03-30-2013, 02:33 PM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
I always notice that some people refer to different scents of shaving soaps or creams as "flavors", when, they are just scents. You do not taste them, I hope. Biggrin I mean, do those who call them flavors call fragrances flavors? So, which term do you use? Scents or "flavors"?

10 1,120
 03-30-2013, 02:37 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
If I use the nose it's scents. If I use the mouth it's flavors. I use the nose for everything shaving related.

173 23,547
 03-30-2013, 02:59 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
I agree with Johnny for the distinction between "scents" and "flavors."

I take scents a step further, using the term "scent" when referring to natural scents/EO and "fragrance" when referring to perfumery/FO. Since fragrances burn my olfactory, this is an important distinction for me.

- Murray

4 1,150
 03-30-2013, 03:01 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Good point, Micheal.

The term 'scent' is more appropriate than 'flavor' when it comes to shaving products, as they indulge the olfactory senses and not necessarily the gustatory senses.

I will say though, that although alum has no particular 'scent', it does have a nice 'flavor' ... I have inadvertently discovered this ... Biggrin

102 17,670
 03-30-2013, 03:08 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
A great deal of the sense of taste comes from the addition of the scent of the food or drink. Try drinking coffee or tea without using your nose, you'll find it's "flavor" is greatly reduced. Your taste buds only recognize sweet, sour, bitter and salty. The smell adds all the complex subtleties which we call flavor. Wink

16 545
 03-30-2013, 03:32 PM
User Info
I think the term 'flavour' (apologies for the English spelling) is more of a colloquialism and just another way of saying the same thing for the sake of variety. Language is continually evolving and I do believe the way 'flavour' is used here, is like some sort of shaving slang or descriptive vernacular i.e. 'street talk' - using a different word to mean the same thing but one that is perhaps just a little cooler. I can remember reading Red Dwarf years ago and there is an observation made that humans have destroyed the Ozone layer by the trend of 'flavouring' their sweat. There 'flavouring' is used to add an extra element of disgust as the idea that sweat has a flavour to be tasted is abhorrent to most people. Also, the scents of some shaving creams can be used to describe actual flavours in the tasting sense e.g. Coconut, Lemon & Lime, Rose and Violet so it is easy to see why the word slips into shaving related commentary.

Of course, I could be talking out of my huge, bristly arse. Rolleyes

1 253
 03-30-2013, 03:35 PM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
(03-30-2013, 03:32 PM)Gairdner Wrote: I think the term 'flavour' (apologies for the English spelling) is more of a colloquialism and just another way of saying the same thing for the sake of variety. Language is continually evolving and I do believe the way 'flavour' is used here, is like some sort of shaving slang or descriptive vernacular i.e. 'street talk' - using a different word to mean the same thing but one that is perhaps just a little cooler. I can remember reading Red Dwarf years ago and there is an observation made that humans have destroyed the Ozone layer by the trend of 'flavouring' their sweat. There 'flavouring' is used to add an extra element of disgust as the idea that sweat has a flavour to be tasted is abhorrent to most people. Also, the scents of some shaving creams can be used to describe actual flavours in the tasting sense e.g. Coconut, Lemon & Lime, Rose and Violet so it is easy to see why the word slips into shaving related commentary.

Of course, I could be talking out of my huge, bristly arse. Rolleyes

That's kind of what I thought, but I'm not sure.

10 1,120
 03-30-2013, 04:31 PM
User Info
(03-30-2013, 02:37 PM)Johnny Wrote: If I use the nose it's scents. If I use the mouth it's flavors. I use the nose for everything shaving related.

Same here.

I somehow manage to always get it on my lips, but a quick wipe takes care of it before I'm tempted to lick it off.

8 2,718
 03-30-2013, 04:44 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I've actually accidently licked off MWF. Not bad.Smile

173 23,547
 03-30-2013, 08:22 PM
User Info
Mike, it is scents for me!

75 20,883
 03-30-2013, 08:28 PM
User Info
Its all about the scent, unless its toothpaste then it has to taste good.

39 694
 03-31-2013, 09:52 AM
  • RobE
  • NY USA
User Info
'Flavors', It's just an expression. Gairdner put it well.

17 290
 04-01-2013, 12:04 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Definitely just an idiom. Some people will even refer to flavors of operating system, or sects of a religion.

I doubt anyone really means they like to taste their shaving soap, although the Arko die-hards at B&B are a little weird.

10 1,858
 04-01-2013, 12:16 PM
User Info
Idiom. That's the word I was searching for in my post. Rolleyes

1 253
 04-01-2013, 12:39 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
just a FOS, methinks....it'd likely still all taste like SOAP !

we do taste what we smell....notice with stuffy nose/head cold, taste goes away...
the tongue didn't quit, the schnozz is on the blink.

Mr. Tongue only registers sweet, salty, bitter, sour sensations, Mr. Schnozz does the rest.

My feeling about scented shaving product, is that it is to lull us into not noticing that we are scraping our faces with sharp, scrapy blades. Instead, we are supposed to be daydreaming that we are on a tropical beach, or in some lush, fragrant garden !

BUT....the original purpose of many plant oils, etc. (besides smelling nice) is that they were intended to benefit the skin.

0 1,291