04-06-2012, 10:57 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1240012.JPG?m=1333736750]

I did received this brush yesterday and I have been able to shave with it (twice) and test it I dont know how many times between today and last night.

This brush has the following specs :

1. 1.Knot : 19 mm
  2. 2.Loft : 50 mm
  3. 3.Total Height : 100mm

So is the kind of brush that I would like to use for facelathering exclusively.

[Image: P1240013.JPG?m=1333736784]

I was really impressed with the Muhle Silvertip Fibres 21mm knot one,as you can read here : Muhle Silvertip Fibres 21mm (M) shaving brush ,but this one,since I am a hard die face latherer (well,I wuld like to believe that ! Biggrin ) have impressed me even more.

Its not a super hair densely packed brush,specially compare it with the 21mm (M) brush that I already had,as you can see in this picture :

[Image: P1240011.JPG?m=1333736742]

But,Oh Boy! This brush is a lather machine! A soap killer,even a shaving cream killer...

But step by step,Ill first explain my impressions of it.

The brush has a shorter loft than the medium size one (50 mm loft vs 55 mm loft) which could slightly affect its flow,or I would say that its flow is different than the medium size one.Its not stiff brush,but you can feel that is more firm than the medium size brush,so when I use it with circular motions on my face as I'm building the lather,I have to apply a little bit more pressure than the medium size one,but not the pressure that I have to exercise with other synthetic hair brushes,like the Body Shop or Frank Shaving,where the pressure to be able to "open" the medium section bristles has to be stronger.

No,with this brush I have to apply a little bit more pressure,and there you go,perfect to make circular strokes on the face and feel its flow.

As I said it has a firmer backbone than the medium size due to its shorter loft,however the tips are still soft,like the medium size one.The tips are softer than the Edwin Jagger super badger small size (19mm knot too) that I had in the past,and don't have any scratchy feeling.Cool : soft tips with good backbone and badger feel alike!

[Image: P1240014.JPG?m=1333736804]

I honestly think that blindfolded I would have a hard time too discovering or trying to guess if this brush is made of natural hair or not.Now Im getting to know better how "it feels" when I pass my hand over its tips,but its still so close to the real natural hair feeling,that Is kind of hard to sometimes believe.

Since this brush has a shorter loft,a firm backbone with some flow and not is overly dense packed with hair,its a soap killer.I always try my new brushes with Mitchells Wool Fat/Kent shaving soap,since there is a "myth" out there (I sometimes wonder how or why people cant make lather with this soap) which says that its hard to get good lather with it.

Well,this is a pic of the brush,after I swirl it a couple times over the shaving soap and made lather with it on the palm on my hand :

[Image: P1240019.JPG?m=1333737088]

What do you guys think? Biggrin Lather festival? I think so...

Here is a pic compare it with the medium size one (white handle) :

[Image: P1240010.JPG?m=1333736739]

If the Medium size was a amazing discovery,this is not far behind.I knew how good was the silvetip fibres,but 5mm short are even better,at least for my personal preferences of how to build/make the lather on my face and how it feels.

Muhle have done a great job,and this is a SERIOUS competition to badger hair brushes.Why?I wrote it in another thread,but Ill copy it here too :

-Its not a lather hog,either sucks water or soap/cream,so the lather its build really quick,with almost no effort,and the lather quality is what many people like ,dense and thick,instead of runny or full of bubbles due to excess of water on the bristles like with natural hair brushes.

-It take less than 10 minutes to be fully dry out.

-You don't need to much cream or soap to make tons of lather with it.

-It behaves like a natural super badger or silvertip badger brush,with soft tips,firm backbone and nice flow.With circular movements can be used with any problems,making no difference with natural badger hair.

Once again,well done for Muhle!

86 7,123
 04-06-2012, 12:53 PM
User Info
Very nice write up!!

1 223
 04-06-2012, 01:07 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Thanks Teiste for the impressions on the 19mm. I think I must acquire one now. Darn it.

116 3,804
 04-06-2012, 03:50 PM
User Info
Makes rich lather out of that MWF! Excellent review.

1 2,827
 04-06-2012, 03:54 PM
  • Codfish
  • Product Tester
  • Connecticut Shoreline
User Info
Another terrific review, Teiste. Thank you!

0 254
 04-06-2012, 04:00 PM
User Info
Nice review. I found the knot too small for me when I tried it last year, that is why I went with the 21mm. I am a face painter though not a swirler, so the larger knot and longer loft suit my style better. YMMV

2 697
 04-07-2012, 06:21 AM
User Info
These Muhle silvertip fibre brushes are very good. If Muhle did not nail it with this synthetic hair, they are at least headed in the right direction.

Thanks for another great write up Teiste!

15 222
 04-07-2012, 09:02 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(04-07-2012, 06:21 AM)reyrascon Wrote: These Muhle silvertip fibre brushes are very good. If Muhle did not nail it with this synthetic hair, they are at least headed in the right direction.

I dont know if they can improve these new silvertip fibres brushes,but for sure,these brushes behaves and almost feel like real badger hair.

86 7,123
 04-07-2012, 09:03 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(04-07-2012, 06:21 AM)reyrascon Wrote: These Muhle silvertip fibre brushes are very good. If Muhle did not nail it with this synthetic hair, they are at least headed in the right direction.

I dont know if they can improve these new silvertip fibres brushes,but for sure,these brushes behaves and almost feel like real badger hair.

86 7,123
 04-07-2012, 09:45 AM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
Very nice. I've been casually looking at synthetics, not for any ethical reasons or anything, just something I haven't tried yet. This one might make the cut.

1 73
 04-07-2012, 11:24 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Thanks very much! I've been looking forward to your review of this one.

This looks like a must purchase for me considering how much I love my FS brush so far.
I think that initially, I was a synthetic brush snob, only considering natural hair. It's nice to learn something about a product and about keeping an open mind! Smile

6 905
 04-07-2012, 11:59 AM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
Great review and comparison!!

0 353