04-01-2013, 11:50 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
After waiting too long to pull the trigger on a Truefitt & Hill Style 1 Size Medium (imitation Ivory Horn), that particular shaving brush is sold out with no restock information, date, at this time -- about a month ago I decided to cease waiting and treat myself to a Truefitt & Hill Style 1 Size Small Silvertip Badger - imitation Ivory Horn.

Brush spec's:
  • Height: 84mm
  • Loft: 42mm
  • Base: 42mm
  • Knot: 22mm (Silvertip Badger)
[Image: x3dQsF4.jpg]

[Image: qoUpXcJ.jpg]

[Image: KG4ESyb.jpg]

I'm now one shy of my quaternity collection of fine (London) Gentlemen Pharmacy Shaving Brushes...

[Image: 0LZqHv9.jpg]

(Left to Right) TOBS RT1S, DR Harris H3, T&H Style 1 Size Small

[Image: bmo6I6j.jpg]

[Image: 4gVYFFz.jpg]

[Image: 0iem9Dv.jpg]

[Image: sATogv6.jpg]

[Image: 0dC3Sar.jpg]

[Image: 1zy5YtI.jpg]

So just a GEO F Trumper shaving brush needed to complete this collection...

23 1,872
 04-01-2013, 11:53 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Very nice collection of fine, classic brushes Mike! Smile

102 17,665
 04-01-2013, 12:49 PM
User Info
Lovely brushes, Mike! May you enjoy them for many years to come!

2 5,527
 04-01-2013, 01:44 PM
User Info
That DR Harris one is lovely!

9 2,988
 04-01-2013, 02:54 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I would love to have a DRH or TOBS style 1 Rooney in my collection. I already have the T&H 3/2 which I enjoy, but the style 1 has always had my eye. I gotta wait until they go on sale again or work harder on my subtle hints to my wife for my upcoming birthday and our upcoming anniversary.

127 2,377
 04-01-2013, 04:45 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
A most delightful trio, sure to please even the most discerning gent, congratulations!

91 17,830
 04-01-2013, 10:14 PM
User Info
Beautiful brushes Mike. Which one is your favorite?

Also can you post a pic of the DR Harris H3 with duke 3 & chubby 2 if you still have them.

Thanks!

7 128
 04-02-2013, 08:43 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Gents, thank you for the kind words Smile

The hunt now begins in earnest for an old stock (Simpsons produced) GEO F Trumper shaving brush...

(04-01-2013, 02:54 PM)blzrfn Wrote: I would love to have a DRH or TOBS style 1 Rooney in my collection...

Hi Dave

Can't comment on DR Harris shaving brushes going on sale, but I can tell you Taylor of Old Bond Street RTxS shaving brushes have gone on sale the past couple of January's (2012 & 2013) via here...

Good luck Smile

Take care, Mike

(04-01-2013, 10:14 PM)Badger Wrote: Beautiful brushes Mike. Which one is your favorite?

Also can you post a pic of the DR Harris H3 with duke 3 & chubby 2 if you still have them.

Hi

Thank you Smile

Hmmm, that's a difficult one... I'm not just saying it, all three are excellent shaving brushes.

You can read my review of the HR Harris H3 here...

The DR Harris H3 is definitely the most luxurious of the three, but that could purely be down to its overall size compared to the other two.

Even though the Taylor of Old Bond Street RT1S is listed as Super Badger and the Truefitt & Hill Style 1 Size Small is listed as Silvertip Badger I really can't see or tell the difference between the badger hair grades used in the knots. The T&H knot is more densely packed. The handles are near enough identical. Both brushes are excellent face lathering tools, regardless is you're a shaving cream or soap person, or if you build lather via painting strokes or circular motions.

I don't have the money, but if I did, I would might treat myself to all three sizes in each of the three shaving brushes. I like them that much.

At this time I don't own a Simpsons Duke 3, I returned Teiste's one to him late last week, along with my Simpsons Chubby 2 -- when I receive the Chubby 2 back from Teiste I can take a photo or two of the DR Harris H3 and Chubby 2 together, then post the photos here...

Take care, Mike

Edit: RTxS not RTSx

23 1,872
 04-02-2013, 12:27 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Well we just missed out on a Trumper branded Duke 1 on ebay. I was in the bidding up to my limit and it sold for just a bit more unfortunately. I will try and be patient for the TOBS brush hopefully it will go on sale sooner.

127 2,377
 04-02-2013, 12:51 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Mike, great selection of brushes and great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

173 23,513
 05-01-2013, 11:51 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(04-01-2013, 10:14 PM)Badger Wrote: Also can you post a pic of the DR Harris H3 with duke 3 & chubby 2 if you still have them.

(04-02-2013, 08:43 AM)mikeperry Wrote: At this time I don't own a Simpsons Duke 3, I returned Teiste's one to him late last week, along with my Simpsons Chubby 2 -- when I receive the Chubby 2 back from Teiste I can take a photo or two of the DR Harris H3 and Chubby 2 together, then post the photos here...

Apologies for the delay in posting these photos...

[Image: MPdXYyf.jpg]

Left to Right: DR Harris H3 (Best Badger), Simpsons Chubby 2 (Super Badger)

[Image: KYedbPn.jpg]

[Image: dELtJev.jpg]

23 1,872