04-09-2013, 10:41 PM
User Info
Some time ago I picked up a GzD shaving stick, partly to bulk out an order from Turkey and partly because I suffer from various Acquisition Disorders... like many shavers do.

It is natural to compare and contrast the GzD agains the one Turkish stick 'everyone' knows; the Arko stick - it don't matter if you love it or loath it, it seems everyone has an opinion on it.

The GzD is just as good at making lather as the Arko is, it's a bit softer so it might be easier to bash into a bowl if you're not a face latherer. The scent is not nearly as strong as a freshly unwrapped Arko, and reminds me more of an Arko stick that have been left unwrapped for a month or two.

The GzD gives decent glide and cushion, and can be recommended if you just can't handle the scent of the Arko. It seems to in general be more expensive than the Arko though, and it comes without a wrapper in a card board box - the box don't stand up to much abuse, and I had to wrap mine in some parchment paper so I could handle it better.

3 3,580
 04-10-2013, 05:29 AM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
I agree, Hans - I like GZD. I like Arko better, but it's nice to change things up once in a while. I am currently working through a couple of sticks of GZD that came to me already smooshed! I put them in an OS mug & started whipping up a good thick lather.

Both the Arko and GZD are similar in many ways, including the lables, although GZD guy looks a bit more sinister that the handsome Arko Man - see for yourself.

[Image: JVB4FNP.jpg]

~Frank

18 271
 04-11-2013, 07:29 AM
User Info
Both come from Turkey yet Arko has donenothing about the copyright infringement issues. It's a good soap, and plyable to the bowl or cup it has to go it unlilke the stick.

Shaving factory soap pucks are round and made by Arko however.

5 273
 04-11-2013, 07:49 AM
User Info
I am currently out of Arko, but have a stick of GZD, which I've pressed into a bowl. Its scent and performance are similar to Arko, so when I need an Arko fix, that's what I reach for.

I also picked up a couple of sticks of Camelot with my GZD order. It has a very different scent, lighters and more of a cologne-type scent, but the performance is similar. Good stuff.

Dave

7 138
 04-11-2013, 11:14 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Thanks Hans, this is the first I've ever heard of GzD sticks. If it's similar to ARKO, I will just stick with the original. I have one stick of ARKO left for my yearly fix when I want my face to smell like I just washed it with a bar of Ivory soap.

173 23,553
 04-11-2013, 12:34 PM
User Info
Nice review, Hans. I have tried Arko, GZD and Derby sticks. Very similar performance and scent but GZD was the one I didn't take to. Way too soft for my liking.

31 4,957
 04-11-2013, 03:55 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
I know I'm straying off topic a bit, but there's also the Tweex stick which is marvellous. Almost the same as the Arko with a slightly stronger scent.

Attached Files Image(s)

3 2,562