• ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I finally sourced a locally made shaving soap
that actually appears promising...

It's hand made in my home state of Western Australia
in the suburb of South Fremantle
which is only about 10km from where I live.

Mokosh
Natural shaving soap
jojoba, apricot kernel and avocado oils

This Organic Shaving Soap is described as...
"made using the most nourishing oils,
and contains bentonite clay to help draw out impurities and to aid razor glide. It is scented with an earthy blend of essential oils,
giving a sensuous, uplifting fragrance."

Ingredients:
Extra virgin olive oil, virgin coconut oil (Fair Trade),
unrefined shea butter (Fair Trade), cocoa butter (Fair Trade) , lye,
jojoba oil, avocado oil, apricot kernel oil, bentonite clay,
essential oils of cedarwood, geranium and patchouli, and rosemary leaf extract.

At $23 AUD for a 100ml tin it is not inexpensive.
However, it is 95% Certified Organic,
not tested on animals and Palm Oil free.

The scent when taken directly from the tin is a little robust,
but not unpleasant.

I will give it a try tomorrow and report back...

Mokosh

91 17,854
 04-04-2013, 05:12 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Keen to see what you make of it, Ben. I tried Corrynne's an didn't think a lot of it. Made down in Dunsborough. If I can support a local shaving soap maker then I will try it.

0 1,625
 04-04-2013, 08:59 AM
User Info
Ben, great find and i hope it works out for you.
You do know there is another veggie soap in Australia called Otoko. It is actually a fine soap:

http://www.otoko.com.au/

75 20,883
 04-04-2013, 09:07 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I tried the Otoko and did not like it. I think I got a bad batch.

Looking forward to your review on the local product Ben.

173 23,546
 04-04-2013, 09:23 AM
User Info
I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions of it, Ben. Now if it just had organic tallow....

184 12,003
 04-04-2013, 11:30 AM
  • RobE
  • NY USA
User Info
I recently discovered an artisan shaving soap puck that promises me a nice scent (coconut vanilla). The ingredients list saponified olive oil as the first in the mix. Not being the most knowledgeable fellow about these things, I read up a bit more, and discovered that this probably won't be a soap that lathers well (because of the olive oil)... I bought it anyway. I know it'll be slick if anything and if I can't shave well with it, I think I can bathe well with it. Smile Whatever the case Ben, good luck with the Mokosh.

17 290
 04-04-2013, 10:19 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I test lathered with this product 3 times today.

For my first attempt I used a damp badger and loaded for a full 30 seconds. This is much longer than usual for me, but I was using a low grade brush and the soap seemed to require extra coaxing onto the brush.

Despite the longer load (and subsequent more product) I was filled with promise. The lather quickly started to take shape. I was presented with thick cream that felt moisturising on the hand, but not ready to shave with yet.

I went to add more water, but waited a moment or two. I noticed the lather was already starting to break down.

I added water and it turned into useless foam. Perhaps the additional water was too generously added, what was certain is that this soap is fussier than any I've used previously.

I made two more attempts at lathering before I gave up. Both resulted in airy foam as opposed to a thick but usable protective lather.

I'm sure with more patience and the correct ratio of product and water this would produce a usable lather, but with so much product stashed away I'm not motivated to persist.

Instead, I shaved with Cella this morning!

91 17,854
 04-04-2013, 11:09 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
That sucks Ben! But you've tried and you have one or two backup plans Wink

88 4,233
 04-05-2013, 12:17 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I'm sure it will make a fine bath soap...

91 17,854
 04-05-2013, 01:39 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Pity. Not sure why they just can't get it right. I wonder if the makers themselves use it.

0 1,625
 04-05-2013, 03:09 AM
User Info
(04-05-2013, 01:39 AM)Shaun Wrote: Pity. Not sure why they just can't get it right. I wonder if the makers themselves use it.

Don't trust a skinny chef nor a bearded shave soap maker, huh?! Tongue

31 7,914
 04-05-2013, 05:30 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Both olive and coconut soaps make a bubbly, voluminous lather. They must be counting on the clay to get the job done.

I bit it feels great on the skin, though.

10 1,858
 04-09-2013, 05:36 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Yes it does Eric!

91 17,854
 12-29-2013, 06:13 AM
User Info
Hi, just discovered this forum and post.

I'm onto my second tin of the Mokosh and very happy with it. I'd agree with Ben that the lather is not generally as thick as other soaps but with a bit of experimentation you can get a nice and effective lather going. It feels good on the skin and the main advantage in my view is that it is all-natural.

I'm shaving with badger brush, Muhle r106 closed comb and (usually) Gillette Silver Blue blades

0 1
 12-30-2013, 12:38 PM
User Info
I've never yet seen a shaving soap that had saponified olive oil as the number one ingredient that made a stable lather.

1 1,106
 12-31-2013, 09:04 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(12-30-2013, 12:38 PM)kingfisher Wrote: I've never yet seen a shaving soap that had saponified olive oil as the number one ingredient that made a stable lather.

Bingo! As soon as I read the ingredients my hopes were dashed. I have used soaps with olive oil as a supporting ingredient that lathered well, but anytime I see it as the first, second or even third ingredient (depending on the quantity of ingredients) I pretty much know what to expect and it isn't good. Sad

127 2,390
 01-01-2014, 04:51 PM
User Info
Ben it will make a good bath soap but as far as shave soap, not so much. I heard from many gents trying artisan soapmakers who think if they can make bath soap then it will make a fine shave soap. Gents have reported any shave soap with the first ingredient listed as olive oil, it doesn't work. Hope you didn't spend much on it. It's good to try artisan soaps after all Stirling and HTGM Synergy all were and are small artisans who are now highly regarded.

0 32