04-06-2012, 12:27 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: luxury_set.jpg]

I stopped at my local Target (Salt Lake City) and I found this shaving kit but with a boar hair brush instead of the badger one.

The boar brush has a handle like the Vulfix VS 5 but the hair looked more like the Omega boar hair brushes.The hair is also non bleached and don't have the stripe imitating badger hair.[/align]

It comes with a nice bowl,which reminds me of the Muhle/Edwin Jagger ones (in this case the bowl was black) and with a plastic stand,not being the most elegant one,but it can hold a brush and a razor,so it makes it handy.

The soap was the scented one Deluxe version,which I did tried as soon it was launched (bought it in amazon) and gave me nice shaves,even when I didnt care too much for its sweet scent.

The kit cost 19,99 dollars which I think its a great price,since the quality of the items being offered have been increased,if we compared it with the "old" kit.

This is a nice introductory set for men who wants to try wet shaving and don't spend a lot of money of a brush,bowl and soap.

86 7,123
 04-06-2012, 01:34 AM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
I noticed this at my local Target too. I would have no hesitations at all about recommending this for a beginner. Just add a razor and blades and you are ready to go for very little investment

9 541
 04-06-2012, 03:04 AM
User Info
Sounds like a good starter kit and also its price is very tight. The Van der Hagen tried them thanks to you friend. Saying that they are generally very good products.

Thank you very much for the information

0 422
 04-06-2012, 05:18 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Nice. May pick up one just for the bowl alone!

35 2,703
 04-06-2012, 05:44 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Will visit my local Target this afternoon to check this out. Sounds like a good birthday/Christmas gift to me.

173 23,492
 04-06-2012, 06:00 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Thanks for the heads up Teiste and review. Van Der Hagen makes some fairly nice products for a reasonable price.

100 12,438
 04-06-2012, 07:24 AM
User Info
If there was a Target shop around here, I would buy that kit - the bowl alone makes it worth it! Biggrin

2 5,527
 04-06-2012, 08:16 AM
User Info
If I understand this correctly, it's the deluxe soap (nothing wrong there,it's decent soap) with an upgraded bowl and brush with a stand?

If so, sounds like a decent value from a brick and mortar retailer.

32 6,308
 04-06-2012, 10:48 AM
User Info
I think the soap is from their new "Luxury" line, and is 3.5oz, not the pinkish 2.5 oz Deluxe version that you can buy at Walmart for $1.59 per puck.

Odd that it comes with a boar brush. All the Luxury kits with the apothecary type bowls I've seen had a pure badger brush.
They were more than $20 though....

1 77
 04-06-2012, 01:54 PM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
40boy; There is a "Luxury kit" in a very similar orange box that is sold online (for more money) that contains a badger brush. The kit sold at Target definitly comes with a boar brush. That has caused some confusion in the past. The kit comes with a brush-and-razor stand, a puck of their "scented Luxury soap" which our local Target also sold seperatly for around $5 (certainly worth it, in my opinion), the boar brush - mines not broken in yet, but I used it with another soap I keep in a coffee mug, and I noticed just from loading (and banging around) in that smaller mug just one time, the logo decal started to flake off. Not that I mind, because it works well enough, and because I consider it a free gift from Van der Hagen because as Oversaturn said, the apothacary mug in the kit is worth the whole $20 price. I've never seen or handled the Muhle/Edwin Jagger apothacary mug, but it's hard for me to imagine it's that much nicer than this one. I consider the "Deluxe" (green box) kit sold at Wal-mart a great deal, and have recommended it often to potential new wet shavers. Each componant of this kit is even better, for that same money. (And you get the brush/razor stand thrown in) You just can't beat that.

0 270
 04-06-2012, 02:06 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Thanks for the info,Java.
Yes,the mug is really similar (I would even say,the same) than the Edwin Jagger I have seen on a store in Madrid and even was in my hands.
Only for the bowl and the stand,this kit its worthy,but the soap its a decent performer (I have tried it with good results for my dry skin) and the boar brush,if has the Omega boar hair,would be good too.So for 20 bucks you have a more than decent starter kit.

86 7,123
 04-06-2012, 09:16 PM
User Info
Great tip Teiste! I already planned to gift my EJ razor to my teenage son, I will look for this to give him a complete starter kit.

2 43
 04-07-2012, 03:00 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I'll have to poke my head into the local Target, which is just down the hill from where I live. Biggrin

2 11,211
 04-08-2012, 02:44 PM
  • R0B
  • The Netherlands
User Info
To be honest, I've never heard of Van Der Hagen. However, this kit seems good value for money.

0 114
 04-08-2012, 07:37 PM
User Info
For anyone that's used the kit, do the boar bristles split hairs and get soft?

I like that mug.

0 189
 04-08-2012, 10:19 PM
User Info
Nice kit. I even like their basic kit for $10 in a lot of stores

2 697
 04-09-2012, 06:46 AM
  • Java
User Info
(04-08-2012, 07:37 PM)cvac Wrote: For anyone that's used the kit, do the boar bristles split hairs and get soft?

I like that mug.

It's too early for me to tell. I've had the New Forest pass-around box for a week so I haven't been using the VdH, but I'll get back to it again tomorrow. Anybody else know yet?

0 270
 04-09-2012, 11:07 AM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
(04-09-2012, 06:46 AM)Java Wrote:
(04-08-2012, 07:37 PM)cvac Wrote: For anyone that's used the kit, do the boar bristles split hairs and get soft?

I like that mug.

It's too early for me to tell. I've had the New Forest pass-around box for a week so I haven't been using the VdH, but I'll get back to it again tomorrow. Anybody else know yet?

This is just what I've read elsewhere so take it with a grain of salt - but from what I read the boar has clipped hairs which would take a long time to break in. Is there an easy way to see that they're clipped by looking at it?

0 353
 04-10-2012, 06:27 AM
  • Java
User Info
(04-08-2012, 02:44 PM)R0B Wrote: To be honest, I've never heard of Van Der Hagen. However, this kit seems good value for money.

Did anyone else find it slightly amusing that the company name is Van Der Hagen, the company logo is a windmill, but they've never been heard of in the Netherlands? Dodgy

0 270
 04-10-2012, 06:33 AM
  • Leon
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(04-10-2012, 06:27 AM)Java Wrote: Did anyone else find it slightly amusing that the company name is Van Der Hagen, the company logo is a windmill, but they've never been heard of in the Netherlands? Dodgy

Totally!

4 313