03-29-2013, 05:46 AM
User Info
I've been wanting to put together a thread like this for a while, and with the news that Nivea may be discontinuing their Sensitive balm I figured I may as well pull the trigger. Each time I pass through CVS I see more new types of aftershave pop up, but there's not many reviews available. So, I might as well do some myself!

Here's the lineup:
[Image: 2heviom.jpg]

To get it out of the way, I'll go ahead and list the ingredients up front:

Dove Men+Care Post Shave Balm -- Hydrate+
Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/Vp Copolymer, Fragrance, Dimethicone, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/Beheneth-25 MA Crosspolymer, Linoleamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, DMDM Hydantoin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Disodium EDTA, Stearic Acid, Sodium Citrate, Panthenol, Sodium Lactate, Triethanolamine, Sodium PCA, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Ceramide 3, Phytosphingosine, Cholesterol, Ceramide 6 II, Ceramide 1

L'Oreal Men's Expert Comfort Max After-shave Balm
Active Ingredients: Ensulizole (1.8%), Octinoxate (7.5%). Inactive Ingredients: Water, Glycerin, Cyclohexasiloxane, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Hexyl Laurate, Triethanolamine, Arachidyl Alcohol, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Cyclopentasiloxane, Caprylyl Glycol, Behenyl Alcohol, Ammonium Polyacryloyldimethyl Taurate, Dimethicone, Arachidyl Glucoside, Xanthan Gum, Dimethiconol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Divinyldimethicone/Dimethicone Copolymer, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Leaf Extract, Limonene, 2-Oleamido-1,3-Octadecanediol, Hydroxypalmitoyl Sphinganine, Linalool, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, C12-13 Pareth-23, C12-13 Pareth-3, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Methylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Fragrance.

Aveeno Active Naturals Men's After Shave Lotion
Water, Glycerin, Distearlydimonium Chloride, Isopropyl Palmitate, Cetyl Alcohol, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter (Shea Butter), Petrolatum, Dimethicone, Avena Sativa Kernel Flour (Oat), Steareth-20, Sodium Chloride, Chlorphenisen, Cetyl Hydroxyethylcellulose, Benzaldehyde, Benzyl Alcohol

The Real Shaving Co. Post Shave Soothing Balm
Aqua (Water), Isopropyl Myristate, Stearic Acid, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclohexasiloxane, Triethanolamine, Lanolin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Parfum (Fragrance), Cetearyl Alcohol, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Allantoin, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Citric Acid, Linalool, Limonene.

Ok so maybe not the purest ingredients in the world, but they're worth a trial. I'll be judging them mostly by how much they soothe irritation, but scent and greasiness will be also be a factor.

And the first contender up is the Dove Men+Care
[Image: 332uhxw.jpg]

After my shave I discovered the first problem with this type of testing: I'm looking for how they soothe irritated skin, but I had a great shave today! Using Mike's Natural and my Cadet OC w/ a Shark blade gave a very smooth shave this morning.

But the bottom of my neck, my usual trouble spot, did feel a bit of roughness. So after the cold water rinse and a splash of Thayer's witch hazel I squeezed out a bit of the Dove balm into my palm.

The consistency was a bit thicker than Nivea Sensitive, which is more like a milk. The scent was very similar to that of a bar of Dove soap, with maybe a bit of citrus on top. It wasn't bad.

Spreading it onto my face I immediately felt it cooling. It went on nice and smoothly and absorbed quickly without leaving a greasy feeling. Overall, I was pleased with the experience.

10 2,062
 03-29-2013, 08:39 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I noticed the Dove and Aveeno new on my local shelves. I considered both for a moisturizer. I always use splashes but my face has become dry over the winter. I ended up trying the Every Man Jack balm/moisturizer and was not happy with it. I should have tried one of these. I did end up getting The Pacific Shaving Company daily moisturizer and I have been impressed with it.

45 3,955
 03-29-2013, 09:13 AM
User Info
I do tend to use splashes more, but I'll use balms when I need a bit of recovery or I want something unscented. Nivea has filled that role nicely, but it's good to have alternatives available.

10 2,062
 03-29-2013, 05:24 PM
User Info
I was surprised how nice the dove care balm felt on my sensitive skin. It is a great back up to the nivea.

0 10
 03-30-2013, 04:43 AM
User Info
Next up: L'Oreal

[Image: mm4voz.jpg] [Image: ok3i8p.jpg]

This balm was a little thinner than the Dove balm yesterday. The scent was actually unexpectedly pleasant. There were some floral notes, maybe lavender?

There wasn't as much of a soothing feeling though. And it left a clearly visible film on my skin for several minutes. This may be due to this being the only one containing SPF sunscreen. Either way, I think I prefer the Dove.

10 2,062
 04-01-2013, 05:35 AM
User Info
Third contender: Aveeno

[Image: 5uq0j.jpg] [Image: 2vj5zcz.jpg]

Again, this balm was more on the thicker side. From the description of oats on the package, I thought this might have a scent similar to Proraso Sensitive with Green Tea & Oat. But the Aveeno didn't really have any discernible scent at all.

The balm itself went on smoothly and absorbed quickly. It may be due to my having a rougher than normal shave this morning, but this felt more soothing than the other balms I've tried. This could be from the Shea Butter in the ingredients or just the shorter ingredients list in general. I like it.

10 2,062
 04-02-2013, 05:35 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
John, thanks for putting this together!

35 2,703
 04-02-2013, 07:42 AM
User Info
(04-02-2013, 05:35 AM)TexBilly Wrote: John, thanks for putting this together!

Not a problem! I went with something else this morning but I'll round it out tomorrow.

10 2,062
 04-02-2013, 08:23 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi John

Good and useful information there :thumsbup:

The new "Aveeno Active Naturals Men's After Shave Lotion" interests me, especially as I've been pretty impressed with Aveeno products in the past. I'll have to keep my eyes open for it at the local shops...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 04-03-2013, 05:31 AM
User Info
This morning I gave the last one a shot, the Real Shaving Co:

[Image: t8otaq.jpg] [Image: 2gtcfew.jpg]

This one was a thinner cream, which actually caused me to squeeze a bit too much out of the bottle. It has an earthy fragrance, with a bit a chemical scent on top. The skin care quality was pretty good, it soothed quickly and wasn't greasy. I'd put it at a similar level as the Dove in that regard.

The other negative for this cream though is that it is the only one with parabens. I'm not a huge stickler for ingredients but this is a deal breaker for some people.

10 2,062
 04-03-2013, 07:02 AM
User Info
So with all of these options tested, I would have to say my favorite is the Aveeno. The skin feel is really good, and my face did still feel moisturized much later in the day. The complete lack of scent works in its favor, since it can be paired with another fragrance. And the short ingredient list is another high point.

I'd put the L'Oreal as my least favorite. Not really bad, but the others all seemed to do more soothing. This may be a better summer option though due to the built-in sunscreen.

Dove and RSC would both be in the middle of the pack; solid performers. Dove would get the nod out of these two due to the lack of parabens.

This was my first review project like this, so please forgive any lack of descriptiveness. I realized after I started that these things are hard to describe beyond felt good, smelled ok, etc. But thanks for reading!

10 2,062
 04-03-2013, 07:47 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
How would you compare these to products from dedicated "boutique" shaving products manufacturers?

10 1,858
 04-03-2013, 08:15 AM
User Info
I haven't tried many of those in balm form, but I would think they would have an edge.

One I do own is the Proraso AS balm for sensitive skin (white), and I think that one stand above all of those for soothing and moisturizing, and I also prefer that scent. But it's also double the price, and anything from say Taylor's or Trumper would easily be more than that.

But these were easy to find in stores and cost between $4.50 and $8.00. For that range I'd say they performed very well.

10 2,062
 04-03-2013, 06:16 PM
User Info
John, as I started your OP I kind of had an idea you might pick the Aveeno. I would agree.

Nice review.

2 546
 04-03-2013, 08:22 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
the only one I have tried is the Real Shaving Co and I found it a good product, none of these product can be found around here but then we have others that are not available in the US (like Kruidvat Aftershave Balm, my favorite). Thanks for giving the info on these John!

27 1,294
 04-04-2013, 05:38 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Partly inspired by this post, I used my Nivea "Cool Kick" balm/moisturizer last night. It really is a decent product, particularly since I got it on sale, 2 for $7. Smile

10 1,858
 04-04-2013, 05:45 AM
User Info
I think it was Mantic who said in one of his videos that the canned goo you get for shaving creams from a drugstore are garbage, but the aftershaves found there can be surprisingly good. Mainly driven by the fact that the razors and creams are so irritating.

10 2,062
 11-05-2013, 08:24 PM
User Info
This is a great and helpful review. Thanks for sharing..

0 100
 11-07-2013, 01:13 AM
User Info
Another great balm is the Cremo Moisturizer. It is unscented and costs about $6.00. The only place I find it locally is at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Walmart recently started carrying the Cremo shave cream but I have not tried it yet, but oddly they don't carry the mositurizer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 123
 11-13-2013, 07:47 AM
  • Qhead
  • Cleveland, Ohio
User Info
I think I am a bit of an ASB snob - I've not found a "drugstore" balm that I am particularly impressed with, especially when compared to, say, Proraso or (my current favorite) eShave after shave cream. The drug store balms don't seem to moisturize as well for me. Of course the fancier brands probably have better and more costly ingredients. I know a lot of guys love Nivea ASB but it did not seem to do much for me. To me, ASB is more of a get what you pay for proposition, although not 100% of the time.

15 185