous PILS issue)when leaving the blade in the razor between shaves. This is after my usual practice of rinsing the razor carefully and then drying the razor with a blow dryer.
This has never happened to me with any of the other DE's that I own. I would probably attribute it to the completely covered blade that may not dry off enough but the blades and razor are stainless so???!

6 905
 03-28-2013, 03:00 AM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
My story is almost identical to Galhatz's. My wife got me the Tradere SB as a Valentine's Day gift, and when I opened the box it's appearance was unlike other razors I've seen and held, but I did like the aesthetic and engineering that went into the razor. The first shave with it made me realize I had been sleep walking through previous shaves because I got sloppy with my shave technique, and shaved a little too closely...

All that said, once I slowed down and focused on my technique, perfect shave!

27 860
 03-28-2013, 09:22 AM
User Info
Stainless blades do rust, and I think they are more prone to rust inside stainless steel razors, and once they do , that rust sticks to stainless steel.
It is a pain to clean. It is somewhat easier to clean off the smooth polished surface but very hard from non polished surfaces, like the inside of the top plate. It was a lot of elbow grease and MAAS to clean that stuff. I saw some really nasty cases with Weber razors on B&B, and Webers have a "rough" finish which makes it even harder to clean.

So I guess my only complaint is that I actually need to take the blade out after each shave...

6 808
 03-28-2013, 10:37 AM
User Info
(03-28-2013, 01:53 AM)EHV Wrote: I have an SB and do like it very much.

Initially, I thought it fairly mild and very "Weberlike" :smile: but I find that if I am not careful with the Tradere, it will bite me and I usually do not experience this unpredictability with other SB razors.

It's worth the extra bit of care to use it and I think that I'll be keeping it for a long while.

Edit to add: Interestingly, I have experienced some rust on the blade,(not the razor head like the previous PILS issue)when leaving the blade in the razor between shaves. This is after my usual practice of rinsing the razor carefully and then drying the razor with a blow dryer.
This has never happened to me with any of the other DE's that I own. I would probably attribute it to the completely covered blade that may not dry off enough but the blades and razor are stainless so???!

If you will avoid rust:

Remove blade after each shave no matter the razor is stainless steel.

Stainless does not mean rust proof. Remember that !

22 5,055
 03-28-2013, 06:23 PM
User Info
I've tried and sold off a lot of razors, but the Tradere SB is one that I will always keep. It's beautiful and functional at the same time. It get incredibly close and smooth shaves with it every time. I pair mine with a Weber Bulldog handle, and it feels just right to me.

67 349
 03-28-2013, 06:27 PM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
The Tradere SB is my all time favorite. I've started to ween down my collection, and have stopped buying new razors. It's the smoothest, closest shave I could ask for!

9 408
 04-01-2013, 07:21 PM
User Info
For some reason, Tradere razors never peaked my interest.... until now.... greeeeeaaaat...

64 796
 08-25-2013, 08:23 AM
User Info
I have been on SEs for a long time. I took a DE break here and there but nothing to write gome about. I finally took out the SB and wow - what a shave. Close, smooth and zero irritation. For me it us the ultimate DE.

6 808
 08-26-2013, 05:31 AM
User Info
This is my favorite razor to use, it has perfect balance between the head and handle. I really like how the handle has shallow knurling making it very comfortable to hold. This is a mild razor that provides very smooth and close shaves. This is the only razor I've contemplated getting a back up.

21 459
 08-26-2013, 06:27 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Great razor, very beautiful and shaves fantastic, you should also try the OC version if you have the chance.

27 1,294
 08-27-2013, 05:59 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Although I did not retain my Tradere, I must admit they are an incredibly beautiful looking razor.

With every razor I own I always remove the blade between uses.

91 17,830
 08-28-2013, 06:28 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
I owned a first gen Tradere OC, and quickly sold it. I am definitely intrigued by the SB, but wish just the head could be bought.

135 1,946
 08-28-2013, 06:43 PM
  • gclyn
  • Markham, Ontario, Canada
User Info
Shanman, Tradere sell the heads only on their website. I think they are $120.

0 26
 08-28-2013, 06:45 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
Gah. Why did you just tell me that!

135 1,946
 08-28-2013, 09:06 PM
User Info
(08-28-2013, 06:45 PM)Shanman Wrote: Gah. Why did you just tell me that!

Sounds like you want oneBiggrin

0 606
 09-07-2013, 10:13 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well, I hope all you Tradere SB lovers are right. I just bought this one from Phil and I will give it a test run later next week.

[Image: 6oKDwXD.jpg]

173 23,513
 09-08-2013, 05:55 AM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
(09-07-2013, 10:13 AM)Johnny Wrote: Well, I hope all you Tradere SB lovers are right. I just bought this one from Phil and I will give it a test run later next week.

[Image: 6oKDwXD.jpg]

A far better choice than the Pils 101. If you like your Feather D2, I'm quite certain that you're going to like the Tradere SB. The Tradere SB is a bit more aggressive and nearly as smooth. The Feather/Tradere combo makes for a very nice combo indeed!

29 466