04-03-2013, 09:04 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
1st shave with the Shovelhead I bought a couple of weeks ago. I have been getting very close shaves with all the SE's in my collection. Tonite my shave just wasn't as close as I've been getting. That being after I was told the Shovelhead was a fairly aggressive razor. I was expecting a really close shave. Maybe even a bit of blood...lol

After the shave I inspected the razor a bit more closely. I found the blade was not being held all the way up to the blade stops. It was sort of loose in there.

On the inside are a couple of appendages that look as if they are supposed to push the blade forward. Am I correct in assuming that to be the case? If so can I bend them forward just a pinch to put pressure on the spine of the blade and keep it pushed all the way forward?

Your thoughts would be appreciated Thanks....

5 1,151
 04-03-2013, 09:20 PM
User Info
SJR, the shave should be aggressive. I'm guessing that you're having the same problem I had with my ER '14 as described on TOST.

Keep pressure on the center of the spring you describe and bend the spring out to allow the blade to keep pressure on the blade stops. At least that's what I'd do. Go easy. If it breaks you're screwed and I have no idea what it takes to break it.

FWIW, I'nm currently using my ER '24 Shovelhead and the shaves are wonderfully aggressive, not overly aggressive, just comfortably so.

Go easy. You'll do fine.

32 6,311
 04-03-2013, 09:27 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Thanks Brian... I knew you would know something about this. I'll give them a twist tomorrow... Once again thank you sir. I'll post here how it turns out...

5 1,151
 04-03-2013, 10:35 PM
User Info
Looks like Brian's got you straightened out. The ER24 is a nice little razor. Let us know how it works out.

5 938
 04-03-2013, 10:45 PM
User Info
yes, Brian did well.

0 606
 04-05-2013, 07:53 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I adjusted the little "wings" out just a bit and now the blade is held tight against the stops. Thanks everyone. I'm gonna test it some time next week. My new toys arrived...lol Damaskeene and G-Bar. Hope ya'll understand....

5 1,151