03-31-2013, 05:35 PM
User Info
It's all in the pre-shave prep work and faithful technique practicing....

Like many Noobies I was bit and bit hard by the doz of shave products available. Before I knew what hit me I own 8 brands of soap, 6 creams, 5 razors and 8 brushes. Now I can hear you say... "is that all... what a wimp" My point isn't that there is no need for a den full of shave items, and I use the term "need" to mean "great fun in having". My point is that I got caught up in the "ohhhh I gotta have one of those and three of those and a couple of them" syndrome. While neglecting the necessary focus on pre-shave prep and practicing good technique. Now that I've refocused on proper prep and attention to practicing my tech I've experienced several very "near" BBS shaves. I can't say I'm ready to produce a video or start a thread full of helpful suggestion. What I am saying to any Nobbies that may read this.... is enjoy all the wonderful shave paraphernalia that you care to, but neglect pre-shave prep and the many great threads from our erudite shave community concerning proper technique at your peril. Or at least at your discomfort, distress, frustration, irritation...you get the idea.

Happy Shaves....!

3 79
 03-31-2013, 06:01 PM
  • MrTGun
  • Toronto, Ontario
User Info
Needs vs wants my friend. I will happily agree that a den full of product coupled with bad technique is about as useful as me at 17 locked in a room with Megan Fox......but

I'd also say that the two aren't mutually exclusive. I put aside money for things I like and enjoy.

In some of my hobbies I would full on agree. My 6k road bike doesn't make me a better cyclist, but it does improve my experience. But that tool in the hands if the uninitiated is lipstick on a pig.

In this arena, with nothing really being absurdly expensive I say to each there own. Want an open comb week one....I say go for it. At worst you wander around with some bad razor burn and a dent in your ego.

Unless human lives are on the line I say fill your boots if it makes you happy.......all the while knowing that "gear" is never the measure of experience.

~TG

0 29
 03-31-2013, 06:06 PM
User Info
(03-31-2013, 06:01 PM)MrTGun Wrote: all the while knowing that "gear" is never the measure of experience.

~TG

Never heard it put better... carry on my friend..!

3 79
 03-31-2013, 06:27 PM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
Trial and error my friend. That is why it is The ART of Shaving. One day when the the blade is just right for that razor, the beard is softened just right, the lather possessing the perfect cushion and glide is applied and you hold the razor at the perfect "kill zone" angle that result in no nicks and slays whiskers by the thousands.
It is a journey. A very enjoyable one at that.

2 334
 03-31-2013, 06:32 PM
User Info
While i agree 100%, if i had stuck with the mekur i started with or even the DE89 i went to next i might have given up and gone back to cartridges. The noob novelty got me to try a milder "vintage" razor (my gillette tech) and gave me much better success. Now i feel that i can play with more aggressive razors, and if i have a bad shave one day, fall back on old reliable to recover, and get my technique down.

You also dont have to break the bank, whipped dog can put together a very good silvertip brush for under $30.

0 32
 03-31-2013, 06:46 PM
User Info
Congratulations and continued success!

75 20,884
 03-31-2013, 06:48 PM
User Info
Great realization Mark. What would you say is the most important aspect of your prep?

31 7,912
 03-31-2013, 06:59 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I being a relative NuBee myself I've always believed in proper prep and technique. I've all too often see a noob go off half cocked and expect shave nirvana right off the bat... Not here but on other forums I've seen bad advise. I've seen a few noobs get lucky and get a good shave and then want to throw back the same bad advise as if they are 30 year wet shavers. I only tout what I have found works for me. Yes I have gone through quite a few razors. Just to find what works for me. I have soap's & creams a plenty. Till one learns to make a proper lather, all that means nothing. I've tried different brushes just to ascertain what works for me. What this means is if you have sound principals and knowledge, if you have half a brain and a good dose of COMMON SENSE you can get there with relative ease.

As far as having a lot of gear that's on me. If that's what it takes for me to achieve my own place in shavedom then so be it. It's my money and I enjoy where I've been and where I'm going.Remember the old adage: YMMV.. If someone likes to collect gear who are we to tell them their limits. It's on them to do some research and practice technique. It's like putting the kids bike together for Christmas. Some folks don't have patience to read the directions... To me those folks are fools... I always advise anyone new to do some serious homework before putting steel to skin. If they don't what can I do. They are supposed to be grown men... All you can do is tell them "told you so"...

I have been lucky to befriend some very knowledgeable people here. When I have had a problem they have ALWAYS given me sound advice. And not just to me but to anyone who asks.....As I said I'm still new at this but thanks to this forum and some common sense, I can tell you I am getting better every day...

5 1,151
 04-01-2013, 03:59 AM
User Info
...yes.....we spend too much......

39 1,054
 04-01-2013, 04:29 AM
User Info
(03-31-2013, 06:48 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Great realization Mark. What would you say is the most important aspect of your prep?

Great question, I would say the 1st step is the most important. That being a warm (not hot) wash rinse then apply a pre-shave thin face lather. While that soaks I whip up my lather (in a RB scuttle) rinse again and apply lather for my 1st pass.

Everything changed when I started doing the above prep work and each shave afterward has been sweet !

3 79
 04-03-2013, 03:45 PM
User Info
Great post on how you can have every razor,soap,cream,brush, etc and if you don't know how to use it its just a waste.

So be happy and learn with what you have and maybe you might have the razor that gives you BBS shave that you never knew existed from it.

Me, I have purchased many things more then I ever need but, Im now learning what works and what doesn't I have a fair Idea of what im going to be keeping.

Some razors are just plain cool and I don't shave with them.

39 694
 04-09-2013, 04:27 PM
  • Notary
  • Montreal, Quebec
User Info
I am a relative newbie to traditional shaving; has been a little over a year. During that period I have spent quite a bit on collecting shaving stuffs and other related items. Like any hobbyist, collector, hoarder, connoisseur, aficionado, etc...we have a need to collect. However, we do not immediately realize that such innate needs can lead to an eternity of thirst that is temporarily quenched upon the purchase of a new item; and one that constantly re-surges after the excitement of the last purchase has worn off.

Do not get me wrong, I firmly believe in my need to collect, to possess, to own the best shaving accoutrements that I can afford, all the while knowing that I only collect, possess and own them temporarily, until my time on earth has expired, at which point they will be passed on to another individual that will appreciate and enjoy them as much as I did. That I believe the essence behind collecting and accumulating items that we appreciate. Even now when I use a vintage item whose origin is unknown to me, I always take a moment and ask myself who used this item?

Anyways, as a novice collector of shaving paraphernalia, with a small shaving nook, each and every addition to my den enhanced my attention to proper technique. Every time I used a new brush, razor or soap I was more conscious of the movements I made during its use. Contrary to your experience, I believe that the more I acquired the better I shaved, because I learned more about diverse products and always had a heightened awareness of the results these new products brought to my shave experience.

Good luck and maybe we will one day view your youtube video. Happy Shaving. Sam.

0 108
 04-09-2013, 05:35 PM
User Info
Wow Sam, great post ! I totally get the "touching the past with every shave" note. It is the same for me, my favorite razors are my growing collection of 1940's Gillette Tech, especially the Ranger. I enjoy thinking about who may have been the original owner way back in the day.
Thanks for chiming in, enjoyed what you had to say.

(04-09-2013, 04:27 PM)Notary Wrote: I am a relative newbie to traditional shaving; has been a little over a year. During that period I have spent quite a bit on collecting shaving stuffs and other related items. Like any hobbyist, collector, hoarder, connoisseur, aficionado, etc...we have a need to collect. However, we do not immediately realize that such innate needs can lead to an eternity of thirst that is temporarily quenched upon the purchase of a new item; and one that constantly re-surges after the excitement of the last purchase has worn off.

Do not get me wrong, I firmly believe in my need to collect, to possess, to own the best shaving accoutrements that I can afford, all the while knowing that I only collect, possess and own them temporarily, until my time on earth has expired, at which point they will be passed on to another individual that will appreciate and enjoy them as much as I did. That I believe the essence behind collecting and accumulating items that we appreciate. Even now when I use a vintage item whose origin is unknown to me, I always take a moment and ask myself who used this item?

Anyways, as a novice collector of shaving paraphernalia, with a small shaving nook, each and every addition to my den enhanced my attention to proper technique. Every time I used a new brush, razor or soap I was more conscious of the movements I made during its use. Contrary to your experience, I believe that the more I acquired the better I shaved, because I learned more about diverse products and always had a heightened awareness of the results these new products brought to my shave experience.

Good luck and maybe we will one day view your youtube video. Happy Shaving. Sam.

3 79