04-04-2013, 05:50 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I have bought and sold Feather Stainless once before, couldn't get a decent shave out of it. I got guilted into trying it again, blaming my inability to find the right angle. Well, I bought it AGAIN, I have tried it AGAIN. What angle? There is no angle on it that can shave (YMMV of course) Angry
I love how it looks and feels in hand. Out of all stainless razors out there, this is THE one for me aesthetically, but if I can't get a shave out of it, how it looks and feels means nothing.
I remember reading somewhere about modifying the plate or using some other plate. Did I dream it? Can this razor be made more aggressive?

88 4,233
 04-04-2013, 06:00 PM
User Info
Only way that I saw was to shim the blade....

Place the reduced blade under the 'full' blade and it will increase the angle.

5 410
 04-04-2013, 06:03 PM
User Info
Yes, with a shim or two. Trim a razor blade by removing with scissors the sharp two edges then place that between the blade you use and the base plate. Also interchangeable with the new Ikon base plates either OC, SB, or OSS. Just use the Ikon plates with the Feather cap and handle. Works great.

51 304
 04-04-2013, 06:07 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(04-04-2013, 06:03 PM)zeppelinkarte Wrote: Yes, with a shim or two. Trim a razor blade by removing with scissors the sharp two edges then place that between the blade you use and the base plate. Also interchangeable with the new Ikon base plates either OC, SB, or OSS. Just use the Ikon plates with the Feather cap and handle. Works great.

I know that shimming is not a big deal but it's a PITA for me. Are all those iKon models have the same plate? How aggressive will it make it? New iKon SB is too aggressive for me.

88 4,233
 04-04-2013, 06:18 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Firstly, I love the iKon SB.

Secondly, I used my Feather D1 for this morning's shave and was pleasantly surprised. It had sat unused for around 2 years or more as I thought it too mild. Well, after 2 passes (WTG and ATG) and touch ups I was pleased with the result.

So, with all the reports of this razor not removing stubble I wonder if certain batches were better than others?

91 17,851
 04-04-2013, 06:21 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(04-04-2013, 06:18 PM)ben74 Wrote: Firstly, I love the iKon SB.

Secondly, I used my Feather D1 for this morning's shave and was pleasantly surprised. It had sat unused for around 2 years or more as I thought it too mild. Well, after 2 passes (WTG and ATG) and touch ups I was pleased with the result.

So, with all the reports of this razor not removing stubble I wonder if certain batches were better than others?

I did think that too, but I get the same results with 2 year old razor and 1 year old razor. When did you get yours?

88 4,233
 04-04-2013, 06:30 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
2010, I think...

91 17,851
 04-04-2013, 07:59 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Too many ifs and buts for my liking. I'll never bother with the razor again, or the expense. Pity, as it looks great, but..bottom line and all...does it shave ok? The answer seems ambiguous at best, and depends on who you talk to, and this is well beyond the YMMV factor it seems. Some are good, some appear to be complete rubbish. I want near-universal acclaim when it comes to an expensive tool, not ummms and ahhhs, have I got it on the right angle, I need to shim, I must be out of practice, etc. I get a far better shave from a c.1940 British Fat Handle Tech, and a no-fuss shave at that. I don't have to want to like it; I just like it. Cost? $15...and they are still a great looking object. But, it's your money, your hobby Smile

0 1,625
 04-04-2013, 08:28 PM
  • RobE
  • NY USA
User Info
Oh come on... it's a mild one, but you can do BBS... you just have to find the angle of no angle. The AS-D1 is my go to, but I confess to sometimes using an iKon OC baseplate... just for the sake of something different... or a Merkur slant, but I loves my Feather SS. Smile

17 290
 04-04-2013, 08:45 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(04-04-2013, 08:28 PM)RobE Wrote: Oh come on... it's a mild one, but you can do BBS... you just have to find the angle of no angle. The AS-D1 is my go to, but I confess to sometimes using an iKon OC baseplate... just for the sake of something different... or a Merkur slant, but I loves my Feather SS. Smile

Some do, some don't. You may have got a good one. There appear to have been some poor production issues with some batches, so I read. If so, it's just not good enough considering the price. Glad you managed to get a decent one and a decent shave. Mine was complete and utter rubbish.

0 1,625
 04-04-2013, 08:54 PM
User Info
I know that shimming is not a big deal but it's a PITA for me. Are all those iKon models have the same plate? How aggressive will it make it? New iKon SB is too aggressive for me.

All you have to do is make the shim once. Dry it and keep it. How hard is that? Ikon has 3 base plates OC, SB, OSS. The OC and OSS are great for me and the SB too aggressive. The Feather is a very versatile razor.

51 304
 04-04-2013, 08:59 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(04-04-2013, 08:54 PM)zeppelinkarte Wrote: I know that shimming is not a big deal but it's a PITA for me. Are all those iKon models have the same plate? How aggressive will it make it? New iKon SB is too aggressive for me.

All you have to do is make the shim once. Dry it and keep it. How hard is that? Ikon has 3 base plates OC, SB, OSS. The OC and OSS are great for me and the SB too aggressive. The Feather is a very versatile razor.

It's not how hard, it's how $200 razor needs half assed fix to make it work. Getting a new plate seems cleaner, maybe I will do that or sell it again Rolleyes

(04-04-2013, 08:28 PM)RobE Wrote: Oh come on... it's a mild one, but you can do BBS... you just have to find the angle of no angle. The AS-D1 is my go to, but I confess to sometimes using an iKon OC baseplate... just for the sake of something different... or a Merkur slant, but I loves my Feather SS. Smile

Oh come on... I have heard it at least 25 times from 30 people that like Feather. So, you get a nice shave with it, that's great! But most don't, that is why the same razor goes back and forth on BST at least once a week.

88 4,233
 04-04-2013, 11:34 PM
User Info
There have definitely been issues with the asd1 base plate. Swap it out for an ikon oc base plate and your shaves will improve 100%.

0 199
 04-05-2013, 09:10 AM
User Info
Steve, i had the same issue as you, but i tried it the second time not out of guilt, but out of curiosity that i had not done something correctly or that it was from a bad batch. The second time was almost one year after trying the first one so my technique was not the issue. Regardless, i still could not get a decent shave. i would have to do four passes to get a somewhat decent shave while applying quite a bit of pressure.
i gave up after one week.
It is great that a few gents love theirs, but i would just let it go, or try the new AS-D2.
Good luck, my friend.

75 20,883
 04-05-2013, 09:15 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Nah, that's it for me. Too much work and not enough pleasure. Had a crappy shave this morning, selling it (again)...
On the plus side, I get to have another shave tonight! I am salivating just thinking about how great it would be using my DLC Biggrin

88 4,233
 04-05-2013, 10:47 AM
User Info
Hee hee! Ah, the wonderful DLC!
Well, enjoy your shave, tonight, Steve!Biggrin

75 20,883
 04-06-2013, 02:19 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
Razor, blade and face have to be considered when selecting a DE shave tool. After reading hundreds of posts on razors and having tried several kinds myself, it seems to me that one has to first learn what works for themselves and then compare that to what is being recommended and by whom.

Shaun said "I want near-universal acclaim…". I don't believe there is any such thing. There are razors that get a lot of praise, but I am willing to bet the shavers are dealing with similar shaving challenges for which the razor works.

For example, I don't have smooth skin, my skin is sensitive but my beard is like wire. I started with a 34HD then got a EJ 89 then a Weber DLC, then a Futur, then a slant, but I could not get a comfortable shave from any of them (lots of blood and razor burn). I finally tried a Progress and I loved it. If I have a couple of days growth I start at 2, otherwise I shave my face on 1.5 and my neck on 1. After that, I looked for mild razors. I tried the Merkur OC, the Feather AS-1, iKon OSS base plate and an Old Type and a 40s Tech. They all work for me.

I sold the 34HD, EJ 89, Weber DLC, Futur and slant. Now I look for the description of the razor as mild, I don't consider aggressive razors at all, regardless of how much praise they get. They won't work for me. Just as in blades, I only use the sharpest I can find. Why, the Astras, Persona's, Merkur, Treet, Shark, Gillette Yellow and many, many more tug and pull and maybe I get one lousy shave from the blade. Yet they all have a following and are often praised by many.

The point is, if you are happy using a 34HD, EJ 89, Futur, Muhle, Above the Tie, aggressive OC, etc. why try mild razors and then critique them for not shaving well? My take on a Cobra or R41 is basically useless to anyone who can benefit from their design. What purpose would it server to go to a thread on the Cobra and complain it's a poor razor because I cannot get a good shave with it?

If one razor design worked well for everyone, there would be only one kind of razor. It's like going to a thread where vanilla ice cream is being discussed and critiquing it for not being chocolate or strawberry. Just saying...

16 545
 04-06-2013, 02:34 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Very well put... I agree, it's just gets me frustrated that I cannot use a tool that is so appealing to me.

88 4,233
 04-06-2013, 02:39 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
If it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you.

I like mild razors, so I was a candidate more likely to benefit from the AS-D1 when it came out. I got one of the first ones, when they were still priced at $169.00.

I always found it an especially effective razor for such a mild one. My only complaint was that it seemed to clog up with lather quickly. When I use a mild razor, such as a Tech, AS-D1, or second-generation iKon three-piece with safety bars, I make a wetter lather and apply it fairly thinly. With such razors, I seek a slick lather with only minimal cushion. This allows for a much easier cut and it doesn't clog up the razor.

- Murray

4 1,150
 04-06-2013, 04:02 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Of all the posts re the AS-D1 there seems always to be strong difference of opinion. When I say 'universal' I was being tongue in cheek. I didn't mean universally acclaimed but universal in terms of its characteristics. So many people find these expensive shavers to be next to useless on their faces. I was one of those people. Some find them good, but you only sometimes see anyone rave about how good they are (for them). A lot of people talk about how perfectly ordinary they are, technique, angle, clogging, etc aside. I personally don't find the price warranted. They look good, but for me they are a razor that's all style, no substance. They may not be for you, they may shave you brilliantly, but my experiences are my experiences, and I post them. As for mild razor, yes I like them too, and they form part of my rotation. The AS-D1, though, was for me a disappointment. Plus there are claims they vary from batch to batch. If true, and I wouldn't know, perhaps I got one of the really bad ones. The one I had wouldn't shave the fuzz of a peach.

0 1,625