03-28-2013, 04:48 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Over the past few months I have refined my inventory to only items that I know work for me, and work well. I did my best to sever sentimental attachments.

What is left is a pretty efficient set of kit. About ten razors and a dozen brushes.

I am going to be spending a weeks vacation in a hotel and am giving thought to what I would bring. It's a whole lot harder when there are so many good candidates.

I've narrowed it down a bit.

Software..
I thought that was the easiest. Sticks. Right now a stick of Arko and Speick are ready to go. Will I take both or just one? Not sure.

Brush(es)..
A little harder. It's one of three brushes. Omega Mighty Midget, my Rudy Vey custom travel and the B&B Essential Boar. The B&B is at the end of the order and bottom of the list. The Mighty Midget could be a good choice. I have it only a week or so. It's inexpensive and I don't have to worry about losing it, but it isn't broken in yet and committing to a week with it? Not sure about that. The RV has gone with me on a few trips and it's a proven commodity. Two band finest TGN with a travel tube. It would impossible to not enjoy it. But do I go with the underdog and take the Omega?

Razor(s)..
I have been loving the Feather system. I'll have a fair amount of time on my hands so I could really drag a shave out if I wanted to, so I am pretty sure I will bring the Feather Dx. But we'll have at least one or two early mornings and it would be nice to whip through a shave or skip it all together. I was thinking I might bring the EverSharp SE and make it an all SE week. Or maybe the OSS for flexibility?

Alum..
I have a travel block from AoS.

Post..
Just going to bring a trial size bottle of GFT Skin Food in Extracts of Lime.

Maybe it's not as complicated as I thought...

33 914
 03-28-2013, 11:17 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Sounds like your packed and ready!

Happy travels and happy shaving!

91 17,829
 03-28-2013, 11:19 PM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
Easy for you, I am off for four weeks to China in 4 months and I cant make my mind.

KMF Cool Mint in Tube(small), p.160, MdC
Some SE Razor (7 to choose)
Maybe Simpson WeeScot or M&F Turnback?
GFT Coral Skin Food
Thinking KFBR or T&H West India Limes or simple Simpson AS Balm unscented
Styptic Pen

11 861
 03-28-2013, 11:37 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Wow, 4 months Jack!

Work, pleasure or both?

91 17,829
 03-29-2013, 01:45 AM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
Simply Pleasure!

11 861
 03-29-2013, 02:57 AM
User Info
I just spent a week from home. Actually I'm still in Boston as I write...

Here's what I brought:

Soap: Cella
Brush: 2012 LE Semogue
Razor: Gillette Tech
Blade: Voskhod
TSA travel container of witch hazel
A/S: DR Harris Pink
EdT: Luck Brand , Lucky You

This worked out beautifully for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 219
 03-29-2013, 05:45 PM
User Info
Biggrin

Yes, the problem isn't assembling a travel shave kit, the problem is choosing from many items, what makes the cut.

Most times I travel by car and space or weight isn't an issue.

Good luck gents!

32 6,309
 03-29-2013, 06:52 PM
User Info
Happy travels, gents!
Choices, choices, choices!Biggrin

75 20,883
 03-29-2013, 11:58 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
One day, one week, one month, this is my travel kit. The bag is always packed and ready to go.

[Image: SgdXao5.jpg]

173 23,508
 03-30-2013, 02:22 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I view the time I am away (from the early morning 'gotta get to work' routine) as time I can relax and engage the shave process. So, while I am looking to keep actual weight down, I don't want to skimp. And, I am going via auto train, no air travel, so blade selection and transport is a whole lot easier.

I've packed.

Decided to take just the Feather Dx and a Kai Mild. The Feather travel case is a piece of over-engineered art work. Two sticks, both travel brushes and the trial GFT Skin Food.

Should be fun!

33 914
 03-30-2013, 05:31 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Mike, can you post a picture of this Feather travel case? Don't believe I've ever seen one of these.

173 23,508
 03-30-2013, 01:52 PM
User Info
The last time I was going to be away for 3 days and 2 nights, I just decided to skip it altogether. Didn't really bother me. Then when I got home I shaved that evening, and it was a good experience. Took my time, and decided to make the evening shave a permanent habit. Glad I did it. I'm never in a hurry, and then next morning, shaving's off the list. Back to the point, excuse my rambling, I might need a travel kit if I'm going to be away for more than a few days, I'll probably take a boar brush, a soap, and a razor of some sort. I try not to put too much thought into it, but I do remember a few times I made dumb choices and didn't like what I had taken.

24 1,150
 04-02-2013, 05:43 PM
User Info
(03-30-2013, 05:31 AM)Johnny Wrote: Mike, can you post a picture of this Feather travel case? Don't believe I've ever seen one of these.

+1 Smile

Having just gotten into the world of traditional Wet Shaving and DEs, this thread got me thinking about *how* I'm going to be able to transport my gear for vacations or business trips. Huh

If any of you have recommendations for a good Travel Case and Brush Holder, please let me know.

Also, I'm guessing that unless I put my Aftershave and Shaving Cream into a 3 ounce container, I'm going to have to bring those via checked in luggage right?

I'm guessing the hassle with extracting Shaving Cream from a tiny 3oz travel bottle means a Stick is better?

Thanks!

3 270
 04-02-2013, 06:09 PM
User Info
ShaveRookie, What do you shave with now?

32 6,309
 04-03-2013, 05:39 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
[attachment=13941]

[attachment=13942]

[Image: pany4u7y.jpg]

The case for the Feather Dx non folding is a piece of over engineering at its best. The plastic is somewhat flexible and there are internal tabs that keep the head of the razor securely clamped between the two halves of the case once you snap it shut.

Pretty slick piece...

33 914
 04-03-2013, 06:57 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Great photos Mike!

I've been considering the case too, do you know if it fits the SS non folding Feather?

91 17,829
 04-03-2013, 07:36 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
According to what I've read, it fits the DX and RG non-folding straights.

Thanks for the nice pictures Mike.

173 23,508
 04-03-2013, 11:48 AM
User Info
Just replying to say what I take:

Software:
Usually a shave stick. Easier to bring on the plane for one. I like La Toja because it comes in a nice container with some holes for it to air out, and is a top-notch performer to boot.

Brush:
Go synthetic. The new Muhle brushes are great performers, even if you are a face latherer. They dry quickly so you don't have to worry so much about them being still wet in your luggage. Worth the investment IMHO. With what you have, I'd probably bring the Mighty Midget. Especially if you check luggage, don't take something that you will mourn if it gets lost.

Razor:
Gillette Guard. You can take it in your carry-on since it uses cartridges, and is a very nice performer. Or you can take a Bic Metal which is a nice disposable. I try to do carry-on when I can.

Exception: If I'm driving somewhere or checking in luggage, I'd probably take something that is also easy to replace *and* is not an aggressive razor; I don't want to worry about cuts when I'm in a hotel room. A Superspeed works fine for this. That or stick with the Guard/Metal.

Blades - just take what you like, but again proven blades that don't give you weepers.

Styptic Pencil - I'll take this over alum. You can buy them cheaply.

Aftershave - I find it is easier to 'decant' a balm instead of a splash; I can just pour some into a container used for shaving cream samples and it stays put. Nivea is fine since it does the job, but there are plenty of quality products out there.

Recently I have been taking cologne decants/samples with me as well, because I'm a fraghead. Diptyque was nice enough to give me a boatload of them with purchase. Cool

And the nice thing about all of this - this all works with a carry-on. Given the PITA that checked luggage is nowadays, this is the way to go.

12 1,243
 04-03-2013, 01:28 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
No idea what else fits. But I did try the CLB and it fit and member mcgils figured out a way to mod the case so the new SS non folding model fits.

Best I could do on the images gents. I have my D3 with me but no way to edit images. So I had to use my iPhone, Dropbox and SnapSeed before uploading.

Sent from East of Montauk

33 914
 04-03-2013, 04:48 PM
User Info
(04-02-2013, 06:09 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: ShaveRookie, What do you shave with now?

Hi ShadowsDad,

I just started, but am happily using:

* Edwin Jagger DE89L (Lined Chrome Handle) Razor
* Duke 3 Best Badger Brush
* Kiss My Face Green Tea Shaving Cream
* Musgo Real Aftershave Balm (Portugal)

I sadly only have an old Travel Case (old leather one) to throw everything into. But I haven't traveled since I started traditional wet shaving, so I'm not sure what kind of case I need for the Razor, for the Brush, to store Shaving Cream. The Aftershave I think I can just throw some in a generic 3oz container.

If anyone has recommendations, I'm all ears. Wink

Thanks!

3 270