03-29-2013, 12:37 PM
User Info
Hello Forum,

I wonder if it is possible to set a resolution size limit to the pics posted in the forums ?

I know the pics are being resized automatically, but even this takes extra loading time and it's a pain sometimes, when people post several high resolution pics in the same post instead of downsizing them before uploading the pics.

Is it possible to set a limit for how high a resolution you are allowed to upload ?

This is not a big problem - I have a pretty speedy 50/5 connection, but sometimes on WIFI and LTE/4G it can be quite annoying when I would like to check the same thread several times during the day and then have to go through the same tedious heavy pic uploads in the same thread Smile

22 5,077
 03-29-2013, 01:24 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I fully agree. 800x600 is plenty big enough for anything we are posting

35 1,732
 03-29-2013, 01:28 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
If this is easy to implement from an administrative perspective, I have to agree with this suggestion, Claus.
I've actually compared my 4000X3000 images to resized 800X600 images, and for the purposes of forum posting/viewing, there is no difference visually. Load times for the former can be cumbersome, especially when multiple images are involved.

102 17,672
 03-29-2013, 02:13 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
I agree. Maybe its some members not knowing how to resize their pics which I think is the explanation.

:It detracts from viewing because the large pics hurt my eyes, I mean that literally. Smile

15 541
 03-29-2013, 02:44 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Most of the time I use Photobucket to shrink my photos to 800 x proportionate rendering so there is no problem. However, I am not crazy about Photobucket. Does anyone know if it is possible to shrink photos within iPhoto? I believe I have asked this before in another thread but, perhaps, I can get an answer here. Thanks.

2 11,211
 03-29-2013, 02:50 PM
User Info
(03-29-2013, 02:44 PM)freddy Wrote: Most of the time I use Photobucket to shrink my photos to 800 x proportionate rendering so there is no problem. However, I am not crazy about Photobucket. Does anyone know if it is possible to shrink photos within iPhoto? I believe I have asked this before in another thread but, perhaps, I can get an answer here. Thanks.

Freddy, I'm not home so I'm going from memory but I believe if you export a picture out of iPhoto into a folder elsewhere on your computer that you'll have an option during the export process to change the quality & possibly the soze of the photo.

31 7,914
 03-29-2013, 03:05 PM
User Info
I usually rezize my photos to 800x600, I think that is more than enough...

2 5,532
 03-29-2013, 03:11 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(03-29-2013, 02:50 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(03-29-2013, 02:44 PM)freddy Wrote: Most of the time I use Photobucket to shrink my photos to 800 x proportionate rendering so there is no problem. However, I am not crazy about Photobucket. Does anyone know if it is possible to shrink photos within iPhoto? I believe I have asked this before in another thread but, perhaps, I can get an answer here. Thanks.

Freddy, I'm not home so I'm going from memory but I believe if you export a picture out of iPhoto into a folder elsewhere on your computer that you'll have an option during the export process to change the quality & possibly the soze of the photo.

Thanks, Brian. I shall have to play with that and see what happens. Thumbsup Would it work if I just put the photo on my desktop? (Though, I do wish there was an easier way to do it within iPhoto itself.)

2 11,211
 03-29-2013, 03:33 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Freddy there is a way to resize in iPhoto. Select your image, then click File, Export. It will open a window. For the size you can click Small, Medium, Large, and Full Size. It will then ask where you want to save it, and you can upload it from there. Give me a bit and I'll get you the exact resolutions it exports too.

116 3,804
 03-29-2013, 03:39 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
For forum posts, other then BST, I export images with a limit of 800 at the longest edge. Many times I use 600 on the longest edge. For BST, I upload full size jpegs to my website and link back there, but only post a smaller size.

Almost all image management apps can resize.. something as simple as MS Picture Manager allows for it. Just remember to use Save As after resizing to avoid destructive edits to your original file.

Although a 800x600 jpeg is a rather small file, putting too many of them on your desktop for any length of time will kill performance as your OS has to refresh the desk top contents regularly. Better to dump them to a folder on your HD, create a shortcut to it on the desktop and work from there. Or, drop them on your desktop only as long as it takes to upload them elsewhere.

33 914
 03-29-2013, 03:57 PM
User Info

I use Mac also - as well as PC - and I use a program called Pixelmator to handle my photos, resize them, add effects and stuff like that - and it's fairly cheap priced for a photo editing program.

You can also just get the free program called GIMP for mac - this program also makes resizing photos pretty easy and fast.

You can also just use the built in program on your Mac to do it Wink

Tutorial video:

22 5,077
 03-29-2013, 04:01 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(03-29-2013, 03:57 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:

I use Mac also - as well as PC - and I use a program called Pixelmator to handle my photos, resize them, add effects and stuff like that - and it's fairly cheap priced for a photo editing program.

You can also just get the free program called GIMP for mac - this program also makes resizing photos pretty easy and fast.

Tutorial video:

Claus, thank you so much for all of this great information but where is the tutorial video? Huh

2 11,211
 03-29-2013, 04:11 PM
User Info
(03-29-2013, 04:01 PM)freddy Wrote:
(03-29-2013, 03:57 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:

Tutorial video:

Claus, thank you so much for all of this great information but where is the tutorial video? Huh

Right here - I edited my post while you were quoting it...that's why it disappeared Smile

I like this video better than the first I linked to, so therefore edited my post....

22 5,077
 03-29-2013, 04:23 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(03-29-2013, 04:11 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(03-29-2013, 04:01 PM)freddy Wrote:
(03-29-2013, 03:57 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I use Mac also - as well as PC - and I use a program called Pixelmator to handle my photos, resize them, add effects and stuff like that - and it's fairly cheap priced for a photo editing program.

Tutorial video:

Right here - I edited my post while you were quoting it...that's why it disappeared Smile

I like this video better than the first I linked to, so therefore edited my post....

Thanks, Claus, I shall give this a try in the future. Smile

2 11,211
 03-29-2013, 04:29 PM
User Info
(03-29-2013, 04:23 PM)freddy Wrote:
(03-29-2013, 04:11 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(03-29-2013, 04:01 PM)freddy Wrote: Claus, thank you so much for all of this great information but where is the tutorial video? Huh

Thanks, Claus, I shall give this a try in the future. Smile

You're welcome Freddy Smile

If you have several photos you want to resize to the same resolution - then you can click on them one by one, while holding down the SHIFT key on your keayboard, and then use the tutorial to resize several photos in one take. You can also choose them all in the same folder by holding down CMD and then the A key.

It only works for either a batch of horizontal photos OR a batch of vertical photos.

If you batch resize a horizontal and vertical photo to the same resolution, one of the photos will end up having the 'wrong' size resolution, so just remember that.

If a horizontal photo for instance is 1024 X 768, the vertical one will be 768 X 1024 (reversed resolution because you have turned the camera to get a vertical photo instead of the standard horizontal photo)

22 5,077
 03-29-2013, 08:20 PM
User Info
Agreed. I am very guilty of posting large pictures even though I am annoyed by their size as well. I am working on finding a solution to my iOS issue. All of my SOTD/BST pictures are with my iPhone and they always look wonderful up until the point that I resize them to 800/600 after editing. They always come out grainy looking after resize which is why I end up posting the standard sized pics. Any advice from iOS mobile users? I am using the picshop HD and Aviary apps for editing.

63 2,128
 03-29-2013, 08:53 PM
User Info
I don't think it's possible, just the file size (1mb, 3mb, etc.).

40 5,830
 03-29-2013, 10:41 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I take most all of my shaving pictures with my cellphone and it is set to take 640X440 pixel pictures. The pictures I am posting now I have even downsized from that down to 440X330 pixels.

I do my resizing on my desktop. When I open the picture I just click on tools at the top and click on the resize option.

173 23,555
 03-30-2013, 03:52 AM
User Info
I use an iPad for most my photos, I can't find anywhere in my settings, or on the few photo apps I have to resize a photo.
The photobucket app doesn't allow it either as far as I can see.

Suggestions for iPhone or iPad users?

31 1,800
 03-30-2013, 10:04 PM
User Info
Mike, I use the picshop app for my editing. As I stated above, even with the resize option I cannot seem to resize my pictures with as clear a resolution as the original size.

63 2,128