03-28-2013, 08:53 AM
User Info
I woke up this morning suddenly remembering - I think - that when I was a kid in the 1950s, the barber who gave me haircuts used shaving cream and a straight razor to finish up the edges of the hair around my neck, giving the finished haircut a sharp margin in back. Or did I just dream that?

184 12,002
 03-28-2013, 09:00 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(03-28-2013, 08:53 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: I woke up this morning suddenly remembering - I think - that when I was a kid in the 1950s, the barber who gave me haircuts used shaving cream and a straight razor to finish up the edges of the hair around my neck, giving the finished haircut a sharp margin in back. Or did I just dream that?

No you didn't, John. You were raised in the greater Los Angeles area, I believe, and I in Brooklyn and the procedure was exactly the same. Actually, my barber here in San Diego does that, with a shavette, but it really isn't quite the same. It certainly beats an electric razor, though, which I have had done in the past.

2 11,211
 03-28-2013, 09:08 AM
User Info
Ah, it's reassuring to know that I'm just living in hazy memories rather than delusions. Thinking back now, I remember that razor finish as one of my favorite parts of the haircut. (My only displeasure then with the haircuts was that I always got them on a Saturday morning, so that I missed some TV cartoons.) My current barber uses an electric to finish, which is just blah.

184 12,002
 03-28-2013, 09:12 AM
User Info
Bob still does it that way. But.... He'll also give you White Walls if your not alert!!

5 410
 03-28-2013, 09:29 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
My barber still does this as well, warm lather from the machine and a shavette. Goes all along my hairline, including around my ears which always makes me nervous...as I have several moles in there. Biggrin He never has cut them though, not a single time in over 3 decades.

31 1,510
 03-28-2013, 09:29 AM
  • jfmii
  • Pittsburgh PA
User Info
Only a barber in PA is licensed to give shaves with a straight razor. They must use a shavette. Neck shaves and trimming around ears using hot lather is standard with most barbers in my area of PA. It is my favorite part too!
My brother in law is getting his PA barbers license and he will be tested on using a straight (shavette) for face and neck shaves.

19 414
 03-28-2013, 09:45 AM
User Info
All the barbers I have gone to recently to get a haircut finish up with a shavette. Its pretty nice. They usually use the Lather King machine, but one place (La Flamme barbershop in Harvard Square) used an Omega Pro 49 and some lather from a shave soap (I think it was Proraso). However the next time I went in, the guy used Foamy.

72 1,407
 03-28-2013, 09:47 AM
  • freddy
User Info
See, John, we're not getting older...we're getting better! Thumbup

2 11,211
 03-28-2013, 09:50 AM
  • freddy
User Info
(03-28-2013, 09:45 AM)jpakstis Wrote: All the barbers I have gone to recently to get a haircut finish up with a shavette. Its pretty nice. They usually use the Lather King machine, but one place (La Flamme barbershop in Harvard Square) used an Omega Pro 49 and some lather from a shave soap (I think it was Proraso). However the next time I went in, the guy used Foamy.

FOAMY!!!!! A47 That's a punishable offense! Angry

2 11,211
 03-28-2013, 10:21 AM
User Info
My barber uses a shavette and does the side burns too.

9 2,988
 03-28-2013, 10:58 AM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
I can remember getting straight razor (hair) cuts in the mid-late 1960's. At my current barbershop, they use a shavette for trimming around the ears and neck. They also trim my eyebrows and any stray nose or ear hairs.

0 204
 03-28-2013, 11:07 AM
User Info
I'm another here whose barber uses a straight to clean up around the ears & neckline after a haircut. It's my favorite part of the experience.

31 7,912
 03-28-2013, 11:13 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Most barbers today mine included are afraid to use a straight razor for trimming or shaves because of liabilities resulting from immune
diseases. In fact when basketball players get cut they must come out of the game and have it taken care of before they are allowed to play again.

100 12,439
 03-28-2013, 12:00 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Hot lather machine, strop the old razor a few strokes, and trim. If a "barber" does not offer that service, he/she does not have my business.

No dream John. It is the way it should be.

173 23,505
 03-28-2013, 12:04 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(03-28-2013, 09:29 AM)jfmii Wrote: Only a barber in PA is licensed to give shaves with a straight razor. They must use a shavette. Neck shaves and trimming around ears using hot lather is standard with most barbers in my area of PA. It is my favorite part too!
My brother in law is getting his PA barbers license and he will be tested on using a straight (shavette) for face and neck shaves.

Here in central PA, my barber uses a shavette as well for trimming the nape of the neck, around the ears, and sideburns. Along with the warm lather, and the hot towel afterwards ... very nice! Biggrin

102 17,665
 03-28-2013, 01:28 PM
User Info
(03-28-2013, 12:00 PM)Johnny Wrote: Hot lather machine, strop the old razor a few strokes, and trim. If a "barber" does not offer that service, he/she does not have my business.

Some states have legislatively banned straight razors in barber shops.

9 2,988
 03-28-2013, 01:36 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(03-28-2013, 01:28 PM)asharperrazor Wrote:
(03-28-2013, 12:00 PM)Johnny Wrote: Hot lather machine, strop the old razor a few strokes, and trim. If a "barber" does not offer that service, he/she does not have my business.

Some states have legislatively banned straight razors in barber shops.

I also refuse to live in one of those states. Biggrin

173 23,505
 03-28-2013, 02:41 PM
User Info
I think it's absolutely brilliant that so many of your barbers still do this. Over here it's pretty rare, at least in my area of eastern Scotland. Usually the only places that would do that are Turkish barbers but you'd have to go into Edinburgh for that and I'm no city boy.

I used to go and get a haircut at an old barber's here in Penicuik - Martin's it's name was. Great old boy with his neat, slicked back, combed hair, navy blue barber's 'coat' and big sterilising jar in the corner. You'd walk down the street and open the old wood and glass pane door then a wee bell would ring as it closed. Up the stairs to a wee room with a TV in the corner and mostly older fellys sat round smoking, some chatting, some reading magazines of a dubious nature or a newspaper and the clip, clip, snip of scissors in the corner plus the usual, "Something for the weekend, sir?. Even by then though, the old boy had moved over to an electric but he still made a far better job round the back of my neck than any hairdresser ever has since.

Ah, memories....Cool

1 253
 03-28-2013, 03:24 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(03-28-2013, 02:41 PM)Gairdner Wrote: I think it's absolutely brilliant that so many of your barbers still do this. Over here it's pretty rare, at least in my area of eastern Scotland. Usually the only places that would do that are Turkish barbers but you'd have to go into Edinburgh for that and I'm no city boy.

I used to go and get a haircut at an old barber's here in Penicuik - Martin's it's name was. Great old boy with his neat, slicked back, combed hair, navy blue barber's 'coat' and big sterilising jar in the corner. You'd walk down the street and open the old wood and glass pane door then a wee bell would ring as it closed. Up the stairs to a wee room with a TV in the corner and mostly older fellys sat round smoking, some chatting, some reading magazines of a dubious nature or a newspaper and the clip, clip, snip of scissors in the corner plus the usual, "Something for the weekend, sir?. Even by then though, the old boy had moved over to an electric but he still made a far better job round the back of my neck than any hairdresser ever has since.

Ah, memories....Cool

Love your avatar. Haven't been to Penicuik since Edinburgh Crystal went belly-up. How sad.

I remember when every barber in Brooklyn had a strop hanging by the side of the barber's chair. In my youth, going into a barber who didn't have a straight was unheard of. Those days are long gone in most of the U.S., sadly. Sad

2 11,211
 03-28-2013, 03:46 PM
User Info
Very sad on both counts, Freddy. Sad

1 253