02-07-2014, 02:05 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(02-07-2014, 01:38 PM)BlacknTan Wrote: Reviving an old thread here to add some thoughts on HartSteel. I've wanted one for a long time, but I'll admit to being in the camp that thought they were a bit overpriced, so, whenever I went to buy one, I ended up with a Wacker, T-I, or you name it. That was then ... This is now.

My Hart arrived in Wednesday's mail .. A day ahead of schedule. Ordered late Friday of last week, in Classic Shaving's system on Monday morning, and in my hot little hands Wednesday morning .. Very good service from Classic Shaving.

Opening the box, the razor is visually impressive! This tool is a handful .. There's lots of steel here! Been fighting snow since last week, so i had four days growth to experiment with. This razor was absolutely shave ready .. No ifs, and's or buts! The shave was even more impressive that it's stunning appearance. I cut one pass off the routine.

So the positives ...

1. Made in U.S.A. .... Very important to me!

2. O1 Tool Steel. At first, I was not sure this was the right choice for this application. At 62-63 Rc, this alloy is at it's limits. But, I have a soft spot for O1 .. I worked as a Tool&Die Maker since 1967, and Uddeholm O1 was our bread and butter .. a good 90% of our output used it, so it was like coming home to an old friend.

3. Attention to detail in construction. Surface grinding before and after heat treatment. Triple tempering, (which I'm not convinced is necessary, but it certainly can't hurt) and the cryogenics. When all put together, it works.

4. A button head socket cap screw for the pivot. IMO, this should be on every modern razor! As a bonus, it makes for easily interchangeable scales

5. The workmanship. This example by Bruce Gregory. The grind is dead even, polishing perfect and the scales very attractive.

6. The presentation. It lends to a feeling of a high quality product, and the deerskin pouch is a very nice touch indeed!

7. Less is more. I'm a lifelong adherent to this old Engineering Axiom. Too much glitz and glitter is just not for me! I want what I need for functionality, and not much more. Hart delivers here .. in spades.

And .. the negatives.

1. The price. $350 puts this blade in some pretty heady territory, and I knew going into this that this would be the bugaboo. I must admit that I was always in the camp that considered the Harts a wee bit dear. I still have not completely made up my mind, but first impressions have narrowed the gap. When one considers the hand workmanship by one Artisan, and the work, and attention to detail that goes into this razor, I'm much closer to being of the opinion that this blade is worth it. In any case, after the shave, I've already forgotten the price, and just fallen in love with this Hart.

So, here it is ... The only negative I can think of is that it took me so long to try one!!

[Image: 002_zpsa20aeb96.jpg]

[Image: 005_zpsfb35c1b5.jpg]

P.S.
The spots on the blade in the second photo are dust on the camera's sensor ... I must remedy that!

Ha ... funny that you resurrected this thread! Nice review.

I just purchased one yesterday, and expect it to arrive on Monday.
7/8, square point, satin finish, with maple scales.

I've read various reviews, and it seems that many folks like this razor, with the main negative being price.
Although some have commented unfavorably about the aesthetics, i.e. the razor looks bland, I happen to like the simple, modern, no-nonsense look ... very 'American' ... Biggrin

113 19,279
 02-07-2014, 03:21 PM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
(02-07-2014, 01:38 PM)BlacknTan Wrote: Reviving an old thread here to add some thoughts on HartSteel. I've wanted one for a long time, but I'll admit to being in the camp that thought they were a bit overpriced, so, whenever I went to buy one, I ended up with a Wacker, T-I, or you name it. That was then ... This is now.

My Hart arrived in Wednesday's mail .. A day ahead of schedule. Ordered late Friday of last week, in Classic Shaving's system on Monday morning, and in my hot little hands Wednesday morning .. Very good service from Classic Shaving.

Opening the box, the razor is visually impressive! This tool is a handful .. There's lots of steel here! Been fighting snow since last week, so i had four days growth to experiment with. This razor was absolutely shave ready .. No ifs, and's or buts! The shave was even more impressive that it's stunning appearance. I cut one pass off the routine.

So the positives ...

1. Made in U.S.A. .... Very important to me!

2. O1 Tool Steel. At first, I was not sure this was the right choice for this application. At 62-63 Rc, this alloy is at it's limits. But, I have a soft spot for O1 .. I worked as a Tool&Die Maker since 1967, and Uddeholm O1 was our bread and butter .. a good 90% of our output used it, so it was like coming home to an old friend.

3. Attention to detail in construction. Surface grinding before and after heat treatment. Triple tempering, (which I'm not convinced is necessary, but it certainly can't hurt) and the cryogenics. When all put together, it works.

4. A button head socket cap screw for the pivot. IMO, this should be on every modern razor! As a bonus, it makes for easily interchangeable scales

5. The workmanship. This example by Bruce Gregory. The grind is dead even, polishing perfect and the scales very attractive.

6. The presentation. It lends to a feeling of a high quality product, and the deerskin pouch is a very nice touch indeed!

7. Less is more. I'm a lifelong adherent to this old Engineering Axiom. Too much glitz and glitter is just not for me! I want what I need for functionality, and not much more. Hart delivers here .. in spades.

And .. the negatives.

1. The price. $350 puts this blade in some pretty heady territory, and I knew going into this that this would be the bugaboo. I must admit that I was always in the camp that considered the Harts a wee bit dear. I still have not completely made up my mind, but first impressions have narrowed the gap. When one considers the hand workmanship by one Artisan, and the work, and attention to detail that goes into this razor, I'm much closer to being of the opinion that this blade is worth it. In any case, after the shave, I've already forgotten the price, and just fallen in love with this Hart.

So, here it is ... The only negative I can think of is that it took me so long to try one!!

[Image: 002_zpsa20aeb96.jpg]

[Image: 005_zpsfb35c1b5.jpg]

P.S.
The spots on the blade in the second photo are dust on the camera's sensor ... I must remedy that!
------------
Nice Piece, doubt that deerskin pouch will see much action...Wink

17 555
 02-07-2014, 08:13 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Gentlemen, I'm after some input...

I am looking at purchasing new my first Hart razor.

I've narrowed it down to these two:

Hart Steel Razor 7/8, Satin Finish, Round Point, Walnut Scales
(around $270 USD delivered to Australia)

and

Hart Steel Razor 6/8, Polished Finish, Square Point, Cocobolo Scales
(around $245 USD delivered to Australia)

I own only TI razors ("Wing" series and "Le Grelot). My current preference is the Le Grelot 6/8, 1/4 grind, shoulder-less.

As for the Hart, my preference would be 7/8, polished finish, square point (based purely on aesthetics and offering a point of difference to my current TI collection), but my choices are limited as I'm attempting to save a few dollars. I don't really care about the scales, it's the blade that interests me (besides I can always switch them).

Now for my questions:

Is there a significant difference between the 6/8 and 7/8 in terms of performance, feel and navigation?

Is Polished significantly more "stain resistant" than Satin?

Does a square point pose any significant challenge compared to a round point?

Finally, are Hart razors really shave ready from the box?

Any advice would be appreciated and thank-you in anticipation...

101 18,026
 02-07-2014, 08:25 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(02-07-2014, 08:13 PM)ben74 Wrote: Gentlemen, I'm after some input...

I am looking at purchasing new my first Hart razor.

I've narrowed it down to these two:

Hart Steel Razor 7/8, Satin Finish, Round Point, Walnut Scales
(around $270 USD delivered to Australia)

and

Hart Steel Razor 6/8, Polished Finish, Square Point, Cocobolo Scales
(around $245 USD delivered to Australia)

I own only TI razors ("Wing" series and "Le Grelot). My current preference is the Le Grelot 6/8, 1/4 grind, shoulder-less.

As for the Hart, my preference would be 7/8, polished finish, square point (based purely on aesthetics and offering a point of difference to my current TI collection), but my choices are limited as I'm attempting to save a few dollars. I don't really care about the scales, it's the blade that interests me (besides I can always switch them).

Now for my questions:

1. Is there a significant difference between the 6/8 and 7/8 in terms of performance, feel and navigation?

2. Is Polished significantly more "stain resistant" than Satin?

3. Does a square point pose any significant challenge compared to a round point?

4. Finally, are Hart razors really shave ready from the box?

Any advice would be appreciated and thank-you in anticipation...

1. No
2. More, but it can still stain.
3. Not for an experienced straight shaver.
4. No

186 25,807
 02-07-2014, 08:27 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(02-07-2014, 08:25 PM)Johnny Wrote:
(02-07-2014, 08:13 PM)ben74 Wrote: 1. Is there a significant difference between the 6/8 and 7/8 in terms of performance, feel and navigation?

3. Does a square point pose any significant challenge compared to a round point?

1. No
4. No

Thank-you Johnny.

A man of few words! Tongue But still helpful.

101 18,026
 02-07-2014, 10:18 PM
User Info
Man, the first time I saw these razors, awhile back, I feel in love with them! Simplistically beautiful! I only wish I used straights! I think they are much more beautiful than many of the well-known ones and I don't think they are over-priced, at all, considering that they are modern, hand-made razors!

Good luck with your decision, Ben! Smile

BlacknTan, that is a beautiful razor you have! Smile

91 21,284
 02-08-2014, 04:12 AM
User Info
I agree with all of Johnny's replies. I also prefer the square point to the round point.

I liked my Harts - I had three. They were utilitarian, but I didn't think they were worth the price.....I still don't.

However, that's probably because of my own personal preferences.

39 1,750
 02-08-2014, 04:17 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(02-07-2014, 08:27 PM)ben74 Wrote:
(02-07-2014, 08:25 PM)Johnny Wrote:
(02-07-2014, 08:13 PM)ben74 Wrote: 1. Is there a significant difference between the 6/8 and 7/8 in terms of performance, feel and navigation?

1. No
4. No

Thank-you Johnny.

A man of few words! Tongue But still helpful.

Sorry for the quick answers. I will say this, I have shaved with both the Hart and the TI and I much preferred the TI. I personally think after seeing your TI collection that you might be disappointed in the Hart.

186 25,807
 02-08-2014, 04:18 AM
User Info
(02-07-2014, 10:18 PM)celestino Wrote: Man, the first time I saw these razors, awhile back, I feel in love with them! S

Same. I love them.

If I'm correct they're only offered in wedge though. It seems like a half or full hollow might be better for a first (for myself).

12 848
 02-08-2014, 05:35 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(02-08-2014, 04:18 AM)ShaneN. Wrote:
(02-07-2014, 10:18 PM)celestino Wrote: Man, the first time I saw these razors, awhile back, I feel in love with them! S

Same. I love them.

If I'm correct they're only offered in wedge though. It seems like a half or full hollow might be better for a first (for myself).

The Hart razors are indeed advertised as being 1/4 grind, although people have commented that the blades feel more like a wedge.

Generally speaking, beginners are advised to start with full hollow blades ... as they are somewhat more forgiving, relatively speaking.

113 19,279
 02-08-2014, 05:53 AM
User Info
As for the questions posed ...

I've only tried a 7/8, but it is a signifigant piece of steel .. It's a big razor. Most folks may be better served with a 6/8.

Again, I've only tried the polished blade, but I do believe it would be more stain resistant than a satin finish. Less surface area, and far fewer places for moisture to hide. Just common sense!

A square point can be much more unforgiving than a round point, but I would not let that influence my decision either way. For the record, Hart's round point is waaaaaay to round for my tastes.

My Hart was absolutely shave ready straight from the box. It had a very impressive edge!

Finally, I've got alot of big name razors .. Pumas, Dorkos, T-I, Wackers, Revisors, not to mention Japanese Western styles ... This Hart takes a back seat to none of them, and quite frankly, I like it better than any of my T-I's.

If you're thinking about a Hart, they are very tough to beat!

And, thanks to all for the compliments and good thoughts!

P.S.

I agree with the others about the grind. I would not place it at quarter grind, but truly a Near Wedge!

0 335
 02-08-2014, 11:21 AM
  • PAPPY
  • BARBA NON FACIT PHILOSOPHUM
  • NY's sandbar
User Info
I have the 7/8 square point polished steel, black synthetic scales. Yes, it seems more prone to water staining. I am no metalurgist, but I'm guessing its the steel itself. It is a great razor, built in an American tradition - big,rough and ready. It is no frills, shaves great, and inspires fear in all the non SR shavers who see it. It is worth the price - IMHO.

0 11
 02-08-2014, 11:52 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Just arrived ...

Hart Steel 7/8, square point, satin finish, maple scales

[Image: XMD6nqQ.jpg]

113 19,279
 02-08-2014, 01:12 PM
User Info
Very nice, Sir!

Enjoy!!Wink

0 335
 02-08-2014, 01:35 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
When you decide you don't like it Ravi, just send it on over to Wisconsin. Biggrin

186 25,807
 02-08-2014, 01:44 PM
User Info
(02-08-2014, 05:35 AM)Agravic Wrote:
(02-08-2014, 04:18 AM)ShaneN. Wrote:

Same. I love them.

The Hart razors are indeed advertised as being 1/4 grind, although people have commented that the blades feel more like a wedge.

Generally speaking, beginners are advised to start with full hollow blades ... as they are somewhat more forgiving, relatively speaking.

Ravi -

Are you sure about your statement that beginners like full-hollow blades?

Everything I've ever read about straight shaving for beginners states that newbies like large wedge or near wedge blades, because their weight covers up improper shaving and stropping technique. Most newbies find small full hollows to be harsh (for the same reasons).

Anyway, in my own experience, I certainly found that to be the case. I loved wedges and 1/4 hollow blades to start out. Then I actually got good at straight shaving and honing and now I love 5/8" full-hollows. It's almost impossible to match the sharpness and smoothness of the edge you can get on a full-hollow blade.....especially on a wedge.

Still, that could just be my own experience, and may not tally with other's experiences, though I have heard of many people going through the same progression that I did.

-----------

Anyway, by the time I tried a Hart razor, I had already passed my infatuation with wedge and near-wedge razors. I found the Hart to be an elegant razor, but I didn't find it to be exceptional. Many other razors that I had were better matches for me.

I'll point out here that it had little to do with the weight and grind of the blade. I still have several 8/8"+ blades in my collection - some of those are wedges. While I don't like them as much as the smaller full-hollows I have, I still like to use them occasionally.

The Harts are slightly hollowed - just like most wedges from the 1800's. There are relatively few full wedge razors available - mostly because of the hassle in honing them.

-------------

Enjoy your Hart's. I encourage anyone who has the money to try one. They weren't worth the money for me, but other people love them.

39 1,750
 02-08-2014, 01:49 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Hmmm ... I must have misread this somewhere, Yohann.
Your comments are correct, regarding grind and relative ease for beginners.
Thank you for clarifying, as I don't want to spread misinformation!

Johnny, thank you for your offer ... I'll keep it in mind! Biggrin

113 19,279
 02-08-2014, 03:51 PM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
What's this, people actually shave with these things? I thought it was all about the SOTD pictures...Tongue

17 555
 02-08-2014, 03:53 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(02-08-2014, 03:51 PM)Macko Wrote: What's this, people actually shave with these things? I thought it was all about the SOTD pictures...Tongue

I bought my Hart to shave with ... SOTD photos are a bonus!

113 19,279
 02-08-2014, 04:15 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(02-08-2014, 04:17 AM)Johnny Wrote: Sorry for the quick answers. I will say this, I have shaved with both the Hart and the TI and I much preferred the TI. I personally think after seeing your TI collection that you might be disappointed in the Hart.

No need to apologise Johnny! I think you may have encouraged me to save my $...

101 18,026