04-02-2013, 10:28 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I'm looking for a Base Plate and Top plate from IKON, but for the life of me I cannot get them to impart what the differences are with each base plate!

I have sent them 3 communiques and each one has a completely ambiguous answer such as "Each base plate provides a completely unique shaving experience." which tells me absolutely nothing. I enjoy my Edwin Jagger DE 86 which is a little more aggressive than a Merkur 23C. Which base plate will give me a slightly more aggressive shave than the EJ DE86? I looked at the OSS base plate and I like that one side is OC and the other side is Closed, but would it be better to get a standard Safety Bar and then add an Open Comb to it later? It is quite a quandry. I also asked what the differences were between the base plates that come in the Power of Five, and got another vague answer. I'm ready to buy, but feel like I'm getting stonewalled...

Any help is appreciated!

68 1,416
 04-02-2013, 10:40 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
The answers you are getting are not vague..each head combo is different and the "power of five" will give you many choices. If you have a Progress you know that you adjust the head to your pleasure and can fine tune it. With the Ikon you have the SB as the most aggressive..perhaps a 3 or 3.5 on the Progress. The OC is like a 2 +/- and the combo plate is milder than both of them.Are they the best razors ever made...depends what you like...function or artistry. Fairly decent combo pac but you can spend less with a Progress and have more choice.

6 1,913
 04-02-2013, 10:56 AM
User Info
I've owned the new 2013 Ikon Standard Bar. For a fairly aggressive razor, it shaves quite smoothly. It is certainly more aggressive than the EJde89. I haven't tried the open comb version, but from what I've read and heard, it's about the same or slightly more aggressive than the EJde89. The Ikon OSS is the mildest of all. If you buy the Power of Five, you are essentially get 3 different razors.

67 349
 04-02-2013, 11:27 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
(04-02-2013, 10:40 AM)Harvey Wrote: The answers you are getting are not vague..each head combo is different and the "power of five" will give you many choices. If you have a Progress you know that you adjust the head to your pleasure and can fine tune it. With the Ikon you have the SB as the most aggressive..perhaps a 3 or 3.5 on the Progress. The OC is like a 2 +/- and the combo plate is milder than both of them.Are they the best razors ever made...depends what you like...function or artistry. Fairly decent combo pac but you can spend less with a Progress and have more choice.

Harvey,

They should hire you. Thank you for the great explanations. I wish they had answered me like you did...clear and concise. Perfectly answered. I have the progress and know what you mean, but since it is adjustable I hardley ever get the same shave twice. I have a good technique and am at the point where a great agressive razor would suit me well, but also like a mild razor from time to time, not to mention an open comb shave. I think I'll buy the Power of Five.

IKON Razors has you to thank for that.

Matt

Thank you.

68 1,416
 04-02-2013, 02:57 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Glad to be of help.....Ikon isn,t known for great communication but the razors are pretty good....that package will give you 3 different choices...Will it cure RAD...probably not but it is a good value.

6 1,913
 04-03-2013, 06:46 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
OSS base plate is mild on both sides.
OC base plate is moderately aggressive.
SB base plate is slightly more aggressive than the OC.

The Power of 5 comes with all 3 base plates.

I love the SB and OC. I sold my OSS.

I have a Mergress, it's a nice razor, but I much prefer the iKon SB and OC.

91 17,821
 04-03-2013, 02:52 PM
User Info
I prefer the SB and OC as well. Both really high quality razors. I would agree with the assessment of aggressiveness stated above.

2 493
 04-04-2013, 04:23 AM
User Info
I would agree that the SB is aggressive - it finally bit me this morning. You can definitely feel the blade as your shaving with this one!

Have the OC incoming, hopefully be a hair tamer. Biggrin

47 1,112
 04-04-2013, 05:55 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
 04-08-2013, 03:57 PM
User Info
I just bought the Ikon SB and I looked like I fought a samurai warrior when I was finished. I compared the blade stance to my EJ8911. The IKON seems to slightly protrude past the gap and the angle of the blade is much greater. The next day my Weber came in and it was so smooth, very pleasant shave. It seems much less aggressive to me using Astra or Feather.

0 1