04-07-2013, 02:45 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I just sent an email to Edwin Jagger asking them if EJ head #EJDEHbl5 is a new design. I saw it on the EJ website and it looks different in some ways resembling the R41 Muhle.

100 12,438
 04-07-2013, 03:25 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Jerry :

any link to that new head design? I cant find it now...Thanks !

86 7,123
 04-07-2013, 03:34 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Try this and tell me what you think.

HERE

100 12,438
 04-07-2013, 03:38 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(04-07-2013, 03:34 PM)slantman Wrote: Try this and tell me what you think.

HERE

Thanks Jerry.

The head doesn't looks like the one the Muhle R41 comes with , which is the open comb used by Muhle in some models.This one seems to be the regular closed comb used by EJ and Muhle , for at least , the last 3 years.For me , the best closed combs heads I have tried so far.

Maybe I'm missing something...

86 7,123
 04-07-2013, 03:38 PM
User Info
It seems the good old EJ closed comb design to me...
EJ (or better said, TESC) has been selling the heads alone for quite some time...

2 5,527
 04-07-2013, 03:43 PM
User Info
Yep, it's the standard, well made, eminently dependable EJ head. I bought a head only from them as I had a beautiful knurled custom handle at the time. Gee whizz, you had me going there! Biggrin

1 253
 04-07-2013, 03:55 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
You guys are probably correct that its the old head but I will wait to hear from EJ and get the official word.

100 12,438
 04-08-2013, 06:03 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Email from Edwin Jagger confirms the head is not new. And they did not mention anything about adding a new head in the future.

100 12,438
 04-08-2013, 06:58 AM
User Info
(04-07-2013, 03:43 PM)Gairdner Wrote: Yep, it's the standard, well made, eminently dependable EJ head. I bought a head only from them as I had a beautiful knurled custom handle at the time. Gee whizz, you had me going there! Biggrin

Who did you contact to get the head only ?

22 5,044
 04-08-2013, 07:57 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(04-08-2013, 06:58 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(04-07-2013, 03:43 PM)Gairdner Wrote: Yep, it's the standard, well made, eminently dependable EJ head. I bought a head only from them as I had a beautiful knurled custom handle at the time. Gee whizz, you had me going there! Biggrin

Who did you contact to get the head only ?

Saw the head on The English Shave Shop website and thought it looked different. As it turned out it was the old head they have been selling for years.

100 12,438
 04-08-2013, 08:30 AM
User Info
Here you go, Claus. Link for the EJ head only: The English Shaving Co.

Apologies for not replying earlier, mate.

As an aside, when I was trying to encourage my wife to convert to DE, TESC offered to do a one-off razor with the pink Mach 3 handle but the EJ DE head. They were just going to charge the standard price too. In the end, wee wifey settled on the DE87 with ivory octagonal handle. Darn fine service though, I'm sure you'll agree.

1 253
 04-08-2013, 09:56 AM
User Info
(04-08-2013, 08:30 AM)Gairdner Wrote: Here you go, Claus. Link for the EJ head only: The English Shaving Co.

Apologies for not replying earlier, mate.

As an aside, when I was trying to encourage my wife to convert to DE, TESC offered to do a one-off razor with the pink Mach 3 handle but the EJ DE head. They were just going to charge the standard price too. In the end, wee wifey settled on the DE87 with ivory octagonal handle. Darn fine service though, I'm sure you'll agree.

Thanks, I'm looking for the head in gold Smile

22 5,044
 04-08-2013, 10:04 AM
User Info
They'll sell you it, I'm quite certain. Just send them an email and I'm sure you'll get the answer you're looking for. One of the most helpful companies out there. I really fancy the gold EJ barley for my fortieth next year! Biggrin

1 253
 04-08-2013, 12:03 PM
User Info
The EJ razor head is an amazing razor. I hope they never change it like Muhle does all the time with the R41.

67 349
 04-08-2013, 12:13 PM
User Info
Correct me if I am wrong, BUT...are not these two companies closely related or work together on a lot of items. Are not their cosmetics the exact same.

A head is a huge project to make organically. I would bet they are using the exact same one to save money and development costs.

5 273
 04-08-2013, 12:20 PM
User Info
(04-08-2013, 12:13 PM)Shave a Buck Wrote: Correct me if I am wrong, BUT...are not these two companies closely related or work together on a lot of items. Are not their cosmetics the exact same.

A head is a huge project to make organically. I would bet they are using the exact same one to save money and development costs.
Yes, EJ and Muhle both use the same closed comb heads. I believe the head is designed by Muhle but the plating by Edwin Jagger, which just happens to be the same plating used on Rolls Royce emblems- the Spirit of Ecstacy.

31 4,957
 04-08-2013, 12:21 PM
User Info
Both companies collaborated jointly to develop the closed comb head seen on the EJ DE89 and M R89 but they each make their own independently of the other. It had long been rumoured that Mühle made the heads for EJ but Neil Jagger, in an interview over on Straight Razor Place stated categorically that EJ heads were made on EJ tooling in EJ workshops - here is an excerpt from that conversation:

Obie: The story going around is that the German Muhle makes the Edwin Jagger razor shave head. Is this correct or is it just falacy?

Neil: Actually we hear this a lot. This is not correct at all. It was Andreas Muller — new to the Muhle Company at the time — and myself who teamed up to search for potential contract manufacturers before we started to design a two-part head that suited both company’s needs. It was a very exciting time as we exchanged numerous sketches and CAD drawings with alteration after alteration. Ultimately my determination to keep improving the underside of the DE base plate — clean and uncluttered — allowed us to agree on a new design that was really quite different from anything else we had seen already on the market. Once we had approved the drawings we both committed to prototyping costs and shared the complicated tooling costs, which were at that time considerable.

Obie: This then, once and for all, erases the currently held belief that Muhle designs and produces the Edwin Jagger shave head.

Neil: Having actively been involved in the design, trialing and final prototyping, just like Andreas, I view the DE head as part Edwin Jagger design. We do not rely on Muhle for supplies to fulfill our growing sales. Our components come direct from our tools and we determine availability, our own production runs and Edwin Jagger quality control

With credits and thanks to the Straight Razor Place forum. Biggrin

1 253
 04-08-2013, 12:52 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen, I am a wee bit late to this conversation. Indeed, that is the standard Edwin Jagger shave head.
I must admit, after shaving with scores of modern DE razors, the Edwin Jagger still holds a special spot for me. It's a sweet razor.

132 2,614
 04-09-2013, 02:24 AM
User Info
(04-08-2013, 10:04 AM)Gairdner Wrote: They'll sell you it, I'm quite certain. Just send them an email and I'm sure you'll get the answer you're looking for. One of the most helpful companies out there. I really fancy the gold EJ barley for my fortieth next year! Biggrin

I have had RAD the last 2 months or so Blush

Have a pending order for 3 Edwin Jagger in gold - Barley, Octo black and ivory black - all in gold plating Biggrin

22 5,044
 04-09-2013, 05:04 AM
  • Deano
  • Iowa
User Info
(04-08-2013, 12:52 PM)Obie Wrote: Gentlemen, I am a wee bit late to this conversation. Indeed, that is the standard Edwin Jagger shave head.
I must admit, after shaving with scores of modern DE razors, the Edwin Jagger still holds a special spot for me. It's a sweet razor.

Agreed. I have a EJ DE87 in rotation with two Gillette NEW OC razors and a Red Tip. To me the EJ is as good as any. I do lean toward my Red Tip but its my birth razor so sentiment comes into play a bit there.

7 898