04-06-2013, 11:20 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
The Cobra pass-around box came to my house Thursday evening, and I shaved with it this morning.

This is a really nice razor. It's a very solid piece of equipment with a comfortable handle and a beautiful finish. The moving pieces all move smoothly and fasten down securely.

Putting in the blade was a bit clumsy. If it were an injector style, it would be easy. If the blade box didn't have an injector "key" you could just lay it into the blade holder like the American Safety Razor blade boxes and a DE. As neither is the case, I had to take the blade out of the box in my hand, and lay it in place. Didn't come close to cutting myself, though.

The shave was smooth and comfortable. I didn't push it on my ATG pass, or do any touch-ups, since it's a new razor. That said, there was no blood and only a tiny bit of razor burn. The razor felt nice on my face.

The only possible downside is that the wide head is a waste for me. Despite the wide head, only about 1" rested on my face at a time.

I'll shave again once with the Kai blade, maybe twice, before switching to the Feathers.

Razor: Classic Cobra
Blade: Kai Mild (1)
Brush: EverReady C40 w/ TGN Super Silvertip
Soap: Provence Sante Verlain
Aftershave: Krampert's Finest Bay Rum

[Image: nY747Z1l.jpg]

10 1,858
 04-06-2013, 01:18 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Thanks for the review Eric.

173 23,490
 04-06-2013, 05:09 PM
User Info
Eric,
Congratulations on the shave. It is a fantastic razor and once you become comfortable with it, it can really give you a close shave, especially, with those Feathers. Good luck.

75 20,883
 04-08-2013, 07:58 AM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Shave #2 with the Cobra was just as impressive as the first. I went for a two pass shave (WTG/ATG), and got a close, comfortable result. The "injector" configuration and the weight of the razor really work well together. Still with the Kai blade.

To paraphrase Pulp Fiction, that's a pretty *#$%in' good razor. I don't know if it's worth $170, but it's pretty *#$%in' good.

10 1,858
 04-08-2013, 08:39 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Eric, thanks for posting your candid thoughts on the Cobra.

Pulp Fiction ... classic Tarantino! Biggrin

102 17,662
 04-08-2013, 08:41 AM
User Info
Eric, your soap presentation reminds me of the fancy MdC ones. Very nice.

Oh yeah, and the Cobra shaves pretty swell too! Winky Enjoy!

31 7,912
 04-08-2013, 11:42 AM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(04-08-2013, 08:41 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Eric, your soap presentation reminds me of the fancy MdC ones. Very nice.

Oh yeah, and the Cobra shaves pretty swell too! Winky Enjoy!

It's a glass dessert cup that came from a creme brulee from our upscale grocery store. Fit the PS puck perfectly, and the lobes around the rim make it really easy to hang on to.

10 1,858
 04-09-2013, 09:32 AM
User Info
I gave the cobra a rest for a while. I picked it up again this week with fresh Kai mild blade. The first shave was a wee-bit rough, could have been the blade or me getting used to it again. The second shave was a very smooth bbs. 13 hours later my face just starts to show signs of shadow.
I want to see how many shaves I can get with this blade and contrary to my habit, I am going to use it without rotation for the next week or so, even though a shipment from WestCoastShaving arrived yesterday with new DE blades I had my mind on trying out (Iridiums and Gillette blues).

6 808
 04-10-2013, 02:11 PM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Tried the Feather blade this morning. I went with a WTG/XTG shave since I didn't have a lot of time, and it wasn't a shower morning.

Another great shave.

My uncertainty about the price is fading. This is bad. Smile

10 1,858
 04-10-2013, 02:19 PM
User Info
(04-09-2013, 09:32 AM)Galhatz Wrote: I gave the cobra a rest for a while. I picked it up again this week with fresh Kai mild blade. The first shave was a wee-bit rough, could have been the blade or me getting used to it again. The second shave was a very smooth bbs. 13 hours later my face just starts to show signs of shadow.
I want to see how many shaves I can get with this blade and contrary to my habit, I am going to use it without rotation for the next week or so, even though a shipment from WestCoastShaving arrived yesterday with new DE blades I had my mind on trying out (Iridiums and Gillette blues).

I got 19 great shaves from a Feather Professional blade in the Cobra. Most blades last me about 12-15 though.

(04-10-2013, 02:11 PM)Songwind Wrote: Tried the Feather blade this morning. I went with a WTG/XTG shave since I didn't have a lot of time, and it wasn't a shower morning.

Another great shave.

My uncertainty about the price is fading. This is bad. Smile

I'm looking forward to hearing a bit more about your thoughts comparing the Kai Mild and the Feather blades. Which Feather blade was it; Pro, Guard, etc?

31 7,912
 04-10-2013, 02:21 PM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(04-10-2013, 02:19 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I'm looking forward to hearing a bit more about your thoughts comparing the Kai Mild and the Feather blades. Which Feather blade was it; Pro, Guard, etc?

Pro. I took it easy, since Feathers are rightfully known to be very sharp, but it was another easy shave. I could feel that it was sharper, but no blood or razor burn. I'll do an ATG pass in the morning.

10 1,858
 04-11-2013, 05:35 AM
User Info
It was the combination of closeness and comfort that sold me on the Cobra (I use Feather Pro blades). I have other similarly aggressive razors, but they are all slightly irritating when I use a sharp blade (Feather or Super Iridium).

66 692
 04-11-2013, 01:19 PM
User Info
Still waiting for my turn on the Cobra Classic tour, so I cannot say one way or the other regarding the Cobra's shave.

Classic Shaving said they would be in stock in March, then late March, then April. Still waiting. Has anyone else heard anything?

I am ready to post my views of the Cobra in a couple of weeks.

3 244
 04-12-2013, 05:54 AM
User Info
I spoke to someone at Classic Shaving yesterday and they told me they expect the Cobras to come in any day.

15 762
 04-12-2013, 07:47 AM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Had my last shave with the Cobra last night, and did a full routine with the Feather blade. It's probably a bit more aggressive than is necessary for me. I got a small weeper, and a bit of razor burn, but a great shave all things considered. If (when?) I get one, I'll probably use a milder blade.

It's a great piece of equipment. I liked it pretty well the first day, and my enjoyment has grown ever since. Definitely worth owning, and it's gone on the wishlist.

I'll clean it up after work and try to get it in the mail tomorrow.

[Image: tzbAwL9.jpg]

10 1,858
 04-20-2013, 05:29 AM
User Info
Did you have a chance to ship the Cobra yet?

3 244
 04-20-2013, 05:44 AM
User Info
(04-20-2013, 05:29 AM)lamewing Wrote: Did you have a chance to ship the Cobra yet?

Yes, I received the cobra yesterday and had a chance to shave with it using the milder blade. I found the shave to be okay, I wasn't quite comfortable with the size of the cobra's head. I did two passes with the cobra (WTG and XTG), and did not feel up to trying ATG. I finished up the shave with my EJ DE89 + Goliath combo. I have to say thus far I much prefer my current de89+goliath combo, but then again this is what I'm used to. I'll post more thoughts once I've shaved again.

15 222
 04-20-2013, 07:10 PM
User Info
@reyrascon - Don't send the Cobra to me. I went ahead and bought the razor, so send it to whomever is after me. Thanks.

lamewing

3 244
 04-24-2013, 08:44 AM
User Info
The cobra is on to the next recipient. While the cobra is a beautiful instrument, it is not for me. In the end I was not able to get along with the larger head.

I am very grateful to Michael for his tremendous generosity!!!

15 222