04-06-2013, 08:55 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
The bidding was hot and heavy on the old e-bay. Up for grabs: a mint Gem 1912 Damaskeene. She was so shiny and beautiful I had to have her. @ 30 seconds I upped my bid $5 and 5 seconds later I was bested by $5.. Not wanting to lose her I upped my bid $10 with 5 seconds left and then it was over... With shipping I paid a little less than a General Grant but I had won the sweet silver beauty and I was happy... It arrived on Thursday and I have often been looking at her classic SE lines, waiting to take her for a spin...

Tonight I finally had my chance. I did my usual prep and Ultra-lathered an unknown soap I bought at a yard sale a few months ago. I have had great results with this soap in the past and today was no different. I got mountains of soft, slick lather and as I completed my Ultra-lather and picked up the Damaskeene I felt the karma of using a razor that was made before my father was born... I wondered just who may have shaved with this Gem. All I knew was it was now my turn.

The razor met my ready face with a song as it cut through my 3 day beard. The balance is just right as I made my way through my 1st pass. As I lightly rinsed I felt my beard was taken down a good amount and so far I was happy. I re lathered and did my ATG pass. The razor cut down the remaining whiskers with ease and all I needed were a few minor touch-ups. As I faceturbated all that is left is BBS smooth skin. I had only one little nick next to my handlebar where I caught myself with a side motion trying to get under the tip of my moustache. MY BAD...

I finished with a splash of witch hazel and a good couple of shots of Pinnaud Clubman which I had decanted into a very old E.D.Pinnaud bottle I found at an antique store this past week...

Nostalgia aside the Damaskeene is one great razor. Even though I have been getting a bit spoiled in my Single Edge odyssey, this razor is SUPERB. I have to agree whole heartedly with Brian Krampert when he says Gillette won the battle thru better marketing. NOT because he was selling a better product.

So yes I did pay a pretty penny for my Damaskeene but it was worth every penny. I guarantee it will serve me well as long as I have the strength to bring it to my face. The designers of this and most all SE's had an edge up as far as comfort and smoothness. I will even add craftsmanship too... And remember all the SE's ever made are ALL that will ever be......

Do yourself a favor and come over to THE SHARP SIDE !!!! Happy Shaves !!!

My favorite Bass and my favorite Razor...
[Image: 14p7ba.jpg]

5 1,151
 04-06-2013, 08:59 PM
User Info
 04-06-2013, 09:24 PM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Nice little write up there Joe. I've never tried one of those, maybe someday.

It appears to be resting nicely on your Fender.Smile

173 23,287
 04-06-2013, 09:28 PM
User Info
Nice tale!

Yup, it's a nice razor. Mine doesn't get near the recognition that it deserves.

32 6,301
 04-07-2013, 06:42 AM
User Info
Sure is a looker! Glad to hear that it performs well, also.

3 69
 04-07-2013, 06:54 AM
User Info
Beautiful razor and congratulations on your win.

98 12,353
 04-07-2013, 07:21 AM
User Info
Beautiful razor and congratulations on your win,savagejoerude...
I must pull my Damascene out for some sweet ride...Biggrin

0 218
 04-07-2013, 11:10 AM
User Info
Good deal,shave on Exclamation

7 414
 04-07-2013, 11:20 AM
User Info
It seems you got a good deal on a great SE, congrats! Oh ...Who Dat!

63 2,125
 04-07-2013, 01:25 PM
User Info
Congratulations and enjoy the SE!

74 20,783