04-06-2012, 08:50 AM
User Info
Hi everyone - that Colonial X2L in Manchurian Butterscotch is really calling to me. I know its an outrageous amount of money, but the butterscotch is just lovely.

My question is this: I face lather with creams (usually Proraso, MR, etc.); would the Colonel shape be fine for face-lathering? And how does the Manchurian bristle rate in comparison with the Simpson's pure/best/super/2-band grades? Thanks, Josh

72 1,407
 04-06-2012, 09:09 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(04-06-2012, 08:50 AM)jpakstis Wrote: Hi everyone - that Colonial X2L in Manchurian Butterscotch is really calling to me. I know its an outrageous amount of money, but the butterscotch is just lovely.

My question is this: I face lather with creams (usually Proraso, MR, etc.); would the Colonel shape be fine for face-lathering? And how does the Manchurian bristle rate in comparison with the Simpson's pure/best/super/2-band grades? Thanks, Josh

I have used the "Eshan" (Colonel with super badger two band hair) and its shape was pretty easy to hold while facelathering,but also with bowl lathering.
I havent tried this Manchurian badger hair,but the super badger two band is another cool option to facelather with it : firm backbone and kind of soft tips (needs some break in).

86 7,123
 04-06-2012, 09:27 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(04-06-2012, 08:50 AM)jpakstis Wrote: Hi everyone - that Colonial X2L in Manchurian Butterscotch is really calling to me. I know its an outrageous amount of money, but the butterscotch is just lovely.

It is only an outrageous amount of money if you are not willing to pay it.

If I won the lottery, I would build a special cabinet for nothing but brushes and would own one each of every brush Simpsons and Semogue makes. And if I still had room, I would fill it up with Rooney Heritages.

You know you want it, buy it.Smile

173 23,500
 04-06-2012, 09:35 AM
User Info
I have a Duke 3 in manchurian, also in butterscotch. The butterscotch looks way better in real life than in pictures. Don't worry, face lathering will be great with the manchurian colonel.

Here are my impressions on the different grade of Simpson brushes:

In best badger I've used a Duke 3, Colonel, and Persian Jar 3. Simpson's best badger is soft and slightly scrubby, which is good, but a bit too floppy. The PJ3 was especially floppy, which makes sense since it has the biggest knot (and highest loft) of the three brushes I've tried.

In 3-band super I've tried a PJ2 and Chubby 2. Simpson's 3-band super is really dense and soft, the CH2 is especially dense. In fact I had flow through issues with the CH2. The PJ2 was much better but still a bit too dense for me.

In 2-band super I've tried a pretty well worn PJ3 (about 2 years old). With the exception of the handle not being comfortable, this is the best knot I've used to date. Good backbone, great flow through, and nice soft tips. Fantastic with both soaps and creams.

Now to the manchurian hair in my Duke 3. My initial impression was that it was too scrubby, now that the tips have softened a bit (about 2 weeks of use) it feels better. I believe it will continue to get better and better. Flow through is great, backbone is fantastic, the brush feels nice and scrubby (by which I mean provides a nice massage). Simpson's manchurian could end up being better than the 2-band which I really enjoyed.

15 222
 04-06-2012, 09:38 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Nice review Rey, thanks.

173 23,500
 04-06-2012, 09:43 AM
User Info
Thanks Rey - does the manchurian bloom? I don't like how 2-band doesn't bloom much.

72 1,407
 04-06-2012, 10:14 AM
User Info
It does bloom, but you won't see the dramatic bloom of say a best badger or super in 3-band. The 2-band and manchurian look to bloom about the same amount.

15 222
 04-06-2012, 10:33 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I can't even imagine a Colonel in Super or Manchurian. The Best was amazing to me.

116 3,804
 04-06-2012, 10:52 AM
User Info
(04-06-2012, 10:33 AM)Dave Wrote: I can't even imagine a Colonel in Super or Manchurian. The Best was amazing to me.

This is why different hair grades exist, people just have different tastes.

15 222
 04-06-2012, 12:42 PM
User Info
Rey, thanks for the review and reply to questions. Yes, the different hair grades make for some different shaving experiences and preferences. As we all know - YMMV.

29 1,731
 04-12-2012, 12:36 AM
User Info
(04-06-2012, 09:27 AM)Johnny Wrote: It is only an outrageous amount of money if you are not willing to pay it.

Exactly.

64 796
 04-12-2012, 08:06 AM
User Info
Great review Rey!!

1 223