04-09-2013, 06:52 PM
User Info
I have an R41 that I purchased in 2012, I've read about different models at the time of purchasing it, and now I see people talking about the "2013" model. But apparently when I purchased mine there were already 2 different ones. Are there 3 total different R41's? Mine is very aggressive. TIA

0 25
 04-09-2013, 06:58 PM
User Info
Yes there are more than 2. I have the '10 and '11. From there I'm confused on if there are 1, 2 or 3 more 'heads or are they just models???'

5 410
 04-09-2013, 07:03 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
There are at least two recent threads on the subject. Just scroll down through the threads.

0 1,625
 04-09-2013, 07:03 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
There are 3 models with the same number R41...First was an open comb using the same head Merkur uses. The one you have came out in late 2010 and is a modified OC and is considered quite "aggressive". Shortly after the complaints rolled in they quietly "tamed" and now refer to it as the New 2013 head...still aggressive but less so. They did this by enlarging the top cap which slightly curves the blade and shows less exposure. The bottom plate is also slightly wider....basically having all 3 I prefer the newest one...still aggressive but more "friendly". Apparently you can get these only from Connaught Shaving in England.

6 1,913
 04-10-2013, 09:48 AM
User Info
(04-09-2013, 07:03 PM)Harvey Wrote: There are 3 models with the same number R41...First was an open comb using the same head Merkur uses. The one you have came out in late 2010 and is a modified OC and is considered quite "aggressive". Shortly after the complaints rolled in they quietly "tamed" and now refer to it as the New 2013 head...still aggressive but less so. They did this by enlarging the top cap which slightly curves the blade and shows less exposure. The bottom plate is also slightly wider....basically having all 3 I prefer the newest one...still aggressive but more "friendly". Apparently you can get these only from Connaught Shaving in England.

I think that clears it up, so I have what people commonly refer to as the 2011 model. I don't enjoy it, it's too aggressive for my taste, but I know there are some that love it.

0 25
 04-10-2013, 10:18 AM
User Info
(04-10-2013, 09:48 AM)Skinny Wrote:
(04-09-2013, 07:03 PM)Harvey Wrote: There are 3 models with the same number R41...First was an open comb using the same head Merkur uses. The one you have came out in late 2010 and is a modified OC and is considered quite "aggressive". Shortly after the complaints rolled in they quietly "tamed" and now refer to it as the New 2013 head...still aggressive but less so. They did this by enlarging the top cap which slightly curves the blade and shows less exposure. The bottom plate is also slightly wider....basically having all 3 I prefer the newest one...still aggressive but more "friendly". Apparently you can get these only from Connaught Shaving in England.

I think that clears it up, so I have what people commonly refer to as the 2011 model. I don't enjoy it, it's too aggressive for my taste, but I know there are some that love it.
Unfortunately, I found the upgrade from the first to the second R41 too great a climb. The original open comb Merkur head was just not aggressive enough for me. I got a better shave with the closed comb heads. Then along came the 2011 version and what a contrast. I would say shaving with a straight was easier for me. I'm tempted to buy the 2013 version just out of curiosity.

31 4,957