04-07-2013, 07:32 AM
User Info
Just had the best shave of my life with a fresh Feather blade in a Merkur Progress. One of the things that I don't like about my Progress is that when I tighten the knob all the way, the reading on the dial is "2." I've seen a lot of people posting complaints about this, with different numbers showing when they tighten the dial all the way up. I believe it should be at the "+" to the left of "1" on the dial. I didn't really care as I just a setting relative to where ever it tightens up to, but it would be nice to have it "zero out."

This morning I decided to try and do something about this other than to send the razor back as defective or anything else. So, what I did was pull the knob and shaft out of the end of the razor. I put one vise grip wrench around the shaft, and another smaller vise grip wrench around the dial where the numbers are. I was hoping that by twisting the dial in relation to the shaft I could get it to "zero out." It took a few times to get it to zero out perfectly, but it did when I put it together for the last time.

I call the result the Merkur "Hackress."

If you try this, I would recommend not tightening a vise grip wrench on the plastic knob as it would most likely break it. Also be sure to tighten the collar that holds the assembly into the shaft, or you could slip and slice yourself (which I did before working on it today.)

Enjoy.

0 33
 04-07-2013, 10:19 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Very interesting info on how to adjust a Progress. Would it be possible to post some pictures of your procedure without actually doing it again. Sort of like a guide. In any event thank you very much.

100 12,448
 04-07-2013, 10:32 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Why people get so wrought up about the numbers is beyond me....just shave with the setting you like and forget it....good grief....It is only a razor not a setting on a MRI...HuhHuh

6 1,913
 04-07-2013, 10:44 AM
User Info
(04-07-2013, 10:32 AM)Harvey Wrote: Why people get so wrought up about the numbers is beyond me....just shave with the setting you like and forget it....good grief....It is only a razor not a setting on a MRI...HuhHuh

ha ha ha!!! i like the setting to be zero when it is zero.

to each their own.AaaaaAaaaa

(04-07-2013, 10:19 AM)slantman Wrote: Very interesting info on how to adjust a Progress. Would it be possible to post some pictures of your procedure without actually doing it again. Sort of like a guide. In any event thank you very much.

Absolutely!! Give me a little bit and I will pull something together.Biggrin

0 33
 04-07-2013, 12:02 PM
User Info
(04-07-2013, 10:19 AM)slantman Wrote: Very interesting info on how to adjust a Progress. Would it be possible to post some pictures of your procedure without actually doing it again. Sort of like a guide. In any event thank you very much.

My pleasure. Unfortunately I have never posted any photos on the forum. If someone could tell me the best way to do it, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

0 33
 04-07-2013, 12:48 PM
User Info

Okay, here we go,

1. First look at ring with numbers on handle in relation to small mark on handle just above it before disassembling razor to get an idea of which direction you need to go to make the "1" line up with it. Unscrew knob and remove head, then pull on knob to remove shaft from handle:

2. Grip shaft firmly with one vise grip wrench, then grip ring with numbers marked on it with another vise grip wrench. Ring with numbers on it will rotate. Rotate it in the direction you determined you need to go in step 1 to line "1" up with mark on handle.

3. Then to re-assemble handle and knob, squeeze the ring with the gap in it on the shaft.

4. Check to see if "1" lines up with the mark, as it does in this photo. If not, repeat the steps above as needed until it does. It should only take a few times.

That's it! Of course be careful not to squeeze the shaft or number ring so hard that you will dent them, but the shaft seems pretty solid, and you do need a good grip on the number ring so that the teeth of the vise grip don't slip on it and dig it up.

Some people may poo poo doing this, but it's not hard, and then you have a constant reference point when setting your blade gap without fooling around with it so much. I've heard switching blades may also change how it "zeroes out." I haven't seen that yet, but if it does and you don't like it, now you know how to fix it.

Have fun!
Tongue

0 33
 04-07-2013, 01:21 PM
User Info
Thanks for the photos and the information! Enjoy the "new" razor!

75 20,883
 04-07-2013, 01:31 PM
User Info
(04-07-2013, 01:21 PM)celestino Wrote: Thanks for the photos and the information! Enjoy the "new" razor!

As always, it is my pleasure! If I can give back to the community 1% of that which I have received from the communal pool of knowledge, I can die knowing I did my best.Tongue

0 33
 04-07-2013, 01:45 PM
User Info
nice fix, I love it....but did you scruff/scrape the number section with the pliers (I didn't see you mention it)

maybe some rubber/plastic plier covers would work to keep the original finish from marking up.

Attached Files Image(s)

8 2,718
 04-07-2013, 02:00 PM
User Info
(04-07-2013, 01:45 PM)Bruce Wrote: nice fix, I love it....but did you scruff/scrape the number section with the pliers (I didn't see you mention it)

maybe some rubber/plastic plier covers would work to keep the original finish from marking up.

Rubber plier covers may be a good idea. I just examined my number ring very closely though, and didn't see any scratches on it at all. As you may notice in my photos, I used a smaller pair of needle nosed vise grips with less tooth on them on the ring than the larger pair I used to hold the shaft. I can see a set of marks on the shaft from the pair I used to hold that. Also, I adjusted the grip on the ring so that it was tight enough that it didn't move when I turned the ring, but not so tight as to break the chrome plating.

Definitely something to be careful about for sure! If you don't have any rubber plier covers, I would think a rubber pad from a jar opener could be put around the ring, or a piece of rubber from a bicycle inner tube.

(04-07-2013, 02:00 PM)paulmasson Wrote:
(04-07-2013, 01:45 PM)Bruce Wrote: nice fix, I love it....but did you scruff/scrape the number section with the pliers (I didn't see you mention it)

Rubber plier covers may be a good idea. I just examined my number ring very closely though, and didn't see any scratches on it at all. As you may notice in my photos, I used a smaller pair of needle nosed vise grips with less tooth on them on the ring than the larger pair I used to hold the shaft. I can see a set of marks on the shaft from the pair I used to hold that. Also, I adjusted the grip on the ring so that it was tight enough that it didn't move when I turned the ring, but not so tight as to break the chrome plating.

Definitely something to be careful about for sure! If you don't have any rubber plier covers, I would think a rubber pad from a jar opener could be put around the ring, or a piece of rubber from a bicycle inner tube.

Hmmm, hard for me to tell if those are marks from pliers or they were manufacturer's tooling marks, they are hardly noticeable in real life vs. hi res photo, and I know some of that stuff was there already. Merkur is well known for leaving tooling marks. In any case, they don't seem at all significant to me, but again, some rubber could be used to ensure no additional "tooling marks." I am very happy with my results, and tomorrow if I set it for "3 when I use it and like that, I hardly have to think about it the next day.

0 33
 04-07-2013, 06:09 PM
User Info
Can I ask if you checked the alignment marks on the top cap against the base plate before attempting this? I'm sure you did, but I've never heard of a progress being so far out of zero unless the top cap was rotated 180°.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

3 195
 04-07-2013, 06:55 PM
User Info
(04-07-2013, 06:09 PM)Dirty Texan Wrote: Can I ask if you checked the alignment marks on the top cap against the base plate before attempting this? I'm sure you did, but I've never heard of a progress being so far out of zero unless the top cap was rotated 180°.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Absolutely!!!!! The last thing I wanted to do was perform brain surgery!!! I do a lot of online research, so I knew all the tricks and calibration techniques etc.

0 33
 04-08-2013, 03:59 AM
User Info
First day shaving with the Hackress today. Loved it! Of course the only the that changed was the number I set it to. Put it on 3 to start, not wanting to overdo it and draw blood. First pass went fine, then set it to 3.5 to clean up. Nice smooth shave! Just what I wanted.

Now tomorrow if I want to put it on the same setting as today, all I have to remember is "3.5" and not a bunch of other nonsense and doubt. Got more important things to think about.
ThumbupThumbupThumbup

0 33
 04-08-2013, 06:56 AM
User Info
This is why I got the Mergress - I expect it to be SPOT ON !

22 5,064
 04-08-2013, 07:03 AM
User Info
I think I see a Mergress in my future. I love the razor, the product as it comes from Merkur these days is just a tad less than what it should be. Now that I know I love it, the investment will be worth it. That was part of what fueled my impatience to just get a Progress too, didn't know how much I was going to like it.

0 33
 04-08-2013, 07:15 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Thanks for the information. Much appreciated!

14 870
 04-08-2013, 07:30 AM
User Info
My pleasure, happy to be a resource in the community.

May you use it in good health kind sir!

0 33
 04-08-2013, 09:20 AM
User Info
All of their engineering went to h-ll after they started farming their cars out to other countries!!!

5 410
 04-20-2013, 01:49 PM
  • Exapno
  • Northampton, England
User Info
Well, I tried this adjustment on my progress just now and all I got for my troubles was a scuffed up number ring and shaft. I used rubber strips to protect the razor from the plier teeth but that didn't seem to work very well. Also, the number ring didn't budge. Not one bit. This was my old progress I got in a trade years ago, it had a bit of plating loss on the edge of the head and I intend to replace it with a new, possibly long handled version so I'm not too bothered about the scratches. It would have been nice to have got this to work though, just in case I got a new one that didn't line up (I know it's not the end of the world if the numbers don't line up, I'd just prefer it if they did...)

Anyone else besides the OP tried this..?

0 132
 04-20-2013, 07:52 PM
User Info
One has to ask: why can't Merkur do it at the factory? I guess there is no more pride in making things right anymore...

6 808