•Razor) Tradere standard bar
•Blade) Gillette 7 O'Clock blacks (2)
•Brush) Simpson PL8 (2-band)
•Cream & Aftershave) W.M. Neumann "Absolute Zero"
-Thayers Original Witch Hazel
-W.M. Neumann & Co. Shaving Mug

Here's my review:

Scent:

The scent is pretty close to Proraso "blue" except with a light menthol and sort of a floral musk scent. W.M. Neumann is known for having complex scents and this one is no different. Overall it kind of reminds me of a cologne scent but I can't quite put my finger on which one. Whatever it is I'm a big fan of it. Great masculine scent.

Lather:

The cream is in a pump bottle and says it can be used with just your hands or with a brush. I used about a walnut quarter sized pump in the mug then put a little pump on the top of my brush and did a face/bowl lather combo. The lather I created with the brush wasn't your typical billowy lather that is usually normal with most creams/soaps. It was sort of a slick creamy lather with a few peaks that lasted the 3 passes with touch ups I performed with no problem. Using painting motions seemed to work best with a brush. Next time I may use it as a brushless cream just to see how it compares. It wasn't the normal lather I'm use to but it provided a slick irritation free shave and it smells great! so no complaints. Couldn't be happier with it.

Here's a couple lather pics:
[Image: 34do369.jpg]

[Image: 2e1bn9f.jpg]

Menthol:
The cooling effect from this cream isn't as strong right off the bat as say QCS "Vostok" or MB "Awakenings" but it had a gradual cooling effect throughout the shave and by my 3rd pass when I lathered up it definitely had that feeling of rubbing a ice cube on my face. Very refreshing! I liked the gradual cooling effect it had and it's definitely a winner in my "Mentholated Soap & Creams" book.

Aftershave:
For those of you that like the up front menthol cooling this aftershave is for you! unlike the gradual cooling build up of the cream this aftershave is a blast of coolness and feels really great on the skin. If you want an extra treat splash on a little extra a few min after the first application, it definitely lives up to the "Absolute Zero" name. The scent is also great and the cooling effect definitely lasted for about 15min or so and the scent lasted about the time as your typical aftershave about 45min or so.

Overall I'm definitely happy with the performance and scent of both the shave cream and the aftershave. Going to be great using them in the warmer months ahead!

Shaving Cream Ingredients:
[Image: 2ihxi7l.jpg]

Aftershave Ingredients:
[Image: 351aikz.jpg]

53 555
 04-02-2013, 10:26 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Thanks for the review. I plan on getting the aftershave splash it sounds nice.

45 3,955
 04-02-2013, 01:22 PM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
The ingredients list on the aftershave splash does look very nice. Would probably make a nice compliment to my QCS Vostok Balm.

13 599
 04-02-2013, 02:33 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Great review and pics ... thanks for posting!

102 17,662
 04-02-2013, 05:13 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
sounds like a winner, but it sounds like you had to use a lot of cream. Even without the shell, a walnut is really big.

10 1,858
 04-02-2013, 07:18 PM
User Info
Very nice review!

75 20,883
 04-03-2013, 01:48 PM
  • GregDR
  • Illinois
User Info
(04-02-2013, 05:13 PM)Songwind Wrote: it sounds like you had to use a lot of cream. Even without the shell, a walnut is really big.

It's just the circumference of a walnut not the volume. It comes out of the bottle in a thin stream so it sounds like more than it actually is. A quarter would of probably been a better description...

53 555