04-02-2013, 05:16 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I love aftershave splashes. So much so that I've been known to apply more than one after a shave - whether I need it or not - or just for the helluvit throughout the day. In fact, I also mix my own aftershave cocktails. I'm currently working on a 50/50 mix of Alt Insbruuk and Speick.

OK, Nook - Are any of you closet AAs? Biggrin

35 2,703
 04-02-2013, 05:48 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I'm a aftershave splash addict myself and I have been one since I started wet shaving. I apply more than once a day also lol. At present I have 41 splashes. I have had many more that I've used up or sold in the last 4 years.

45 3,955
 04-02-2013, 06:43 AM
User Info
If I tallied the ones I've 1) bought, disliked, and sold 2) bought, liked, and sold reluctantly 3) bought and kept -- I'm sure it would come to around 30 bottles. Plus probably 20 or more little sample bottles. That's in about four years.

When I discovered I just couldn't do bay rum, I diluted it down with Royall Mandarin to make something new and yummy. When a sample of TSD coconut was just SO coconutty, I poured it into some lime AS and got a very nice splash I still use.

Mmm.

9 166
 04-02-2013, 08:23 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Nice, Matt! I too don't like Bay Rums that are too strong so I'm already thinking about a match or two for a new AS cocktail. Cool

35 2,703
 04-02-2013, 10:28 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(04-02-2013, 05:16 AM)TexBilly Wrote: I love aftershave splashes. So much so that I've been known to apply more than one after a shave - whether I need it or not - or just for the helluvit throughout the day. In fact, I also mix my own aftershave cocktails. I'm currently working on a 50/50 mix of Alt Insbruuk and Speick.

OK, Nook - Are any of you closet AAs? Biggrin

Curious to know how this turns out. Two of my favorites.

173 23,490
 04-02-2013, 10:35 AM
User Info
I've tried and tried to like splashes, but they don't do it for me (I answered in another thread but I love Pre de Provence balm).

My biggest recent disappointment: Myrsol Aqua Balsamica. I could smell its nice fragrance sniffing the top of the bottle, but when I put it on...nothing. Just a "soap" smell after a couple of beats.

I also just picked up a bottle of Pinaud Clubman at CVS. Sniffing the top, it smells just like my barbershop. Putting it on, all I got was this weird plastic smell.

72 1,407
 04-02-2013, 11:41 AM
User Info
I used to be in my teens - owned 100+ after shave splashes from all the designer houses Cool

Now I'm into fragrances in form of Eau de Toilette & Eau de Parfum, so in fact i need to stay with after shave splashes and balms that won't clash with my fragrance of the day.

Yet I still have 8 great AS splashes and 8 great AS balms in my arsenal/den.
I was very close to getting 2-3 DR Harris AS splashes (Arlington, Sandalwood & Marlborough) but they last 3-5 hours on me, so they would intervene with my Fragrance du jour, and while they last 3-5 hours on my skin, that's not quite good enough to replace one of my fragrances, as I need 6-8 hours longevity at least.

But I could definitely be an AS addict - it's simply in my blood Biggrin

22 5,043
 04-02-2013, 02:48 PM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
i've 20-30 a/s's.i like ones that stick around a while,usually use them as a mild cologne.

0 274
 04-02-2013, 03:01 PM
User Info
I don't buy tons of it, but I work at home and even then, I want it on.
Mostly Floids, Proraso, and lately a few samples of Myrsol and Vitos.
Claus, good to know about the D R Harris, I like it to last a good while.

Any other longevity must haves?

31 1,800
 04-02-2013, 08:15 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
(04-02-2013, 03:01 PM)Bowhnter Wrote: I don't buy tons of it, but I work at home and even then, I want it on.
Mostly Floids, Proraso, and lately a few samples of Myrsol and Vitos.
Claus, good to know about the D R Harris, I like it to last a good while.

Any other longevity must haves?

Alt Innsbruck!

45 3,955
 04-03-2013, 05:53 AM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I to am an AA. I'm not into the high dollar stuff as I once was. (House full of kids remedies that). I really like Pinaud products as well as the Aqua Velva line. Also the Barbasol products work very well for the price point... $1.49 @ Dollar General.

I also like to mix em. Pinaud Lime Sec/ Virgin Island BR. I mixed a big bottle of that to keep on my shelf at the ready. It has that Bay/Lime scent that some BR manufactures tout. I made my bottle for around $4. I keep a little metal condiment cup in my nook that I use to mix on the go....I recently wanted an extra menthol kick so I mixed Aqua-Velva blue ice with Barbasol Pacific Rush... Nice and mentholie with the great skin care of AV. The cooling effect lasted for at least an hour... NICE.

Always have loved Clubman and so does Mrs. Sav..

And lets not forget The Krampert's Finest..... THE Bay Rum !!!

5 1,151
 04-03-2013, 06:41 AM
User Info
I'm a recovering aftershave addict. I still have a lot, but since I wear fragrances now, I try to wear only lightly scented ones that will disappear pretty quickly (Speick, Lucido.) I may even shift to Witch Hazel once those are done.

If you only wear aftershave (like I used to), it's a completely different story.

12 1,243