04-01-2013, 02:20 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
For such a limited run, with customization making each individual brush even rarer, I am absolutely shocked at how many of these brushes are being sold. I guess I understand preferences, but it seems like owners are having a tough time even recouping half of their investment. Is there a fatal flaw in these brushes? I just got a 944 D01 Silvertip and am blown away by its performance. I can't imaging these LE brushes not living up to this same standard. Can anybody enlighten me?

127 2,375
 04-01-2013, 02:41 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I sold mine (D01 3-band) because I hated the handle..with the sloping design towards the "base" of the handle and no actual base there for your fingers to grasp, made it very slippery and it had tendencies to "squirt" out of your grasp.
However, the knot was phenomenal, I hated to see it go but I had pretty much stopped using it entirely due to my dislike of the handle.

31 1,510
 04-01-2013, 02:48 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(04-01-2013, 02:41 PM)Arcadies Wrote: I sold mine (D01 3-band) because I hated the handle..with the sloping design towards the "base" of the handle and no actual base there for your fingers to grasp, made it very slippery and it had tendencies to "squirt" out of your grasp.
However, the knot was phenomenal, I hated to see it go but I had pretty much stopped using it entirely due to my dislike of the handle.

That makes sense, I guess that tapered design could make it tough to set it down in between passes for us face latherers too. Thanks for the feedback, though I may still snag one in D01 2-band just for the experience if the price is right. The D01 Silvertip is amazing! I had no idea what I was missing.

127 2,375
 04-01-2013, 02:58 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I've been considering offing mine as well, but not for the handle, but for the knot. It's actually been really scratchy to me (D01 3-band) and kind of unpleasant to use. I think my hands are small enough that the handle isn't a problem for me. I just want softer brushes. I think I'll try again tomorrow and see how it goes.

35 1,732
 04-01-2013, 03:04 PM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
I sold mine (D01 3-Band) because I wasn't a fan of the knot or the handle.

Like Arcadies said, it was really slippery in the hand and I found the small beehive ribs awkward.

Also wasn't a fan of the knot. It was really nice and soft at the tips and relatively dense, but it just lacked the backbone I look for in my brushes.

I've cleared any 3-Band and Boar brushes out of my den altogether and stick to 2-Bands. I love the way they perform and look.

I honestly probably wouldn't have jumped on the group buy, but I felt that it was a fantastic opportunity to try a Shavemac knot at a great price. Hopefully the new owner will use and appreciate it for what it is.

13 599
 04-01-2013, 03:33 PM
User Info
I have never owned or seen one in person, but here is my take on it and pretty much my initial thought when it was announced as well.

It was not the best design overall from the handle to the knot shape. It's a very odd shaped handle and not universally accepted (barrel). I have also been told, and tend to agree, the the D01 knot excels at a Fan shape. The price was good but for a few bucks more they are 100% customizable direct. I would have preferred if it was going to be a "forum brush" that some input would have been considered from members (handle shape, knot shape etc)

Combine that will all the other LE's that were out about the same time, it was offered in a smaller forum and the fact that people were buying multiple LE's around this time (Vie-Long, Shavemac, Semogue), they chose 1 or 2 to keep from what they ordered and the rest have been put up for sale. In most cases the Semogue seems to be the one hitting the sales threads most frequently.

The LE's were hitting the forums and markets too quick, people expected them to sell out over night and were ordering multiples of the same design. Turned out they were not flying off the shelves and almost didn't even sell out.

They seem to be a hard sell. I've seen used D01's as low as $60. Now that they have been up for sale this often, they will continue to be harder to sell as people will realize that they can get them for less if they wait a bit as there are sure to be more that hit the sales threads. Same thing happened with the 2011 Semogue brushes when they offered 4 versions, each with 100 runs.

I may be way off on the above, but that is my view on it, for what that's worth.

8 2,718
 04-01-2013, 03:41 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(04-01-2013, 03:33 PM)Bruce Wrote: I have never owned or seen one in person, but here is my take on it and pretty much my initial thought when it was announced as well.

It was not the best design overall from the handle to the knot shape. It's a very odd shaped handle and not universally accepted (barrel). I have also been told, and tend to agree, the the D01 knot excels at a Fan shape. The price was good but for a few bucks more they are 100% customizable direct. I would have preferred if it was going to be a "forum brush" that some input would have been considered from members (handle shape, knot shape etc)

Combine that will all the other LE's that were out about the same time, it was offered in a smaller forum and the fact that people were buying multiple LE's around this time (Vie-Long, Shavemac, Semogue), they chose 1 or 2 to keep from what they ordered and the rest have been put up for sale. In most cases the Semogue seems to be the one hitting the sales threads most frequently.

The LE's were hitting the forums and markets too quick, people expected them to sell out over night and were ordering multiples of the same design. Turned out they were not flying off the shelves and almost didn't even sell out.

They seem to be a hard sell. I've seen used D01's as low as $60. Now that they have been up for sale this often, they will continue to be harder to sell as people will realize that they can get them for less if they wait a bit as there are sure to be more that hit the sales threads. Same thing happened with the 2011 Semogue brushes when they offered 4 versions, each with 100 runs.

I may be way off on the above, but that is my view on it, for what that's worth.

Yes, I agree. The LE's ended up not being all that limited which ended up having an effect on the overall brush market. The market was flooded.

45 16,298
 04-01-2013, 04:14 PM
User Info
(04-01-2013, 02:41 PM)Arcadies Wrote: I sold mine (D01 3-band) because I hated the handle..with the sloping design towards the "base" of the handle and no actual base there for your fingers to grasp, made it very slippery and it had tendencies to "squirt" out of your grasp.

What handle model was it ?

22 5,047
 04-01-2013, 04:17 PM
User Info
(04-01-2013, 04:14 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: What handle model was it ?

do you mean colour? as all the handle were identical in size and shape (beehive barrel)

[Image: attachment.php?aid=8427]

8 2,718
 04-01-2013, 04:22 PM
User Info
(04-01-2013, 04:17 PM)Bruce Wrote:
(04-01-2013, 04:14 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: What handle model was it ?

do you mean colour? as all the handle were identical in size and shape (beehive barrel)

[Image: attachment.php?aid=8427]

Ahhhh.....sorry overlooked the part of the title that said *SN* Blush

I bought a black version of this, but while I really enjoyed the knot hair (only based on looks, as I did never use mine) I resold it fast - because while the handle was great to look at, I found out that I preferred the Rooney/Vie Long Bullgoose beehive handle shape much much more.....

But never really tested it, just felt it wasn't quite my cup of tea Smile

22 5,047
 04-01-2013, 04:30 PM
User Info
(04-01-2013, 04:22 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Ahhhh.....sorry overlooked the part of the title that said *SN* Blush

I bought a black version of this, but while I really enjoyed the knot hair (only based on looks, as I did never use mine) I resold it fast - because while the handle was great to look at, I found out that I preferred the Rooney/Vie Long Bullgoose beehive handle shape much much more.....

But never really tested it, just felt it wasn't quite my cup of tea Smile

it would have benefited from a more traditional Beehive shape or even inverted slightly (not barrel, but Simpson Eagle shaped).

8 2,718
 04-01-2013, 04:30 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
The "limited" aspect of last year's multi-brush roundup wasn't a deciding factor in my buying any of them.

The only brushes I have bought, that I would even consider parting with, is a couple of EJ synthetics that I bought for the purpose of scoping out their performance in daily usage with soaps and creams. And that, only because having spares of those brushes, the ones I would B/S/T are "extras".

0 1,291
 04-01-2013, 04:39 PM
User Info
I got one with D01 3 band knot which is absolutely terrific. It's near perfect for face lathering and that's the reason I held onto the brush. The handle almost made me sell it instantly. I don't really care for the handle.

15 762
 04-01-2013, 05:50 PM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
I still have my D01 two-band, love the handle, and the tips of the hair are extremely soft when wet. I will not be getting rid of mine.

10 1,120
 04-01-2013, 07:41 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
it was the handle shape that prevented me from participating.

47 1,378
 04-01-2013, 08:21 PM
User Info
I completely agree with the above statements. The ONLY reason I haven't sold mine is because it says "The Shave Nook" on it. It has sentimental value to me but that is about the only thing I like about it. The handle is not the most attractive to me and the knot is very small and near floppy, I have the standard silvertip. Shavemac was very generous in making us these special brushes for us but they don't really seem to appeal to everyone, especially with the barrel beehive shape which is a bit different.

63 2,128
 04-01-2013, 08:47 PM
User Info
I don't find the handle to be hard to keep hold of (another benefit of creating an UltraLather is that the dense lather stays in the brush & doesn't overflow to the handle) & I prefer the look of this beehive to all of the others I've seen.

I have the D01 3-band knot and while I do really enjoy the soft tips & medium backbone my complaint is that for a knot this highly regarded & it's price point that it shouldn't need to rely on a huge glue bump to create the backbone. The glue bump shortens the effective loft giving a brush better backbone from a class of hair that otherwise wouldn't be this resilient.

I don't plan on getting rid of mine anytime soon, if at all. I'm completely satisfied with getting this brush as it was the most affordable way for me to try a Shavemac D01 knot. I won't be in any hurry to get another one though. I do think that I'll use my #003/100 Ebony TSN'13 LE in the morning thanks to this thread & I'm confident that I'll get an amazing lather & it will feel great being massaged into my face.

31 7,912
 04-01-2013, 11:01 PM
User Info
I'm not going to get rid of the one I still own, but truth be told, it doesn't get much face time. I'm going to use it tomorrow thanks to this thread.

9 2,988
 04-02-2013, 01:24 AM
User Info
Although the handle is very nice looking, the ergonomics are bad. This brush is very tough to hold with wet and soapy hands,which happens when face lather. I dropped mine a few times, but I love the knot and keep her.

0 163
 04-02-2013, 01:41 AM
User Info
I actually enjoyed this LE project. I found the LE shavemacs a perfect occasion to try out the various types of shavemac knots (and I learned a lot for the RV3M project in that regard), and I find the handles aesthetically pleasing.
As a minor remark, the handles may be a tad small for my liking but I have no hassle with the grip.

At the same time, I also noticed that at that time the LEs popped up everywhere. That was probably not a good thing.
I remember also the latest LE Semgue receiving quite a bit of critique.

To me, a LE should be very unique and truly limited, in terms of design,knot shape or material and so on.
Also, from our collective wisdom we should be able to create something unique that is yet interesting for a lot of wet shavers.
The earlier TSN LE comes to mind, brilliant project.

0 641