04-02-2013, 06:27 PM
User Info
http://www.etsy.com/shop/mundus

So, I heard some nice things about Mundus Shave Soap on another board and thought it might be worth checking out. Turns out it was definetely worth it.

I ordered a soap sampler and received 4 samples. The scents were called Addictive, Privilege, Brave and Citrus-Sandlewood. The only differences I was able to ascertain were the scents, the soaps were consistent in every other way.

I won't say much about scents because scents are so subjective. I will say that I preferred the Addictive, followed by Privilege, then the Citrus-Sandlewood and finally the Brave. I would refer you to the website for scent description.

A little more on scents. When the samples arrived, they got the sniff test and failed. I was dissapointed that I couldn't smell anything but soap. However, when the samples were addressed by a damp brush, the scents jumped right out of the puck and were quite obvious. The fragrances lasted throughout the shave but didn't linger or interfere with my after shave/colognes.

This soap lathers wonderfully easy. When I addressed the puck, it didn't take much to produce an abundance of smooth and creamy lather. This soap lathers as well as any soap I've used to date. Also the quality of the lather is terrific. A smooth, creamy, stable lather is easily generated providing plenty of cushion and slickness.

Conclusion - a worthy soap, from an artisan that's got it right. I do believe that this soap will stay in my rotation and will be enjoyed

4 952
 04-02-2013, 06:40 PM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
Nice review! Mundus soaps don't get as much love as they deserve, probably because they're sold on etsy, and a lot of people overlook it for that. I have two of their scents (brave, citrus & sandalwood) and I absolutely love them. The lather is top notch, slick and creamy. Love this stuff. Cool

10 1,120
 04-02-2013, 06:59 PM
User Info
Can anyone post an ingredient list? Thanks!

31 7,912
 04-02-2013, 07:07 PM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
(04-02-2013, 06:59 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Can anyone post an ingredient list? Thanks!
[Image: il_570xN.412648240_2lln.jpg]

Get some, it's awesome! Wink

10 1,120
 04-02-2013, 07:11 PM
User Info
I am a big fan of Mundus soaps. I was wondering about the Addictive scent, so thanks for mentioning how it compared to the others. I think I will order some.

6 230
 04-02-2013, 07:33 PM
User Info
Looks to be tallow based!

15 762
 04-03-2013, 10:22 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I'd love to read how they make that, based on the order of the ingredients list.

They must do a lye/tallow soap separately and add it to a soap made from the other ingredients, maybe?

(The order of ingredients, with sodium salt of tallow, then potassium salts of palm, stearic acid and castor, then sodium/coconut, THEN potassium/tallow, is interesting. It suggests that the tallow was made w/ more lye and less caustic potash, versus the rest which had more potash and less lye.)

10 1,858
 04-03-2013, 04:58 PM
  • clk
  • Louisville, Kentucky
User Info
Mundus is good stuff! It has been in my rotation for the past year, and I cannot say enough good things about it. Always a thick, slick lather, and it leaves my face feeling great. You won't go wrong with this soap.

0 230
 08-07-2013, 03:07 PM
User Info
Mundus is among my favorite soaps. The scents are fantastic and Jennifer is great to deal with.

2 493
 08-07-2013, 07:47 PM
User Info
I always forget about this stuff because it's on Etsy. No longer. Next soap purchase is gonna be one of these.

24 235
 08-14-2013, 11:55 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Another Soap to Add to the List.

1 819
 08-16-2013, 07:22 AM
User Info
So I fell asleep with the computer on my lap in bed and woke up in the middle of the night with the Mundus page open on Etsy.....it was a sign. Bleary eyed, half asleep, I ordered a puck! And by the time I woke up this morning it had been shipped! Just a tad impulsive with the shaving stuff.

0 77
 08-16-2013, 11:38 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Great review, always interested in small artisans and what they make. So many slip under the radar unnoticed.

1 3,507
 08-16-2013, 01:15 PM
User Info
(08-16-2013, 07:22 AM)Cirques Wrote: So I fell asleep with the computer on my lap in bed and woke up in the middle of the night with the Mundus page open on Etsy.....it was a sign. Bleary eyed, half asleep, I ordered a puck! And by the time I woke up this morning it had been shipped! Just a tad impulsive with the shaving stuff.

Thanks for the impulse buy! I saw the order this morning and packaged it up before I went off to work. I hope it will prove that you make your best decisions bleary eyed.

0 6
 08-16-2013, 06:24 PM
User Info
My pleasure!Sleepy

0 77