04-10-2013, 12:33 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Anyone have experience with the Hart Steel Straight Razor?

173 23,486
 04-10-2013, 01:39 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
Johnny,

I have a 7/8 square point Hart razor.

I've been fortunate enough to try some of the best razors out there. TI, Filly, Dubl Duck, Heljestrand, W&B FBU, Puma, etc etc. And let me assure you, the Hart can roll with the best of them.

Its an expensive razor, there's no doubt about that. But it is an extraordinarily well made implement designed to do one thing, and do it well. It's exceedingly elegant in its simplicity. It's hand made, and takes a phenomenal edge. If you like a big hefty blade, then look no further.

Some complain the scales are plain and boring. And I agree with that. But I reach for it much more often than my naturally scaled straights. If anything, the scales are durable and are not prone to the cracking and issues seen with ivory, horn and the like. At the end of the day, from a functional perspective, I consider that a plus. What it lacks in aesthetics it makes up for in performance.

9 541
 04-10-2013, 01:49 PM
User Info
Good steel, well made. Expensive.

9 2,988
 04-10-2013, 02:33 PM
User Info
i would have to agree with Nick. i have never used one, but from what i have seen and read, they are extremely well made straights. i would love to have one, but i don't use straights. If i did, though, i would definitely get one of these, surely.

75 20,883
 04-10-2013, 02:50 PM
  • P Funk
  • I can only carry 50 chickens at a time
  • Bay Area, NorCal
User Info
Johnny must have read my mind Wink.
I've been seriously considering a 7/8 sqaure point the last few weeks but haven't yet pulled the trigger.

From what I can tell from scouring through posts, etc. and to echo Nick and Lee's comments, they are very well made and seem to be worth the cost in most owners' mind. (of course the cost point is subjective).

The only real complaints that I've come across are about the lack of aesthetically pleasing scales which Nick addressed. And there are enough pics out there to know what you are getting. Glad to hear that while they might not be the best lookers, they are durable.

Also, I've seen some complaints, though they may be outdated now, that the steel seems to be more prone to staining than other carbon steel blades. I would be very interested in comments from Hart owners.
Of course, carbon steel will stain if not the blade is not cared for properly (cleaned, dried, oiled, etc). I'm curious if the Hart blades are more prone to staining than a typical carbon blade. I believe that some newer Dovos had some issue with this. At least mine did - a drop of water sat on the blade for the length of time it would take to rinse, re-lather between passes and voila! a beautiful water mark on the blade. That Dovo was the only carbon blade that I've really had a staining issue with (I have around 30 straights, most are carbon steel). I also have another recent Dovo which has no such issues so not sure exactly where to pinpoint the problem.

In any case, I'm very close to pulling the trigger. If some Hart owners could put my mind at ease about the blade staining, I'll have a nice, new, somewhat costly 7/8 square point on the way.

Thanks and apologies to Johnny for the long ramble + question to his simple OP.

19 591
 04-10-2013, 03:47 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
(04-10-2013, 02:50 PM)P Funk Wrote: In any case, I'm very close to pulling the trigger. If some Hart owners could put my mind at ease about the blade staining

I personally haven't heard of this issue, but that certainly doesn't mean there aren't people out there with that problem.

I have the polished finish, and have not had any issues with staining. I wipe the blade with a piece of TP when I'm done, strop, use the silicone sleeves from TSS to dry all my straights for a few hours after shaving. I may have had a water spot once or twice, hard to recall as I've had it for some time now. But even if that were the case, since there is no etching or goldwork one can use a dab of MAAS and its gone. On a TI, Dovo, Filly, etc, there isn't that option on the front half of the blade, as it will undoubtably take the etching right along with it.

9 541
 04-10-2013, 03:58 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
Johnny, I have one. It's a nice razor, 6/8 square point. I won't wax poetically about it cause a good razor is a good razor no matter what you pay for it. I think you could expect a very good razor with no quality control issues if you purchased one. If you want to try one out, PM me. I do believe they stain easily but that's a personal maintenance issue.

12 743
 04-10-2013, 03:59 PM
  • P Funk
  • Bay Area, NorCal
User Info
Thanks Nick. Sounds like a 'normal' carbon blade to me. As you said, it wouldn't be a huge deal to use maas, brasso, etc to get rid of the staining since there is no etching. But if it was prone to it, I might reconsider. I don't want to have to develop/maintain a special post-shave, cleaning routing for one particular razor. It sounds like it would fit right in with rest of my lot.

19 591
 04-10-2013, 05:26 PM
User Info
I'd love to have one, but they are way over the price point of my budget.Sad

0 372
 04-10-2013, 05:52 PM
User Info
Johnny, buy it. I've been using my 6/8 Hart for about 2 1/2 years now. It was expensive, and I've never regretted it for a minute. It's modern steel, handmade, and is an excellent shaver. I've always dried it off post shave and rubbed it with oil before it goes into the canvas roll with the others. It takes and holds an edge. I got the hard wood scales, and like the looks of it. I'd love to get a new 7/8, but who needs another razor?? Biggrin I've got my small group of daily use straight razors and am very satisfied with all of them. Some of the really old ones shave well when they get honed up, but don't seem to want to hold their edges as well as the Hart does. Having to cope with razors that don't like to stay sharp over the long haul isn't any fun, and that's why I don't use them when I've got better ones.

24 1,150
 04-10-2013, 08:56 PM
User Info
(04-10-2013, 02:50 PM)P Funk Wrote: The only real complaints that I've come across are about the lack of aesthetically pleasing scales which Nick addressed. And there are enough pics out there to know what you are getting. Glad to hear that while they might not be the best lookers, they are durable.

Also, I've seen some complaints, though they may be outdated now, that the steel seems to be more prone to staining than other carbon steel blades. I would be very interested in comments from Hart owners.

Yes, the scales and razor are less refined than their European brethren. Some people like that though. Guess it's "American" and rustic.

The razor will stain easier because the finish is rougher. The more mirror finished a razor, the more impervious to stains.

Not sure about steel composition playing a factor.

9 2,988
 04-10-2013, 10:19 PM
  • P Funk
  • Bay Area, NorCal
User Info
(04-10-2013, 08:56 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: The razor will stain easier because the finish is rougher. The more mirror finished a razor, the more impervious to stains.

Thanks Lee! I hadn't thought about the finish being a factor but that makes sense.

19 591
 04-10-2013, 11:40 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
How much difference is there between using a 6/8 Vs 7/8 razor?

173 23,486
 04-10-2013, 11:43 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(04-10-2013, 03:58 PM)oscar11 Wrote: Johnny, I have one. It's a nice razor, 6/8 square point. I won't wax poetically about it cause a good razor is a good razor no matter what you pay for it. I think you could expect a very good razor with no quality control issues if you purchased one. If you want to try one out, PM me. I do believe they stain easily but that's a personal maintenance issue.

Thank you sir, PM sent.

173 23,486
 04-11-2013, 12:08 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I own two Harts. One a cut down and the other a 6/8 square point. Great razors, agree with all of the above. One word of caution. I got mine from Classic Edge. They don't hone them as they are "shave ready" out of the box. Sadly, not for my face. I had to do some honing of my own to get it to my liking. I would buy them pre-honed like any other straight razor.

Fine razor, you will enjoy it. Biggrin

16 542
 04-11-2013, 04:15 PM
User Info
I was given a Hart 7/8 satin round point this past Xmas. It has become my favorite shaver. My Dovos, Bokers and TI's have not been getting much use. I definititely will be acquiring other Harts

It was shave ready out of the box. The black plastic scales are not great and the blade has no engraving, but that's fine for a working tool. The hex nut pivot pin is a great plus for me. No more loose pins to tap tight only to have them loosen again. What I can't comment on what it's like to do a full honing on it, since I've only had to do touchups with CrOx and my Naniwa 12k.

Regarding price, you can spend more on some Dovos and TI's. In my mind the price is reasonable relative to the quality.

I live in Miami and have not had any rust issues.

And it's made in America!

37 2,907
 04-13-2013, 12:51 AM
User Info
(04-10-2013, 11:40 PM)Johnny Wrote: How much difference is there between using a 6/8 Vs 7/8 razor?

You would think not a lot, but there's actually quite a large difference in face feel. Going from 5/8 to 6/8 isn't too large of a leap, but 7/8 is pretty large.

You'll never know until you try. But you can get a feel for the difference by wielding some correctly sized objects around your face. I think.

(04-11-2013, 04:15 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: What I can't comment on what it's like to do a full honing on it, since I've only had to do touchups with CrOx and my Naniwa 12k.

I didn't notice any difference. The worst offenders are buffed razors and edges needing repair though.

9 2,988
 04-13-2013, 04:36 AM
User Info
Johnny, the mass of the larger razors seems to enhance the razor's effectiveness somewhat. I would have bought a 7/8 Hart but they weren't available at that time. As I stated upthread, I'm perfectly happy with the 6/8 though. Wouldn't trade it.

24 1,150
 04-15-2013, 07:48 AM
User Info
They make a good razor.
You don't here many complaints about them.
Think of it as a modern day vintage... meaning it going to be 1/4 grind with some weight to it.
The only real complaint I've seen is some think the price is a bit on the high side for what you get (ie: OK scales and somewhat basic razor).

Personally I haven't purchased one but I've tested and honed 7 or 8 of them. They always shaved nice.

0 93
 02-07-2014, 01:38 PM
User Info
Reviving an old thread here to add some thoughts on HartSteel. I've wanted one for a long time, but I'll admit to being in the camp that thought they were a bit overpriced, so, whenever I went to buy one, I ended up with a Wacker, T-I, or you name it. That was then ... This is now.

My Hart arrived in Wednesday's mail .. A day ahead of schedule. Ordered late Friday of last week, in Classic Shaving's system on Monday morning, and in my hot little hands Wednesday morning .. Very good service from Classic Shaving.

Opening the box, the razor is visually impressive! This tool is a handful .. There's lots of steel here! Been fighting snow since last week, so i had four days growth to experiment with. This razor was absolutely shave ready .. No ifs, and's or buts! The shave was even more impressive that it's stunning appearance. I cut one pass off the routine.

So the positives ...

1. Made in U.S.A. .... Very important to me!

2. O1 Tool Steel. At first, I was not sure this was the right choice for this application. At 62-63 Rc, this alloy is at it's limits. But, I have a soft spot for O1 .. I worked as a Tool&Die Maker since 1967, and Uddeholm O1 was our bread and butter .. a good 90% of our output used it, so it was like coming home to an old friend.

3. Attention to detail in construction. Surface grinding before and after heat treatment. Triple tempering, (which I'm not convinced is necessary, but it certainly can't hurt) and the cryogenics. When all put together, it works.

4. A button head socket cap screw for the pivot. IMO, this should be on every modern razor! As a bonus, it makes for easily interchangeable scales

5. The workmanship. This example by Bruce Gregory. The grind is dead even, polishing perfect and the scales very attractive.

6. The presentation. It lends to a feeling of a high quality product, and the deerskin pouch is a very nice touch indeed!

7. Less is more. I'm a lifelong adherent to this old Engineering Axiom. Too much glitz and glitter is just not for me! I want what I need for functionality, and not much more. Hart delivers here .. in spades.

And .. the negatives.

1. The price. $350 puts this blade in some pretty heady territory, and I knew going into this that this would be the bugaboo. I must admit that I was always in the camp that considered the Harts a wee bit dear. I still have not completely made up my mind, but first impressions have narrowed the gap. When one considers the hand workmanship by one Artisan, and the work, and attention to detail that goes into this razor, I'm much closer to being of the opinion that this blade is worth it. In any case, after the shave, I've already forgotten the price, and just fallen in love with this Hart.

So, here it is ... The only negative I can think of is that it took me so long to try one!!

[Image: 002_zpsa20aeb96.jpg]

[Image: 005_zpsfb35c1b5.jpg]

P.S.
The spots on the blade in the second photo are dust on the camera's sensor ... I must remedy that!

0 319