04-07-2013, 01:15 AM
User Info
Right now my favorite blade is a Feather. They work great for a couple days then seem to not be so good. I don't know if I am expecting too much from them or what. I'm 59, so I now longer have a boy beard, but I like to have a clean shave, and shave everyday.

I've tried Merkers, Derbies and Astras and don't like any of them. Based on searches of the forums it looks like I might be happy with Personna lab blues. Any other suggestions based on what I've said here?

I know how personal all this stuff is, and you really need to try stuff to know if you like it, but I'm trying to focus in on some options rather than buy them all. Please don't suggest sample packs, they look like they're half full of stuff I've already tried and not liked anyway.

Thanks for any suggestions, or encouragement to try the Personna labs. The only ones that look like anything I would be interested in would be Personna med preps, reds or the Israelis. But who knows. I've read the lab blues and med prep are the same, but the med preps are processed further for sterilization. The labs are certainly a lot better price.

0 33
 04-07-2013, 01:47 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Personally I like the Feathers as they give me at least 6 shaves before I put another one in. Not that many blades can get me that number of shaves. The Gillette Blues are also really good blades. I tried the Med blades for the first time last week and they seem to be very good.

I've tried some sample packs but most of the blades are mediocre for me.

27 1,294
 04-07-2013, 02:39 AM
  • Elbe
  • Wolfsburg, Germany
User Info
I completely agree with your estimation of the Feathers. I find them to be the most overhyped blades. Not bad, really sharp for just two shaves, but not smooth and absolutely no stamina. For what they offer they are way overpriced.

But then, blades are the classic YMMV thing.

After trying dozens of blades I came to the conclusion, that blades from Gillette suit me best: The blue 7 o'clock Platinum and Silver Blue from St.Petersburg. And of course the Iridium Super or Polsilver from the St.Petersburg plant. The two indian Gillettes, that's the green perma sharp and the black 7 o'clock Platinum.

All of them are really sharp, give a smooth and effective shave and have a lot of stamina (6 to 7 shaves without noticeable deterioration).

Apart from that I suggest two russian blades from Moscow: Ladas and Voskhod.

0 229
 04-07-2013, 03:00 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
+1 on the Gillette Blues with the slight edge on the 7 O'Clock Blues over the Silver Blues. I am not so enthusiastic about the Yellows, Black Ninjas or the Greens.

An underrated blade is the (Thai) Gillette Super Thin. I am very impressed with these blades and find them superb in a Tech, Fat Handle, Slim Handle, Ball-end, Fat Boy, Slim Adjustable, etc. I have to try them in the 2013R41.

I also find Polsilver browns a really, really good blade.

Red Personnas? Never liked them. Blue Personnas, ditto.

Feathers? Three shaves then...well let's just say they have brittle personalities.

Don't mind a nice new Astra at times. I use them if I feel my face needs a bit of a rest. The seems to last well, too.

0 1,622
 04-07-2013, 03:06 AM
User Info
(04-07-2013, 02:39 AM)Elbe Wrote: I completely agree with your estimation of the Feathers. I find them to be the most overhyped blades. Not bad, really sharp for just two shaves, but not smooth and absolutely no stamina. For what they offer they are way overpriced.

But then, blades are the classic YMMV thing.

After trying dozens of blades I came to the conclusion, that blades from Gillette suit me best: The blue 7 o'clock Platinum and Silver Blue from St.Petersburg. And of course the Iridium Super or Polsilver from the St.Petersburg plant. The two indian Gillettes, that's the green perma sharp and the black 7 o'clock Platinum.

All of them are really sharp, give a smooth and effective shave and have a lot of stamina (6 to 7 shaves without noticeable deterioration).

Apart from that I suggest two russian blades from Moscow: Ladas and Voskhod.

Yes, blades are quintessentially ymmv. Hmmm, this is not the first time I have had a good recommendation to try the Super Blues, Iridium Supers or Polsilver. Sounds like they are all worth checking out. Thanks!

(04-07-2013, 03:00 AM)Shaun Wrote: +1 on the Gillette Blues with the slight edge on the 7 O'Clock Blues over the Silver Blues. I am not so enthusiastic about the Yellows, Black Ninjas or the Greens.

An underrated blade is the (Thai) Gillette Super Thin. I am very impressed with these blades and find them superb in a Tech, Fat Handle, Slim Handle, Ball-end, Fat Boy, Slim Adjustable, etc. I have to try them in the 2013R41.

I also find Polsilver browns a really, really good blade.

Red Personnas? Never liked them. Blue Personnas, ditto.

Feathers? Three shaves then...well let's just say they have brittle personalities.

Don't mind a nice new Astra at times. I use them if I feel my face needs a bit of a rest. The seems to last well, too.

The consensus I'm finding is that with the Feathers, the sharpness comes at a cost so to say, which only makes sense to me. Sharpness = "fine-ness" = a higher degree of fragility. Guess you need to strop 'em if you really want to keep them around longer.

Thanks for the feedback, some Gillette blues or Polsilvers are looking like the ticket now.

0 33
 04-07-2013, 05:02 AM
User Info
(04-07-2013, 03:06 AM)paulmasson Wrote: The consensus I'm finding is that with the Feathers, the sharpness comes at a cost so to say, which only makes sense to me. Sharpness = "fine-ness" = a higher degree of fragility. Guess you need to strop 'em if you really want to keep them around longer.

Yes, extremely YMMV. I do not strop Feathers and get anywhere from 5 to 7 shaves (each 3 passes plus touch up) with a single blade.

24 212
 04-07-2013, 05:12 AM
User Info
Try the Permasharp Supers.

They are a step down from Feathers or Kai, but in my opinion are definitely sharper than many of the others mentioned.

18 567
 04-07-2013, 05:34 AM
User Info
I love Personna Lab Blues as I find them sharp, smooth with decent longecity. I also like the BiC which are very sharp indeed if not quite at Feather level and these have very good longevity for me at 5 shaves. I fancy trying the Permasharps that Dale recommends as I've heard a lot of good things about them but another Russian blade that I find really good and sharp is the Sputnik from PPI. Voskhod's have been mentioned and I do like them but not as much as the Rapira Swedish Super Steel.

I've only been doing this since last August and don't have the wealth of experience of a lot of the guys on here so you might want to temper my opinions accordingly.

If I had just one blade it would be the Personna Lab Blue.

Welcome to the biggest YMMV aspect of DE shaving!

1 253
 04-07-2013, 06:13 AM
User Info
(04-07-2013, 05:34 AM)Gairdner Wrote: I love Personna Lab Blues as I find them sharp, smooth with decent longecity. I also like the BiC which are very sharp indeed if not quite at Feather level and these have very good longevity for me at 5 shaves. I fancy trying the Permasharps that Dale recommends as I've heard a lot of good things about them but another Russian blade that I find really good and sharp is the Sputnik from PPI. Voskhod's have been mentioned and I do like them but not as much as the Rapira Swedish Super Steel.

I've only been doing this since last August and don't have the wealth of experience of a lot of the guys on here so you might want to temper my opinions accordingly.

If I had just one blade it would be the Personna Lab Blue.

Welcome to the biggest YMMV aspect of DE shaving!

Ha ha ha! You know it!

You certainly have enough experience to say what you said.

I did pull the trigger on some lab blues this am. They're pretty highly rated in the review mentioned in this thread:
http://shavenook.com/thread-de-blade-challenge-ii

The review can be found here:
https://sites.google.com/site/gdcarringt...allenge-ii

They seem like a great value. Might as well start with that and work up in price. I will get them later this week, and will post thoughts.

Still open to suggestions/recommendations. Thanks everyone.

0 33
 04-07-2013, 06:31 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Polsilver Super Iridium ... sharp, smooth, and durable.

Biggrin

102 17,664
 04-07-2013, 07:17 AM
User Info
(04-07-2013, 03:00 AM)Shaun Wrote: I also find Polsilver browns a really, really good blade.

I agree with this, but they seem to have disappeared everywhere. I have a load of Polsilver Super Iridium's and Super Iridiums, but only about 20-30 of the Browns. They're as good as the Polsilver Super Iridium but were half the price and lasted one or two shaves less. I wish I bought 100 now.

(04-07-2013, 05:12 AM)PanChango Wrote: Try the Permasharp Supers.

They are a step down from Feathers or Kai, but in my opinion are definitely sharper than many of the others mentioned.

The Russian Perma-Sharp Super is a great blade, and slightly sharper than both the Polsilver Super Iridium and original Super Iridium. It doesn't match either of them for smoothness or longevity, but it cuts extremely sharp and smooth.

The Personna Lab Blue is nice too, very smooth and slightly less sharp than any of the Super Iridium blades. A step up in sharpness from the Astra or Derby too. Many people like the Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow and regard it as being pretty sharp, but I haven't tried it yet.

0 123
 04-07-2013, 08:16 AM
User Info
Any of the Gillette 7 O'Clock series from St Petersburg are excellent, I also like Med Preps and IMO are identical or so close to the LabBlues that no difference exists that I found. Any version of the Iridium family are really good. My notes tell me that the Permasharp Supers are a top notch blade also, but I have none left to retest them.

I get 7 shaves from all these blades and I find them in the upper tier of sharpness and smoothness. Just superlative blades.

32 6,308
 04-07-2013, 10:34 AM
User Info
The Feather blades were the second I tried and have been with them ever since. Never had any issues with them. Smooth from the outset and will easily last for 6 shaves, although I typically swap every 3.

31 4,957
 04-07-2013, 01:32 PM
User Info
YMMV is truly an anomaly. i only get two shaves with the Feathers, also; too sharp, not smooth.

You should really consider the Super Iridiums.

75 20,883
 04-07-2013, 01:36 PM
User Info
I find feathers are no good for shaving at all. I can't even get one to fit in my razor plus they smell a bit. Apparently, the the other end can be adapted to use with ink instead of a pen....Rolleyes

Sorry for putting my beak in. I'll fly off now, back to my nest.

1 253
 04-07-2013, 01:44 PM
User Info
(04-07-2013, 01:32 PM)celestino Wrote: YMMV is truly an anomaly. i only get two shaves with the Feathers, also; too sharp, not smooth.

You should really consider the Super Iridiums.

Yep, that's my experience too. They're great the first day, okay the second, then after that the blade gradually starts pulling on my whiskers more and more until I can't stand it and toss the blade. Kind of reminds me of the boiling frog syndrome.

0 33
 04-07-2013, 04:42 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
(04-07-2013, 01:36 PM)Gairdner Wrote: I find feathers are no good for shaving at all. I can't even get one to fit in my razor plus they smell a bit. Apparently, the the other end can be adapted to use with ink instead of a pen....Rolleyes

Sorry for putting my beak in. I'll fly off now, back to my nest.

Your blades SMELL??? Where have you been storing them? Smile

0 1,622
 04-07-2013, 05:37 PM
  • RobE
  • NY USA
User Info
Feathers are nice, but seem to dull quickly. Recommendations? Yes, Buy more of them.

17 290
 04-07-2013, 07:56 PM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
what kind of razor are you using? I enjoy feathers and get about 3 to 4 shaves. The only razor that gives me more out of them is the Futur. I can get about 5 to 6

1 265
 04-08-2013, 01:52 AM
User Info
(04-07-2013, 05:37 PM)RobE Wrote: Feathers are nice, but seem to dull quickly. Recommendations? Yes, Buy more of them.

Now that's an idea!Lightbulb

I will be interested to see if that is the solution I eventually come to. I love the start of a journey, so much to see and discover!

Enjoy!
Shaving

0 33