04-02-2013, 03:50 PM
User Info
Just last week, after reading a post about building lather in a bowl, I figured I'd give it a shot and see what all the hype was about. I found wetshaving over 3 years ago, and have always face lathered. Now I understand! I've never had explosive lather like I've had over the last week! I still face lather when using soaps, but the results I've had after combining Bigelow or Palmolive cream and my little green VDH soap bowl have been impressive, to say the least. I kinda had my eye on a scuttle about 6 months ago, but nixed the idea because I didn't think it would be worth dropping $40 or $50. Now I'm seriously rethinking that decision!

Sent from my iPhone to the interwebs and straight to your brain using Tapatalk

0 53
 04-02-2013, 06:22 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Good thread.

I lather in a bowl because my skin doesn't tolerate on-site lathering, and I quite like the aesthetic of the lathering bowl full of carefully crafted lather. (I only use soap, by the way.)

Do you notice any difference in the shave between face- and bowl-lathering?

- Murray

4 1,150
 04-02-2013, 06:29 PM
User Info
I have noticed a slight difference in the shave between face lathering and bowl lathering. I'm attributing this to the better quality lather when it's built in the bowl.

When building lather in a bowl or scuttle using soap, do I need to add more water to the brush after loading the soap? I don't usually do this before face lathering, but of course my face is already wet before I start lathering. If so, do I need to do that before I start whipping in the bowl or at some point in the middle of the process while building the lather up? Or is this just a case by case/by feel type of thing that I'll develop over time of using a bowl?

0 53
 04-02-2013, 10:03 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
I haven't used a cream in so long that I really couldn't compare it to lathering a soap. It also varies somewhat from one soap to the next. Mystic Water soap, for example, requires more water than many other soaps.

For most of the soaps that I use, I start with the brush well shaken out, and I start loading. At first, the brush seems too dry, but then the soap starts to melt. I pass the brush under a trickle of water occasionally, to keep the brush loading until I have lather forming in the brush. Then I do most of the lather-building in the bowl, adding drips of water along the way.

I use swirling for more lather conditioning and less building, while I use light compression for more lather building and less conditioning. Once I get the lather built to a certain point, I mainly use light compression until the lather in finished. This works much better for me with a truly fan-shaped brush. In fact, I'll no longer bother with a rounded brush.

- Murray

4 1,150
 04-02-2013, 10:13 PM
User Info
I've always found bowl-lathering easier and more fascination to watch... I would always recommend it to someone starting out with traditional wetshaving, since it's easier to control all the variables.

24Fanatic; you'll have to find what works best for you, but what I do is this;
- Place brush to soak in hot water (I'm using my shaving bowl for this)
- Wash face with a good soap, but don't dry off
- Drain shave bowl, build lather
- Apply to still wet face

3 3,580
 04-03-2013, 10:26 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I go back and forth between the two, based on mood, brush and product. By now I get pretty consistent lather either way.

All else being equal, I do find that face lathering gives me a slightly better shave. Probably just because the lather is on my face, softening my whiskers for longer. But for products that I have a tendency to over- or under-hydrate when face lathering, the bowl is essential.

And of course, warm lather from the scuttle on a chilly morning is amazing.

10 1,858
 04-03-2013, 11:25 AM
  • GWHunter
  • Alleged rookie
  • Central Arkansas
User Info
Funny how YMMV. In my 2-3 years of wet shaving I started with bowl lathering and made the switch to face lathering exclusively. I found I could make mounds of lather in a bowl but wasn't always happy with it or the amount of time fiddling. For me the switch to face lathering came about when I realized I could get the lather quality I desired more quickly and easily. My resulting shaves hence are most always better. I've occasionally given bowl lathering a chance but just can't include it in my daily routine.

5 40
 04-03-2013, 11:38 AM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Look at Sharp Spines thread about Ultra-lathering... Ultimate face lather technique that changed my shaves for the better...
Here is the link:
http://shavenook.com/thread-lather-types...tra+lather

5 1,151
 04-03-2013, 12:09 PM
User Info
(04-03-2013, 11:25 AM)GWHunter Wrote: Funny how YMMV. In my 2-3 years of wet shaving I started with bowl lathering and made the switch to face lathering exclusively. I found I could make mounds of lather in a bowl but wasn't always happy with it or the amount of time fiddling. For me the switch to face lathering came about when I realized I could get the lather quality I desired more quickly and easily. My resulting shaves hence are most always better. I've occasionally given bowl lathering a chance but just can't include it in my daily routine.

That's my experience too. Bowl lathering didn't last very long for me once I realized it.

I gave bowl lathering exactly one try since and I didn't like it at all. I missed my face lathering. But different strokes for different folks.

32 6,309
 04-03-2013, 12:13 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
It was the opposite for me, I realized after 6-8 months of using a bowl that face lathering was more enjoyable, less cleanup and clutter in my already small den..and also results in a higher shave quality for me personally, my face just feels better after the shave when face lathering.

So I tossed the bowl...well not really, I keep it around for that once in a blue I feel like a bowl lather.

31 1,510
 04-03-2013, 01:13 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I use a scuttle to help keep my brush/lather warm no matter which way I build lather.

Saying that, I generally face lather hard and soft soaps, and build my lather in the scuttle when using creams, like my Speick Cream in the tube.

Another good way to face lather is to use a shave stick. You would be amazed what kind of lather you can get out of so little soap.

173 23,546
 04-03-2013, 09:27 PM
User Info
I find that I get the lather worked into my face much better through face lathering then bowl lathering because of the progression. By face-lathering, it starts off as a paste being worked into my face then as I add water it gradually reaches the consistency needed for glide and cushion of the shave I want all while being continuously being worked into my beard/skin. With bowl lathering, its not worked into my beard as long or as effectively. Now, 4 years into wetshaving and I am trying to master the art of super-lathering directly on my face rather than in a bowl. I imagine once I master that that it will be a real long time before I bowl lather again!

0 84
 04-04-2013, 05:39 AM
User Info
Yeah, Johnny, I've found that I like the consistency and quality of my soap lather better if I face lather, but the creams have just been off the hook since I started using a bowl for them.

0 53