04-02-2013, 01:13 PM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
I recently added a box these blades to an Amazon order to get the free shipping.I figured they were a pretty safe bet after all of the positive reviews I have read of them.

Riiiight.Not so much.

The day after the package arrived I popped one of these blades into my Gem DE.Lathered up with frankensoap-Derby lemon cream mix and an older Burma boar brush.Away I went...with a good bit of tugging.After 2 passes I had an okay shave.The next day I tried a three pass shave that was slightly better.On a par with a two pass Derby shave not as good as a two pass Wilkinson blade shave.

So far I have used the Astra blades in a Gem DE ,a Superspeed black handle with similar results.Today I tried a three pass shave with a Fatboy adjustable on 9....I had better results.Smooth cheeks,not as good on the chin( a weeper on the chin) and throat areas.After the application of some witch hazel ,the amount of burn was pretty high.

As of now I am not very impressed with these Russian blades.I have a moderately tough beard,maybe these would be appropriate for lighter facial hair.

my 2 cents.YMMV.

0 274
 04-02-2013, 03:13 PM
User Info
I've had much better luck with the Astra Superior Stainless than I have with the Plats. Come to think of it, I'm the same way with Shark blades. Maybe I'm just weird?!

Sent from my iPhone to the interwebs and straight to your brain using Tapatalk

0 53
 04-02-2013, 05:16 PM
User Info
Astra SP's are very razor dependent for me. They're terrible in my 38C, marginal in my superspeeds and lady gillette, but work well in my Tech, 42C, and my Old Type.

0 836
 04-03-2013, 04:31 AM
User Info
Put the AsSPlats away and leave them be for a few months. They should improve over time; and do try different razors when you revisit them. There should be an improvement ...

0 554
 04-03-2013, 06:36 AM
User Info
I like the Astras. They were my go-to blade for a while.

12 1,243
 04-03-2013, 06:52 AM
  • Theido
  • Shave Stick Proponent
  • Colorado
User Info
I like the Astra Plats in my Weber DLC razor.

1 111
 04-03-2013, 07:58 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I like the Astra SP's and do get good results but since moving on to sharper blades, they have taken a back seat.

I find Polsilver SI's, Gillette Silver Blues as well as the 7 O'Clock Black, Blue and Yellow's to be sharper than the Astra's with just as much smoothness if not more and for my beard type. I need the sharper edge for a comfortable shave. You may need it too.

Eric

6 905
 04-04-2013, 10:47 AM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
My first impression of the Astra SP was just like yours.
So I moved on to blades I like more and didn't look back...
until I was getting ready to cull some razors from the flock and
put an Astra SP in a Gillette NEW long-comb. I was amazed at how much I liked the shave and both the razor and blade were moved into the rotation. Long story to say "razor dependant" for me as well. Smile

0 911
 04-07-2013, 07:08 AM
User Info
(04-02-2013, 03:13 PM)24Fanatic Wrote: I've had much better luck with the Astra Superior Stainless than I have with the Plats. Come to think of it, I'm the same way with Shark blades. Maybe I'm just weird?!

I'm actually the same, with both the Astra SS and the Shark.

I find the Astra SS to be a little bit sharper than the SP, it seems to slice through my beard a little better. Slightly rough on the first shave, cut very smoothly though. I'm on the fifth shave on my current one, it will be the last. It's smoothed out a lot, but it's also noticeably dropped off in sharpness after the third shave. Good shaves for the price. Almost always the same as the SP or very close.

It might be worth giving them a try urrlord. I had a great shave with a Fatboy on #7. You might also want to have a look at the Russian Perma-Sharp Super (cheap and pretty sharp, great blade) and the fairly expensive Super Iridium (very sharp, very smooth, good longevity).

0 123
 05-01-2013, 03:23 AM
User Info
I have better luck with the SS than the SP. My face seems to prefer SS over the coated blades.

3 73
 05-02-2013, 02:09 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
(04-02-2013, 05:16 PM)5Savages Wrote: Astra SP's are very razor dependent for me. They're terrible in my 38C, marginal in my superspeeds and lady gillette, but work well in my Tech, 42C, and my Old Type.
Agreed! I get GREAT BBS Shaves with my Lord, 23c or 25c but in almost everything else I get tore up, especially the Matador. Quite the opposite of my Personna 74's. I can shave the Personna's in just about every razor I own with great results! Too bad they are so hard to come by...

68 1,416
 05-02-2013, 05:35 PM
User Info
I've never gotten good shaves with them. I've got a moderately thick very coarse beard FWIW.

10 98
 05-04-2013, 07:31 PM
User Info
They never worked very well for me either, but I received 2 packs from Phil with my Robusto and will give them another go eventually.

0 372
 05-05-2013, 06:40 AM
User Info
I have a very dense beard. I find the Astra SP to be a great blade, smooth and sharp. Get easily 3 to 4 very good shaves and they are economical. The SP and the Polsilver SI are my favorite blades for comfort amd sharpness.

0 113
 05-05-2013, 09:20 PM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
I revisited them.In a gillette adjustable set on 8 they do pretty good(set on 7 or 9--not so good).Still sub par in my Star DE(my favorite razor).Probably will not replace them.

0 274
 05-11-2013, 08:41 AM
User Info
I just had a "dream shave" with an AsSPlat in my Treet Delrin razor. Whipped up überlather with some of Brooklyn Mike's soap and a small dollop of Italian Palmolive SC and found I could not feel the blade in the razor. A perfect BBS result and me with no place in particular to be. Wink

0 554
 05-11-2013, 10:56 AM
User Info
This is one of my favorite blades...gives me close, smooth shaves.

Ed

19 697
 05-12-2013, 02:02 PM
User Info
The great shave I wrote of yesterday with a fresh one was followed by me retiring it after shave #2 today.
Go figure, huh? Huh

0 554
 05-12-2013, 03:30 PM
User Info
Hmmm I would say Astra SP is my 2nd favorite blade behind Lab Blues.

60 1,698
 05-23-2013, 01:03 AM
User Info
I think that maybe if you are getting bad razor burn it may not be the blade but your technique. Maybe, maybe not.

In my experience Astra SP's are the only blade I've tried that work well in every DE razor I own. They are sharper than Walmart Wilkies and they are consistent and uniform.

Maybe try the blades again with a known good combination of soap/razor.

1 283