Bakelite

[Image: r2NCF9H.jpg]

Bakelite is an early plastic,
developed by by Belgian-born chemist Leo Baekeland,
in New York in 1907.

Bakelite was used for its
electrical nonconductivity and heat-resistant properties
in electrical insulators, radio and telephone casings,
and such diverse products as kitchenware, jewellery, and children's toys.

In recognition of its significance as the world's first synthetic plastic,
Bakelite was designated a National Historic Chemical Landmark in 1993
by the American Chemical Society.

The "retro" appeal of old Bakelite products has made them collectible...

And what could be a more collectable Bakelite product, than a razor... ?

My Bakelite Razor Collection...

Share your Bakelite razors here too!

91 17,850
 04-10-2013, 06:27 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Very interesting Ben. How do those two razors shave? I like the dark one.

173 23,535
 04-10-2013, 06:42 AM
User Info
Until the other day, I had the bakelite slant. While still a slant, its much less aggressive than "modern" slants such at the 37c or 39c. The Merkur slant head opens up as it goes from left to right; it looks like the safety bar is broken, or droops. Therefore the blade gets more and more exposed.

The bakelite safety bar stays parallel with the blade and therefore the exposure is the same throughout. The light weight of the razor also works in its favor as it glides fairly easily across the skin with the "scything" motion, but the blade is not too exposed to really be a danger if one uses more presure due to the light weight nature of the razor.

If the 37c came in bakelite it would be a bloodbath, but the bakelite slant is very nice.

72 1,407
 04-10-2013, 06:53 AM
User Info
I concur: that small German "bakelite" slant is simply an amazing shaver, and one of the nicest surprises that I've come across in the wet-shaving world. Didn't expect that much of that tiny piece of plastic.

2 5,532
 04-10-2013, 06:56 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Johnny, the red and black Bakelite is the Merkur 45.

It's a 3 piece razor and at 14 grams it's very lightweight. The razor feels balanced, but it's lack of weight may take getting used to.

The head has been likened to the Progress in design (specifically the blade bend) and it shaves at an equivalent of around 3 on the Progress scale. It's mildly aggressive.

The price is reasonable and I liked it for it's retro appeal.
I purchased it, with a travel razor mentality and am impressed with it's performance and finish.

91 17,850
 04-10-2013, 08:42 AM
User Info
(04-10-2013, 06:53 AM)oversaturn Wrote: I concur: that small German "bakelite" slant is simply an amazing shaver, and one of the nicest surprises that I've come across in the wet-shaving world. Didn't expect that much of that tiny piece of plastic.

+1! I was pleasantly surprised at the efficiency and smooth shave this light little razor produced. Definitely a keeper. I'm just glad I snagged one of these before Italian Barber ran out of them. They seem to be getting increasingly hard to find.

0 53
 04-14-2013, 08:54 PM
User Info
Sweet, sweet bakelites!

63 2,128
 04-14-2013, 09:04 PM
User Info
Wow, Ben, some great pics!

75 20,883
 04-14-2013, 09:55 PM
User Info
Thank you for sharing and informing us about the Bakelite origins.

0 606