04-09-2013, 12:13 AM
  • GWHunter
  • Alleged rookie
  • Central Arkansas
User Info
What are your thoughts on the longevity of a shave based on equipment used. I have not yet used a straight but find that a shave with the Rolls Razor lasts a great deal longer than with a single edge or double edge razor.

With a double edge my stubble is back within six to eight hours. I don't use a single edge that much but haven't noticed an appreciable difference when I do use one. When shaving with the Rolls Razor my stubble isn't back for more than twelve hours. This is true for me even when all compared shaves are BBS.

It seems possibly that the DE blade cleanly lops off the surface hair without pulling on it at all. The Rolls (and I assume a straight) will tug slightly as its cutting therefore exposing more of the hair shaft to cut.

Is it this or other factors? Or am I totally alone in my findings?

5 40
 04-09-2013, 12:31 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I've noticed it too, but only with certain razors.."type" has nothing to do with it for me. Razors that give me BBS for at least 10-12 hours are the 2011 R41, Fatip, Merkur Progress and Futur, Weber (Polished and DLC) Ever-Ready 1914 and Schick E2 injector.
I've found it also depends on the blade, I've used many blades in many razors and found some give totally different longevity results depending on blade/razor combination.
I have no idea how it works, you'd think BBS is BBS and razor/blade should have no bearing on regrowth. Huh

31 1,510
 04-09-2013, 03:10 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
When I shave about 5-6 hours later the stubble is back, the best results (but that means maybe 2 hours later) come when I shave with a Feather or Kai straight with replaceable blades, as far as DE's go that would be Weber DLC and the New Feather AS-D2

27 1,294
 04-09-2013, 03:58 AM
User Info
When I shave with a DE the shadow is back in a couple hours. But I have dark hair but very fair skin, so I expect it.
With Fusion or electric though, the shadow never left! So this is an improvement :-)

10 2,062
 04-09-2013, 05:06 AM
User Info
A good craftsman never blames his tools.

A lot can be said for technique. I only have a few razors(DE & SE), but get good shaves from all of them. The shaves from each last well into the evening for me. The only time I notice a drop off is when I push a blade beyond 4 shaves.

18 567
 04-09-2013, 06:19 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
My longest lasting shaves generally take place when I use either my Feather Artist Club SS or Feather Popular DE razors. Generally around 10-12 hours.

Next would be my Schick G1 Injector which last around 8-9 hours, and last would be my BIC Sensitive Disposable razors which last around 7-8 hours.

I also find my prep and the type of soap/cream I use has something to do with it. For some reason, I seem to get my closest shaves when I use either my Speick Cream or Stick.

173 23,488
 04-09-2013, 12:13 PM
User Info
There's a reason I use and prefer aggressive razors. I find that they give me the closest and longest lasting shaves. If I use a less aggressive razor, and I do have and use some, I don't get as close a shave even if it might be a BBS, and the shave doesn't last as long.

Today I shaved with a Single Ring and while it was a BBS right after the shave, as I faceturbate and grade the shave now, it's just a DFS. Typically, if I had shaved with the R41 or any of my other aggressive razors I'd still have a BBS. Typically an aggressive razor shave is a BBS for at least 12 hours for me.

32 6,308
 04-09-2013, 02:31 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
My type-E injector and open comb Cadet razor give me the longest lasing *comfortable* shaves. I can accomplish the same thing with my EJ, but I'm generally more razor burnt.

10 1,858
 04-14-2013, 10:34 AM
User Info
To date, the Fatip gives me the longest time period of no stubble.

3 73
 04-14-2013, 01:56 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Since re-discovering the Muhle R102 (R41 2011') regardless of blade my BBS lasts an easy 15-20 hours. I have learned no more then two passes is required to achieve a great shave. When I get the new version R41 I am hoping I get the same results. The other razor that gives BBS shaves that last at least 12 hours is my Sabi T2.

100 12,437
 04-14-2013, 06:06 PM
User Info
My straight has given me the longest BBS shave. I have always wondered if a more aggressive razor leads to less passes and then less irritation.

2 396
 04-15-2013, 08:50 AM
User Info
MB, IMO if used with proper shave technique and with a proper blade that's my theory.

Only once have I gotten razor burn and the problem was clearly really bad lather.

I get a BBS most every day with only 2 1/3 passes and with no discomfort at all. I'm not a masochist.

32 6,308
 04-15-2013, 07:31 PM
User Info
I currently only own 1 SE, in the Cobra and it really provides the longest lasting BBS shaves, ranging in the 12-16 hr mark while me DE'still give me a solid 8 hrs.

64 796