03-31-2013, 01:06 AM
User Info
My current set up is a feather asd1 with an ikon oc base plate. I was wondering if the gillette new deluxe is regarded as a better/smoother shave? All comments appreciated as I am looking to purchase one at a later date.

0 199
 03-31-2013, 02:02 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Very similar because the Ikon copied the Gillette...so depends on how much effort and cost you want to put into it...check out E-bay for the Gillette and you might score a good one for a lot less.

6 1,913
 03-31-2013, 10:22 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I find the Gillette NEW, regardless of whether Long, Short, Deluxe etc is NOT as effective OR as comfortable as the current iKon.

The previous Gen II iKon (easily discernible by it's polished finish) however, was very similar to the Gillette that is was modelled on...

My advice, if you are enjoying the OC base plate on the Feather, but want to try something else, would be to acquire the iKon SB base plate (which will fit your Feather) and provide an even closer shaving experience!

Otherwise if you are after something milder in OC I'd look into a Gillette OLD or something from the current Merkur OC offering...

91 17,857
 04-01-2013, 01:47 AM
User Info
Thankyou Harvey and Ben, I've only had the oc base plate for a week and even after such short a time using it the shaves I'm getting are the best of my life. I will keep my eye on bst and ebay and ask advice from everyone here before pulling the trigger because I can't afford to spend money on razors that dont shave as well/smooth as the asd1oc , however I like the look of the brassy gillettes and the merkur 1904.

0 199
 04-02-2013, 09:16 AM
User Info
Ben I have ordered a 1904oc from shaving i.e. and am now trying to source a gillette old on bst to go with my asd1 and ikon deluxe baseplate. Thanks for the adviceSmile

0 199
 04-03-2013, 06:53 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
The 1904 is a keenly priced razor that provides a very comfortable shave. It will provide a milder experience compared to your current OC set up. Enjoy!

91 17,857
 04-03-2013, 09:34 AM
User Info
Thanks Ben, If I don't like it I'll pass it onto my brother. I love the shaves I get with the feather/ ikon hybrid and an astra sp.

0 199