03-28-2013, 06:18 PM
  • MrTGun
  • Toronto, Ontario
User Info
Well I figured why wait. Had my first shave which went well all things considered and now I have a few questions in regards to stropping.

I plan on sticking to my board strop for a while until I can get proficient before venturing into my hanging strop.

Question:

Assuming I dull the edge past "shave ready" while learning to strop, once technique improves can it be brought back with good technique? Tools at my disposal are my board strop, balsa loaded with CrOx and the felt portion of my hanging strop.

First attempt video:

I do have free a free honing option from where I purchased the blade, so even if I botch things it'll all be in the name of learning.

~TG

0 29
 03-28-2013, 06:30 PM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
Looking pretty good on my end. Cool

10 1,120
 03-28-2013, 06:45 PM
User Info
Any damage to a blade done via bad stropping can be corrected via good stropping except if you dull it by cutting or dropping or something catastrophic that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Crox brings a dulling razor back to life.

9 2,988
 03-28-2013, 06:58 PM
  • MrTGun
  • Toronto, Ontario
User Info
Thanks Lee! So as long as I keep doing what I'm doing a la the video, even if it results in a "duller" edge, a few passes on the CrOx board and back to good stropping should bring me back to "shaveable" yes?

Also - Thought on how to use my felt given my current setup? Naked before leather? Diamond spray at some point?

Cheers,

~TG

0 29
 03-28-2013, 07:07 PM
User Info
The only way to dull an edge while stropping is to drag the edge perpendicular to the leather or close enough to bend it. Shouldn't be a problem if you flip on the spine.

The other danger is cutting the leather, but that can't really be fixed if it's bad. Usually the razor is fine. Leather is about as hard to cut as hair.

IMO, felt is only really useful as a medium to hold diamond spray. Crox can work, but diamond spray is best. IMO.

9 2,988