04-01-2013, 08:44 PM
User Info
Hello guys and gals Smile

I just received these 2 Merkur razors in a 6 package DE Razor haul and just had to share my amazement over the Merkur level of quality control and finish on products you can be lucky enough to experience, when you buy merkur razors.

I have so far only owned the Futur in shiny polished chrome - and frankly that razor is flawless in the finish.
It's as beautiful as a Futur razor now can be - PERFECT finish !

Now the 39c, which I unpacked at first, was just as great looking finish wise as my Futur Polished chrome.

The handle seems a bit loose, but that is the structure and design of this razor series, so have to live with that. You unscrew the buttom knop in order to get the top cap out so you can install the blade.
I can say nothing about the 39c, other than it looks cool and the finish is flawless.

Here comes the 38c Dodgy
This razor just should simply not have left the factory where it was built. The swirling handle is full of rather large scratches and at the very bottom of the handle there is a 3-4 mm long deep scratch - you just get the feeling that if Merkur can let something like this get out of the factory, what else can one experience from Merkur Confused

Price is not an excuse, as Edwin jagger and Mühle razors cost the same or less, and all have flawless finishes - I own 10-12 Muhle and EJ razors, they are all flawess.

I heard Merkur had trouble 1-2 years ago, but the shaving shop I bought this at sell a LOT of razors, and I'm sure this was a brand new 38c. I realize we're all humans and make mistakes, but this razor is just a very poor example and prove that Merkur still have quite severe quality control issues......

I'm not going to post pics to prove my point, I'm selling the 38c along with my Scuttle and some Rose TF&H cream and 50 DE blades, and will let the buyer know that this 38c is in far from perfect condition....

Unfortunately returning it to the shop, where I bought it at, will almost cost me as much as the razor in shipping cost, so I just chose to keep it and will resell it ASAP.

The 3 Mühle I also bought and the 4 Edwin Jaggers I have purchased the last 2 months have all been PERFECT !

Just had to let it out Cool

22 5,064
 04-01-2013, 08:57 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Claus ... be happy that your 39C and Futur were relatively free of flaws. I suspect Merkur has the capacity and means to match the finished quality of EJ/Muhle ... but chooses not to do so ... perhaps out of complacency. It's a pity really, because they have a rich heritage of producing innovative designs ...

102 17,670
 04-01-2013, 09:08 PM
  • RobE
  • NY USA
User Info
The 37C was a game changer for me. That and an AS-D1 standard + iKon OC base is all I need forever... I think. I might like your scuttle if I could see a pic. Smile

17 290
 04-02-2013, 12:13 AM
User Info
(04-01-2013, 09:08 PM)RobE Wrote: The 37C was a game changer for me. That and an AS-D1 standard + iKon OC base is all I need forever... I think. I might like your scuttle if I could see a pic. Smile

Per request Smile

[Image: 2PIQlH7.jpg]

16 cm wide, 14 cm tall - 2 piece

22 5,064
 04-02-2013, 12:52 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Nice scuttle Claus!

91 17,856
 04-02-2013, 01:06 AM
User Info
Is that a Proshave scuttle from Denmark, Claus? Very interesting! Cool

2 5,532
 04-02-2013, 04:15 AM
User Info
......beautiful scuttle!!!!

...........who makes that scuttle?

39 1,054
 04-02-2013, 04:25 AM
User Info
I'm pretty sure it is a Proshave scuttle from Denmark. Claus can certainly say more about this...

I love the look of those scuttles...

2 5,532
 04-02-2013, 12:34 PM
User Info
(04-02-2013, 12:52 AM)ben74 Wrote: Nice scuttle Claus!

Thanks, Ben Smile

(04-02-2013, 01:06 AM)oversaturn Wrote: Is that a Proshave scuttle from Denmark, Claus? Very interesting! Cool

Indeed it is Smile

(04-02-2013, 04:15 AM)leonidas Wrote: ......beautiful scuttle!!!!

...........who makes that scuttle?

It's made by a small Danish pottery on special order by Danish shaving site http://www.proshave.dk
They placed a special order for a Proshave Scuttle - did some testing on the design and talked a bit with the ceramist about the design.

(04-02-2013, 04:25 AM)oversaturn Wrote: I'm pretty sure it is a Proshave scuttle from Denmark. Claus can certainly say more about this...

I love the look of those scuttles...

You are correct, Sir Wink

(04-01-2013, 08:57 PM)Agravic Wrote: Claus ... be happy that your 39C and Futur were relatively free of flaws. I suspect Merkur has the capacity and means to match the finished quality of EJ/Muhle ... but chooses not to do so ... perhaps out of complacency. It's a pity really, because they have a rich heritage of producing innovative designs ...

When I got my Futur in polished chrome, I was surprised over the beautiful finish.
The 39c is also perfect, but it rattles a bit, when you shake it. Honestly I don't like the design of the 34/37/38/39 Merkur razors with the unscrewing knob at the bottom Undecided

I might get the 34G because of the gold finish, but I'm done buying Merkur after that.
They are simply too crabby quality wise for my taste.
I have ZERO tolerance and ZERO respect for a company that let razors with deep scratches out of the factory and into the shaving shops and charges prices that are on par or even higher than Mühle/Edwin Jagger.

But as long as people buy them, they will continue with this shady quality control.
I collect a bit, so I buy the Merkurs to know what I'm talking about.

German quality and Merkur just does not match very well, does it ?
You would think maybe Merkur was made in the former Eastern Germany to be frank - the quality matches the old East German car brand, TRABANT Biggrin

22 5,064
 04-02-2013, 01:20 PM
User Info
You should get a Progress then - where the knob is set differently with each sample. I am shocked that a screw, A SCREW, is beyond their capacity to properly manufacture and people shell out $50 on A SCREW upgrade...
As for the plating finish, if a small company in India can properly plate a razor (Cadet, etc) then where does it put a German company in comparison?

6 808
 04-09-2013, 12:57 AM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
I had/have the same issues with my 38c, I actually sent the first one back, but its replacement was no better. At this point I really don't care, as it is absolutely my favorite razor.

17 544
 04-09-2013, 02:32 AM
User Info
(04-09-2013, 12:57 AM)Macko Wrote: I had/have the same issues with my 38c, I actually sent the first one back, but its replacement was no better. At this point I really don't care, as it is absolutely my favorite razor.

I don't think I will order more Merkur razors again.
I'm a small DE razor collector, and now own 39c, Futur and now got the Mergress XL with the short knob. Also bought the 47c, and they are all fine.
But the 39c feels like mediocre quality, when you hold it in your hand.......it was scratch free, but feels cheap.

The 38c is now being sold for a good price.
I may try the 34G in gold and see if the finish is better made on that one - but Merkur need to step up their game before I can recommend them to other shavers.

22 5,064
 04-09-2013, 06:26 AM
  • Elbe
  • Wolfsburg, Germany
User Info
(04-02-2013, 12:34 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: German quality and Merkur just does not match very well, does it ?
You would think maybe Merkur was made in the former Eastern Germany to be frank - the quality matches the old East German car brand, TRABANT Biggrin

It is better by now than it was 2 years ago. At that time the quality of their DE razors was lousy.

I've heard stories that they used a completely old and worn out machinery park to produce the non-adjustable razors, but that there was at least some investment in the meantime.

But still I think one can quote Forrest Gump "Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." Same applies to Merkur razors. The last two I bought, a 37c and a 43c were absolutely flawless. But I bought them in a brick and mortar shop and inspected them carefully before buying. Before I had a 39 bought in a webshop, and it had a quality like a bulgarian brick trowel. Quality Control? Ha! Good one!

0 229
 04-09-2013, 09:54 AM
User Info
This is like the old "you can't be half-pregnant" (borrowed from another language). Either you invest in quality control or you just pass anything produced out of the shop.
There is no reason why the Progress dial knob is not calibrated out of the factory. It is a decision made with the notion that no other manufacturer makes adjustable razors today so if some one wants one the should get it and like it. In other words, disrespect for their customers. For about the same price, one can get a wonderfully crafted (albeit not my cup of tea) stainless steel Weber.

6 808
 04-09-2013, 10:11 AM
User Info
Merkur quality control issues continue so it seems, Claus. I have owned 4 Merkurs( 34, 38, 39 and my still active 1904) and luckily have had no issues with any of them. Just lucky maybe? There is no question that Edwin Jagger/Muhle have a finish in a different league altogether. That said, I still prefer the Merkur for shave quality in terms of greater aggressiveness yet smoother too. YMMV.

31 4,957
 04-09-2013, 12:00 PM
User Info
I'm with you David.

EJ's are finished better but Merkurs shave so much better.

7 1,179
 04-09-2013, 04:34 PM
User Info
I've owned a 34C, 37C, 39C, Futur, 2 Progress, and Mergress. Of those razors, only one (a Progress) had issues. However, it was serious issue. The plating on the blade guard was so rough that it caused the blade to warp when loaded.

So I guess for me Merkur is 6/7.

10 98
 04-10-2013, 10:51 AM
User Info
(04-09-2013, 04:34 PM)Manning Wrote: I've owned a 34C, 37C, 39C, Futur, 2 Progress, and Mergress. Of those razors, only one (a Progress) had issues. However, it was serious issue. The plating on the blade guard was so rough that it caused the blade to warp when loaded.

So I guess for me Merkur is 7/8.

For me Merkur was 3/4, but it's not so much that they suffer from minor imperfections that worry and really irritates me.

It's the fact that the 38c I received in my 6 DE razor haul was so severly full of scratches and dings, that the error is so grave that it might simply turn me totally away from the Merkur brand if I was a one time buyer, and not a collector as I am and a shaver with knowledge of the risks I run buying Merkur razors.

I only dared to buy a Progress, because I got the Mergress XL and I know The guy who custom makes these only takes the best looking Progress razors and transform them into Mergress razors. So he does the quality control after Merkur has done their (lack of control) ;-)

22 5,064
 04-10-2013, 11:45 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Which Merkur would be equivalent to the Jagger/Muhle 89 series?

173 23,546
 04-10-2013, 11:47 AM
User Info
(04-10-2013, 11:45 AM)Johnny Wrote: Which Merkur would be equivalent to the Jagger/Muhle 89 series?
The 34HD is probably the closest, albeit slightly more aggressive.

31 4,957